Main Menu

Starting Over

Started by Hill CAP, August 19, 2011, 02:21:43 AM

Hill CAP

I have been a member of CAP since 1997 working my way up to a C/2d Lt then SM Capt.

I recently let my membership lapse. I am wondering if I should renew as a Capt or start over as a SM"WOG" and work my way up from the ground.

This comes after a Squadron I was a member of lost my personnel folder and a former commander when transfering me to Patron Status deleted all my Senior Specialty Track ratings and I have no paperwork to prove anything other then Encampment, ECI 13 and my Mitchell Award.
Justin T. Adkinson
Former C/1st Lt and SM Capt
Extended Hiatus Statues

Eclipse

How long was the lapse?

If less than 2 years you should be able to reup and resume your previous grade with no recourse from former commanders.

Would you be going to the same unit?  Someone benevolent to your cause should be able to recreate your records and
reinstate things you earned fairly easily. 

A Captain with a completed LII and ECI 13 is bound to have done specialty work as well, and reinstatement of those is on his say-so.

Not much point in giving up what you earned because someone lost your records and played games online.

You're showing a good example why members should keep a copy of everything important.

"That Others May Zoom"

brenaud

I would say renew as a Capt.  You did the work and have earned the grade.  Regarding the other parts of your personnel file, work through the chain of command.  You never know what reports might have been pulled by Group/Wing staff that could document what was deleted.  There are several reports I pull as a Group officer and since disk space is basically free I have a few years of old reports.  And, I don't know what National has access to that doesn't appear in the production version of e-Services, so they may be able to pull some of it, too. 
WILLIAM A. RENAUD, Lt Col, CAP
TNWG Director of Personnel & Administration
GRW #2699

Майор Хаткевич

How long was this lapse? As recently as this March you were assigned a new staff position in a unit. That's not even 6 months out from today.

That said, based on previous experience, maybe a fresh start would be good to re-learn the basics.

Hill CAP

My membership lapsed in June as I was unable to pay for it at the time.

My option is to go back to the unit that lost my records (the SQ/CC remembers giving them to the Personnel Officer but the Personnel Officer swears she never got them). This is the unit I joined originally in 1997 as a cadet.

Or go to a Squadron that is an hour away that feels that even if you transfer in to their unit as a CAP Lt Col with master ratings and Level 5 you should be striped of that and start out at the bottom.
Justin T. Adkinson
Extended Hiatus Statues

sarmed1

uhmmm? just renew....... put in a request for transfer to patron status; then shop units.

QuoteOr go to a Squadron that is an hour away that feels that even if you transfer in to their unit as a CAP Lt Col with master ratings and Level 5 you should be striped of that and start out at the bottom.

Is that even possible? I dont think a commander can strip you of rank/PD accomplishmwnt w/o cause......maybe I missed that in the regs

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

Hill CAP

Quote from: sarmed1 on August 20, 2011, 12:57:17 AM
uhmmm? just renew....... put in a request for transfer to patron status; then shop units.

QuoteOr go to a Squadron that is an hour away that feels that even if you transfer in to their unit as a CAP Lt Col with master ratings and Level 5 you should be striped of that and start out at the bottom.

Is that even possible? I dont think a commander can strip you of rank/PD accomplishmwnt w/o cause......maybe I missed that in the regs

mk

Its not that I know of. However that is how they feel and will treat you like your new to CAP even if you have like me 14 years under your belt.
Justin T. Adkinson
Extended Hiatus Statues

Майор Хаткевич

That commander sounds like a smackwad.

flyboy53

Quote from: Hill CAP on August 19, 2011, 11:31:03 PM

My option is to go back to the unit that lost my records (the SQ/CC remembers giving them to the Personnel Officer but the Personnel Officer swears she never got them). This is the unit I joined originally in 1997 as a cadet.

Or go to a Squadron that is an hour away that feels that even if you transfer in to their unit as a CAP Lt Col with master ratings and Level 5 you should be striped of that and start out at the bottom.

Just call NHQ and renew your membership. Do it soon so that you don't have to repeat anything. Then, if I were you, I'd quickly transfer to another unit. Losing a person's record so quickly is very suspicious.

Some squadron commander......

JC004

Quote from: flyboy1 on August 20, 2011, 09:13:05 AM

Just call NHQ and renew your membership. Do it soon so that you don't have to repeat anything. Then, if I were you, I'd quickly transfer to another unit. Losing a person's record so quickly is very suspicious.

What he said.  Stay under the 6 months mark so you don't have to do a new fingerprint card - less hassle.

Hill CAP

Quote from: flyboy1 on August 20, 2011, 09:13:05 AM

Losing a person's record so quickly is very suspicious.

I can not blame the Squadron Commander I believe him way before I believe the Personnel Officer. Considering I have other members that witnessed the Squadron Commander give the Personnel Officer the records.
Justin T. Adkinson
Extended Hiatus Statues

Майор Хаткевич

Was none of this info entered on e-services, etc?

Hill CAP

My Specialty tracks where however a former squadron commander in Florida deleted those tracks and according to NHQ unless I have paperwork proving my spec. tracks they can not be re-entered at the Senior or Tech Rating. I lost Admin, Personnel, DDR, and CP Senior Ratings and a Tech in ES
Justin T. Adkinson
Extended Hiatus Statues

RiverAux

I would hope that eservices would keep track of changes made in individual records and who authorized them.  If such items are subject to deletion at the whim of a squadron commander then we've got a major security gap in this system. 

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: RiverAux on August 20, 2011, 08:52:24 PM
I would hope that eservices would keep track of changes made in individual records and who authorized them.  If such items are subject to deletion at the whim of a squadron commander then we've got a major security gap in this system.
I agree...

There isn't a reason for the info to be deleted, unless it was an error/ you get removed from CAP.

They should keep backups, and changelogs.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Майор Хаткевич

The question again, is what motive would there be do delete everything.

jeders

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on August 20, 2011, 09:54:21 PM
Quote from: RiverAux on August 20, 2011, 08:52:24 PM
I agree...

There isn't a reason for the info to be deleted, unless it was an error/ you get removed from CAP.

They should keep backups, and changelogs.

They do, it's how I was able to prove the date that a previous squadron commander accidentally deleted my ES specialty track.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

a2capt

Something else I do periodically, besides keep originals of any paperwork, 2A's, and such is print to PDF, my eServices record, and stick it in gmail, plus also keep it locally.

Parsifal

Quote from: a2capt on August 20, 2011, 11:02:31 PM
Something else I do periodically, besides keep originals of any paperwork, 2A's, and such is print to PDF, my eServices record, and stick it in gmail, plus also keep it locally.

Good advice.

Just recently, I've started printing out eservices records, too, and placing them in my personally-maintained personnel file. I'm also converting them to PDF or XML files.

I started the practice because some of the dates for past duty positions in eservices inexplicably changed, crediting me with shorter periods of service than actually performed. I discovered that I didn't have any hard copy documentation for making corrections. I'd hate to have the same problem occur with my ops quals and other eservices records not normally maintained in a hard copy personnel file.

Hill CAP

Quote from: usafaux2004 on August 20, 2011, 08:07:03 PM
Was none of this info entered on e-services, etc?

It was and NHQ can show me who deleted them and what day they deleted it however they will not provide the info to re-instate the tracks.

The Sq Commander will not reinstate them unless he can find it in my 201 file which is missing.
Justin T. Adkinson
Extended Hiatus Statues