Main Menu

SLS

Started by William K. Bolan, February 24, 2016, 05:50:44 PM

William K. Bolan

When I go on to starting level two, do I have to participate in in residence SLS or can I do it online? The CAP website I checked did not give accurate information. The website is www.capmembers.com/cap_university/course_schedules/squadron-leadership-schools-sls/

SarDragon

That will depend partly on your individual wing policy, but I highly recommend in residence participation. The personal interactions of the class members and the potential networking opportunities within your wing, IMHO, far outweigh the "convenience" of the on-line method.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Holding Pattern

Currently during my tenure as a SM in CAP, every SLS course within 100 miles of me has occurred during a cyberpatriot competition, and I'm the coach for said competition. I've been told that due to this Wing is going to allow me to do the online course so as to not hold up my promotion eligibility.

That being said, if there is ever an in-residence SLS class that ISN'T on a day that I have prior commitments within reasonable driving distance, I intend to go to that as well.

Brit_in_CAP

I see that the OP is from my wing, VAWG.  Within VAWG there is currently no restriction on whether you attend a residential or online SLS.

SarDragon has an excellent point about the interactions but I did SLS as an online course for a variety of reasons, not least of which was that, at the time, VAWG did not have a SLS anywhere close to my location and had none planned. 

Personally, I am a fan of online classes that enable people to complete training that they can't sensibly attend in person, and I got a lot from the SLS I did via WYWG. 

If you want a more detailed level of feedback, let me know via PM.

jjmalott

I've done both the residence and the online class.  They both have their pros and cons. But, I personally liked the interaction with the  members of squadrons from all across the country. It was fun finding out how things were done in Texas, Washington, Maine, etc.  I still keep in touch with many of the connections I made through the online SLS. 

Jeff Malott, Lt Col, CAP
National eLearning Coordinator

THRAWN

Quote from: jjmalott on February 24, 2016, 09:23:31 PM
I've done both the residence and the online class.  They both have their pros and cons. But, I personally liked the interaction with the  members of squadrons from all across the country. It was fun finding out how things were done in Texas, Washington, Maine, etc.  I still keep in touch with many of the connections I made through the online SLS.

This is an interesting point. Sure, in the "residence" course you get to interact with some of the members of your wing. In the DL course, you get some exposure to best practices from across the country. It's something to consider...
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023