Main Menu

promotions

Started by William K. Bolan, February 09, 2016, 01:08:32 PM

William K. Bolan

Im William, 19 year old CAP Senior Member. I'd like to know how often a senior member can get promoted.

Garibaldi

Quote from: William K. Bolan on February 09, 2016, 01:08:32 PM
Im William, 19 year old CAP Senior Member. I'd like to know how often a senior member can get promoted.

Hello William.

One of the first courses you will take has to do with where to find things in the regs. But, since you are new I will lay it out for you.

As a 19 year old you can expect to complete the requirements for Flight Officer in six months. One year to TFO, and when you turn 21, you will transfer to the coordinating grade of first lieutenant. 18 months later you will be eligible for captain. There are many courses you will take and specialty tracks to complete during those timeframes, as well as your CAP job.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

William K. Bolan

Okay, I have another question. I joined in September of last year, is it possible to get promoted to second lieutenant by the time March rolls around?

dwb

Before you make FO, you'll need to complete Level I.

http://www.capmembers.com/cap_university/level-1-orientation/

I see you've done some of the training, and you've got your eServices account setup. The cadet protection training and the completion of the orientation course both require in-person summary conversations with your commander or another senior member.

Level I completion + six months of membership = eligible for Flight Officer (FO). Normally it'd be 2d Lt, but you're under 21 so you are in the flight officer ranks until you turn 21.

So, to answer the immediate question -- you won't be a 2d Lt until you're at least 21 years of age.

William K. Bolan

Garibaldi

Unless you're a former cadet, there are some things you need to be familiar with, especially regulations and such. I've included the links below to the appropriate regulations.

CAPR 35-5, CAP Officer and NCO appointments http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/R035_005_489E25C089E93.pdf

CAPM 39-1, The Uniform Manual http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/M391_E6F33EAAEC28A.pdf

CAPR 50-17, The CAP Senior Member Professional Development program http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/R050_017_AAC4BB3089BE0.pdf

And finally, when the time comes, you need to choose a specialty track. Here is the link to the appropriate pamphlet page http://www.capmembers.com/forms_publications__regulations/pamphlets-1702/

Good luck and welcome aboard.

William K. Bolan

JeffDG

Quote from: William K. Bolan on February 09, 2016, 01:54:37 PM
Okay, I have another question. I joined in September of last year, is it possible to get promoted to second lieutenant by the time March rolls around?

If you are 19, there is no chance for you to be promoted to 2nd Lt before March.  In order to be a 2nd Lt, you must be 21 years old.

vorteks

Quote from: Garibaldi on February 09, 2016, 01:35:01 PM
... 18 months later you will be eligible for captain.

You sure about that? Looks like it's 30 months T-I-G for duty performance promotion to Captain.

CAPR 35-5 (2-1b)

SarDragon

Check out Section G of 35-5. The promotion gates are closer together for FOs than they are for officers.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Garibaldi

Quote from: varitec on February 09, 2016, 05:18:54 PM

You sure about that? Looks like it's 30 months T-I-G for duty performance promotion to Captain.

CAPR 35-5 (2-1b)

I coulda sworn I went from 1LT to CPT in 18 months. But that was years ago. Like the mid 90s.

Let me think. 6 months to 2LT, 12 months to 1LT. Maybe I was thinking of the total time. 2.5 years sounds right, now. And 4 more years to MAJ.

jeders

Quote from: Garibaldi on February 09, 2016, 07:25:26 PM

CAPR 35-5 (2-1b)

I coulda sworn I went from 1LT to CPT in 18 months. But that was years ago. Like the mid 90s.

Let me think. 6 months to 2LT, 12 months to 1LT. Maybe I was thinking of the total time. 2.5 years sounds right, now. And 4 more years to MAJ.

Keep in mind that they changed the TIG requirements for 2nd Lt - Lt Col a year and a half ago.

It's currently 6 months to 2d Lt, 18 to 1 Lt, 30 to Capt, 48 to Maj, 60 to Lt Col.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

isuhawkeye

I was a flight officer back in the day and it looks like the requirements are in 35-5

CAPR 35-5 CORRECTED COPY 11 AUGUST 2014

Promotion To Minimum Skill Level Time-In-Grade
FO
Level I
3 months as member

TFO
Tech Rating
6 months as FO
(Specialty Track)

SFO
Level II
12 months as TFO

c. Special Provisions. In consideration of past training and experience, former CAP
cadets who have earned certain awards are eligible for flight officer grades without reference to
the training and time-in-grade requirements outlined in figure 9. The awards and grades authorized
for each are outlined in figure 10.

Award Initial Grade Grade at Age 21

Mitchell - FO - 2d Lt
Earhart - TFO - 1st Lt
Spaatz - SFO - Capt

Figure 10. Flight Officer Grades Authorized for Former CAP Cadets Who Have Earned
Certain Awards.

Гугл переводчик

Also, your unit commander is the approving authority on flight officer promotions,  as NHQ doesn't show Flight Officer ranks in eservices.
(Speaking as a former TFO)
Former C/Maj., CAP
1st Lt., CAP
SrA, USAF                                           

vorteks

Quote from: Garibaldi on February 09, 2016, 07:25:26 PM

CAPR 35-5 (2-1b)

Don't think. Check the regs.  >:D

Raikkonen

Don't get too caught up in rank.  You'll get it when you get it.  CAP "commissions" (more like appointments) don't come from the POTUS so outside of CAP they hold no weight anyway.  Focus on what you can do for the squadron and how you can be an asset to the unit.  The regulations outline all promotions and they are pretty thorough.  It's best to do all of your professional development and learn as much as you can.  Once you obtain a rank, more is expected of you and more responsibility will come.  Since we don't do a resident Officer Basic Course it's up to you to get the most out of the online training.  Don't just skim over everything.  Take your time and read through it.  There is a lot in there. 

JeffDG

Even insight CAP they hold very little weight.  But maybe that's my ES focus showing, but when I was a 2nd Lt AOBD, I fully expected Lt Cols MPs to do what I told them to, same when I was a 1st Lt IC...I think I had a bird colonel on one mission.  No generals yet.

Raikkonen

Quote from: JeffDG on February 09, 2016, 10:14:28 PM
Even insight CAP they hold very little weight.  But maybe that's my ES focus showing, but when I was a 2nd Lt AOBD, I fully expected Lt Cols MPs to do what I told them to, same when I was a 1st Lt IC...I think I had a bird colonel on one mission.  No generals yet.

True, outside of Cadet formations it really doesn't hold much weight either unless your Squadron is on point and treating the organization like a mil-org, which is fine.  I see no harm in that.  Discipline and structure within any organization is a good thing.

In and around aircraft, rank is moot even on active duty.  If I'm PIC as a Lieutenant and there's a full bird flying jump seat, then I still have complete command of the aircraft and the decisions that go with that.  What I say goes in the name of safety of my crew and my airframe.  He can try to court-martial me later but if I tell him to sit down and shut up (tactfully) that's what better happen at the time. 

Shuman 14

I have question regarding Flight Officers, is there any requirement/mandate that a Flight Officer must promote to a Commissioned Rank on turning 21 or could they chose to, remain a Flight Officer passed their 21st Birthday?
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

dwb

Flight Officers go back to just being plain-ol' SM when they turn 21. They are eligible for a promotion at that point, but it is not an automatic transition. You still need a CAPF 2 and commander approval.

NHQ doesn't actually track flight officer promotions in eServices, so they always appear as "SM" anyway.

Pace

Quote from: shuman14 on February 13, 2016, 02:20:53 PM
I have question regarding Flight Officers, is there any requirement/mandate that a Flight Officer must promote to a Commissioned Rank on turning 21 or could they chose to, remain a Flight Officer passed their 21st Birthday?

Quote7-1. General. Only members between 18 and 20 years of age will be appointed to or promoted to the flight officer grades. This category is designed as a transition for cadets transferring to active member status and for those members who are otherwise eligible for CAP officer grade except that they have not yet reached the minimum age of 21. Upon reaching age 21, the member will be appointed to an appropriate officer grade or will be classified as a member without grade until he or she is eligible for promotion to officer grade. Since FO promotions are approved at the local levels, these grades are not recorded by National Headquarters and are not reflected on the membership card.
Lt Col, CAP

Shuman 14

Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

SARDOC

Quote from: Pace on February 13, 2016, 02:36:59 PM
Quote from: shuman14 on February 13, 2016, 02:20:53 PM

Quote7-1. General. Only members between 18 and 20 years of age will be appointed to or promoted to the flight officer grades. This category is designed as a transition for cadets transferring to active member status and for those members who are otherwise eligible for CAP officer grade except that they have not yet reached the minimum age of 21. Upon reaching age 21, the member will be appointed to an appropriate officer grade or will be classified as a member without grade until he or she is eligible for promotion to officer grade. Since FO promotions are approved at the local levels, these grades are not recorded by National Headquarters and are not reflected on the membership card.

How hard can it be to add the FO ranks to eservices?  I think the days of not tracking it anymore is just kind of silly.  It would be helpful to know who in your Squadron/Group/Wing are eligible to promote via the reporting mechanism in eservices instead of overlooking somebody because they don't appear on the report with everyone else.