Recruiting- How do you do it?

Started by Walker, January 04, 2016, 09:01:07 PM

Walker

A few weeks ago, a Cadet mentioned that the five branches often come to his school and set up booths for recruiting, and that we (CAP) should do the same. I liked the idea, talked to some of the other staff, and got the "go-ahead". I have a rough idea of how I would like this to go, but I'd also like to ask some of you how you handle this form of recruiting.

SM Nate Walker

AdAstra

Quote from: Walker on January 04, 2016, 09:01:07 PM
A few weeks ago, a Cadet mentioned that the five branches often come to his school and set up booths for recruiting, and that we (CAP) should do the same. I liked the idea, talked to some of the other staff, and got the "go-ahead". I have a rough idea of how I would like this to go, but I'd also like to ask some of you how you handle this form of recruiting.

First, the "go-ahead" you need is from your squadron commander; talk to him first.

Second, clearly define who you are trying to recruit at the school. The military recruiters have a very specific candidate they are seeking: 16-18 years old and soon-to-be high school graduate. These are exactly the cadets who will be leaving very soon as they enter college or the work force. CAP ought to be looking for 12-14 year olds, so middle schools would be more appropriate.

Third, take a look at what your (prospective) "competition" --- the military recruiter --- is offering and displaying: slick brochures, displays, hardware, etc. Can you match his display? If not, potential cadets will walk right past you. For example, several years ago, I set up a CAP information/recruiting table at a local event, and all day long watched the crowd around the Marine Corps display, with their tricked-out HumVees with loud stereo systems, and a chin-up bar. Can't do more that X chin-ups, son? Go talk to the Navy. You did Y chin-ups? Good, the Army will be interested in you. WOW, you did over Z chin-ups? Let's talk!!

Suggestion: talk to the local Air Force recruiter. Most keep lists of interested prospects who are too young to join. Many recruiters will share these lists if you explain that today's CAP cadets are potential future Air Force recruits.

Over the years, I've spoken at Career Days at both high schools and middle schools, and a number of community groups. I've designed and set up information/recruiting displays at many air shows, community events, etc. All have potential for recruiting, but each requires a slightly different, tailored approach. You have to grab the attention and appeal to the audience at hand.

Every recruiting effort requires thoughtful planning, and investment in time and money to make it successful. Good luck!

Charles Wiest

MHC5096

When I was a Squardon Commander, I developed a good working relationship with the local USAF and ANG recruiters. We would regularly set up joint recruiting displays at malls, career days, air shows, etc. A win-win-win for all involved.
Mark H. Crary
Lt Col, CAP (1990-Present)
DDC-P, CGAUX (2011-Present)
MSgt, USAF (1995-2011)
QM2, USN (1989-1995)

FW

It is best to target 13 and 14 yo students for recruitment.  Depending on your local school district, that might be the local middle school.  15 yo students are ok, however they may not have the time to progress thru the program.  Many cadets, reaching college age, lose interest in the program.... just a thought.

I have found recruiting at the middle schools to be enjoyable.  Setting up an assembly program, with videos and well dressed cadets to help with the presentation always met with success.

THRAWN

It depends on who you're trying to recruit. Do you need cadets? Recruiting in middle schools is a great way to do that. Make sure that you're working closely within your chain of command and with the districts. Some school districts are hesitant to have "the military" come to their schools. However, many schools now have a public service requirement for graduation and CAP would fit that well.

Identify who you need to recruit. Do you need ES types? Target them. Need AE types? Target them. Need a chaplain? You get the idea. Don't just shotgun your efforts. Be smart about it and actually recruit, vice sign people up as they wander in...
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

baronet68

Quote from: MHC5096 on January 05, 2016, 12:45:01 PM
When I was a Squardon Commander, I developed a good working relationship with the local USAF and ANG recruiters. We would regularly set up joint recruiting displays at malls, career days, air shows, etc. A win-win-win for all involved.

Don't limit yourself to recruiters in the Air Force family.  Over the years, I've had great relationships with recruiters from all branches.  They often get visitors who are too young but instead of saying, "Sorry Junior, come back when you're older..." they can say, "Hey, you know there is this other military-oriented group you've probably never heard of... " 
Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

MHC5096

Agreed. I specifically mentioned the AF and ANG recruiters because we conducted join activities together. I made a point to introduce myself to all of the military recruiters in the area and allowed them to make presentations at the squadron. They picked up leads from us and sent leads our way.
Mark H. Crary
Lt Col, CAP (1990-Present)
DDC-P, CGAUX (2011-Present)
MSgt, USAF (1995-2011)
QM2, USN (1989-1995)

Walker

Thank you all for your replies. Most of this hasn't crossed my mind yet, and will make this recruiting drive that mich stronger.

AdAstra, I neglected to mention that my Squadron Commander has been informed and is supportive. I've also talked to the head of Cadet Programs at my squadron as well the deputy for that program.
SM Nate Walker

stillamarine

Reach out to the schools counselor. They will normally be the one who set you up for coming in the school. When you meet with them leave some business cards and flyers.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com