Specialty Tracks without prerequisites?

Started by Walker, November 09, 2015, 08:51:02 PM

Walker

Hello,

I joined CAP with the intention of choosing Emergency Services as my specialty track, with Ground Team as my specialty. However, I have found that one must reach "Technician" rating in another specialty track before being able to start ES. I looked around and found Recruiting and Retention, which also sounds interesting, but it too has the "technician" prerequisite.

I'm curious, what are the Specialty Tracks I could start right now, in order to get into ES later?

For reference: I'm unrated (Senior Member/SM) and have finished my Level I's.

Thank you all for the help.

-SM Walker
SM Nate Walker

arajca

I think you're mis-reading the pamphlet (CAPP 213). To get a Technician rating on Emergency Services, you must be qualified in an ES specialty (like Ground Team) for 1 year. You do not need to have a rating in another specialty track to get your ES Technician rating. You will, however, need to complete the tasks listed in the pamphlet to get your ES Tech rating in addition to getting your GTM rating.

The disconnect is between "Specialty Track" and "Emergency Services specialty". They are not the same. Specialty Track is your CAP 'career' like Admin, Logistics, Finance, Operations, etc. Basically what you do at the unit to help keep it running smoothly. Emergency Services specialty is the qualification you have to participate in ES missions like GT, Mission Pilot, Scanner, Radio Operator, etc. These are not the same as the Specialty Tracks, although there may be some overlap (progression in the Communications track requires ES Communications qualifications). Most Specialty Tracks do not tie into ES specialties. For example, your unit's Finance Officer may hold an Ground Branch Director ES qualification and not a Finance/Admin Section Chief qualification. Likewise, your Ground Team Leader may be your unit's Recruiting Officer and not in the ES track at all.

There may be a couple Specialty Tracks that require a rating in another track before starting, but those require a depth of knowledge about CAP that someone fresh from joining won't have.

MacGruff

I'm with Arajca here. Please look in e-services at the "Operations Qualifications" application. If you then click on "Entry/View Worksheet"; enter your CAPID number; then select "GTM3" you will see what you need to get that qualification.

Having a Technician in any specialty is NOT a requirement.

If you want more detailed information, the Personnel office in your Squadron or the ES officer should be able to give you some guidance.

Walker

Quote from: arajca on November 09, 2015, 09:08:17 PM
I think you're mis-reading the pamphlet (CAPP 213). To get a Technician rating on Emergency Services, you must be qualified in an ES specialty (like Ground Team) for 1 year. You do not need to have a rating in another specialty track to get your ES Technician rating. You will, however, need to complete the tasks listed in the pamphlet to get your ES Tech rating in addition to getting your GTM rating.

The disconnect is between "Specialty Track" and "Emergency Services specialty". They are not the same. Specialty Track is your CAP 'career' like Admin, Logistics, Finance, Operations, etc. Basically what you do at the unit to help keep it running smoothly. Emergency Services specialty is the qualification you have to participate in ES missions like GT, Mission Pilot, Scanner, Radio Operator, etc. These are not the same as the Specialty Tracks, although there may be some overlap (progression in the Communications track requires ES Communications qualifications). Most Specialty Tracks do not tie into ES specialties. For example, your unit's Finance Officer may hold an Ground Branch Director ES qualification and not a Finance/Admin Section Chief qualification. Likewise, your Ground Team Leader may be your unit's Recruiting Officer and not in the ES track at all.

There may be a couple Specialty Tracks that require a rating in another track before starting, but those require a depth of knowledge about CAP that someone fresh from joining won't have.

Thank you for clarifying that. The fact that one needs a solid knowledgebase regarding CAP to be in Recruiting and Retention makes sense.

I'm set to talk to my PDO tonight, and I'll bring this up. Hopefully I can get started on the ES career soon.
SM Nate Walker

arajca

Quote from: Walker on November 09, 2015, 10:06:38 PM
Quote from: arajca on November 09, 2015, 09:08:17 PM

Thank you for clarifying that. The fact that one needs a solid knowledgebase regarding CAP to be in Recruiting and Retention makes sense.

I'm set to talk to my PDO tonight, and I'll bring this up. Hopefully I can get started on the ES career soon.
Bring a copy of the pamphlet along, or have it available on a computer.