Prior Mitchell to 2nd LT as a Senior - 6 month wait?

Started by xray328, July 18, 2015, 02:35:08 PM

PHall

Quote from: xray328 on July 19, 2015, 01:22:54 PM

Quote from: PHall on July 19, 2015, 04:56:40 AM
If I was the Squadron Commander you would have to present a pretty good case to give you a quick promotion after a 21 year break.
Basically, how will the squadron benefit from you being a 2d Lt right now?
So make your case.

I'll let my squadron commander make that decision. I'm not opening myself up to online judgement as to wether I deserve it or not.  No disrespect intended, but after yesterday's attack I've just had enough of that sort of thing, thanks.

I didn't mean make your case here. I meant make your case to your Squadron Commander.

xray328

MacGruff

In the grand scheme of things, waiting six months is no big deal. I can tell you that in my case, an advanced grade was an option I could have pursued. I chose not to. I waited the six months for my 2nd Lieutenant, the required TIG for 1st Lieutenant and am getting those things I need to be promoted to Captain in a couple of years. I found that it took me about 18 months to get comfortable with the organization and how it operates, let alone the people in the squadron and their strength and weaknesses.

By way of counter example, a close friend of mine joined at the same time and requested - and received - his Major grade within a couple of months of joining. Another member who joined at the same time as the two of us, insisted on getting his Captain grade, and got it. The Captain is long gone, and my friend, the Major, will probably drop out soon. The expectations on them given their grades were more than they were ready to deal with.

To each their own and do not think of this as any kind of advice. I chose my own course and it's working for me.

8)

Capt Thompson

Just went through a similar situation in January when I returned after a 13 year absence. The approving authority for your 2d Lt is the Squadron Commander, and he/she can do it at any time, at his/her discretion with a form 2.

With that said, as MacGruff pointed out, a S/M can sit back and relax a bit, and get reacquainted with the program. Once you sew on the butter bars, you'll be expected to take on responsibilities that you may not be quite ready for. Don't rush through the training, as knowledge will diminish more quickly if you cram it all in, while simultaneously doing ICUT and Gen ES and everything else. Take the time to learn the program, get comfortable with working with the other Seniors and Cadets, and then when you feel you're ready for the responsibility, have a discussion with the Squadron CC.
Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)