Unit structure & seniority

Started by Walkman, March 04, 2014, 09:22:03 PM

Walkman

In a composite squadron, does either deputy have "seniority" or command authority over the other? In the absence of the unit CC, who should be next in line to take charge of a meeting or activity. I always looked at them as equal in command over their respective sections, but it was recently hinted to me that I am incorrect. I couldn't find the answer in R20-1.

EMT-83

You are indeed correct. However, it's not a bad idea to state the commander's preference in case it comes up unexpectedly.

FW

Deputy Commanders have authority deligated to them by the Sq. Commander. Who is responsible in the event of absence of the "boss" depends on the commander's wishes. A deputy commander is not "superior" (when it comes to higher authority) to another deputy per se.

Senority, BTW, is dependent upon grade and rank; a discussion we've been subjected to on CT many times... ::)

JeffDG

The commander really should do a memo for the record to clarify who's in charge in his absence, in case it's unexpected.

If it's just a meeting that he's missing, he can just designate one of the deputies to run things for that meeting pretty easily.

Brit_in_CAP

Like he said:
Quote from: JeffDG on March 04, 2014, 09:53:40 PM
The commander really should do a memo for the record to clarify who's in charge in his absence, in case it's unexpected.

If it's just a meeting that he's missing, he can just designate one of the deputies to run things for that meeting pretty easily.
Put it in writing so as to clear the confusion and also quell the noise from others... >:D

FlyTiger77

I actually put it on my organization chart. Why make it hard to find?
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

Storm Chaser

While both deputy commanders in a composite squadron are technically equal, the deputy commander for seniors supervises the majority of the unit staff and have more eServices permissions and, consequently, additional approval authority in the squadron. That makes him/her more suitable to take charge of the unit in the absence of the commander.

That said, the squadron commander can designate either one of them as interim commander with a personnel authorization. The squadron commander can also give temporary commander permissions in eServices to either one of them. The deputy with the most experience and leadership skills should be the one designated by the commander.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Storm Chaser on March 05, 2014, 03:24:40 AM
While both deputy commanders in a composite squadron are technically equal, the deputy commander for seniors supervises the majority of the unit staff and have more eServices permissions and, consequently, additional approval authority in the squadron. That makes him/her more suitable to take charge of the unit in the absence of the commander.

That said, the squadron commander can designate either one of them as interim commander with a personnel authorization. The squadron commander can also give temporary commander permissions in eServices to either one of them. The deputy with the most experience and leadership skills should be the one designated by the commander.

Actually, based on my own rights, CDS doesn't have as many buttons as you would think. I can't even put people in for promotion without generic CD rights.

We have an informal agreement in my unit that the CDS is #2 for absence purposes.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on March 05, 2014, 03:32:45 AM

Quote from: Storm Chaser on March 05, 2014, 03:24:40 AM

Actually, based on my own rights, CDS doesn't have as many buttons as you would think. I can't even put people in for promotion without generic CD rights.

We have an informal agreement in my unit that the CDS is #2 for absence purposes.

You're correct. A CD duty assignment has more permissions than a CDS assignment. However, CDC assignments only have permissions related to the Cadet Programs, while CDS have operational permissions such as Ops Quals and ORMS. Ultimately, the commander can give additional permissions to either one of them, so eServices shouldn't be the deciding factor.

I think the reason why many commanders chose their CDS as interim commanders in their absence is because the CDS supervise the majority of the squadron staff. Of course, that's not always the case and the CDC could be placed in charge.

Tim Medeiros

When I first took command, commanders were actually not able to grant the CC_TEMP permissions to CDCs, only CDS, CD/CV and DOs.  This has obviously since changed, however that is what I used when I first was deciding who had "seniority" when I was out of town.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

lordmonar

One of the reasons why 20-1 is so jacked.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Майор Хаткевич

Seems in any balanced unit the CDS has more overall coverage. In the absense of a commander, a CDC should have no issues running that side of the house. On the other side, I've seen some chickens without heads action in those situations.

Eclipse

There should never be any question who is in charge, but as far as who is has more authority, the CDC or CDS, neither - they are equals.
Both are CDs, with, as indicated, specific areas of delegation and assignment, but neither the former nor then latter implies any chain.

If a Personnel matter requires a "command decision", then it would go to the CDS.  If a CP issue required one, the CDC, but as they are equals, neither is precluded from acting in the CCs stead for either side's duties in the absence of both the CC and the other.  Acting with the
full knowledge that you're only taking action or making decisions that require an immediate involvement, otherwise you leave things for when
the primary is back.

With that said, if you have a pair where either or both are so clueless as to both their place in CAP and the realities of volunteer organizations,
one or both needs to be replaced.

In other words, in the temporary or unexpected short-term absence of the CC, things should progress normally
with no interruption or drama.

"That Others May Zoom"

jeders

Quote from: Eclipse on March 05, 2014, 06:37:08 AM
[Good stuff that should be briefed to every commander and deputy.]

In other words, in the temporary or unexpected short-term absence of the CC, things should progress normally
with no interruption or drama.

This is by far the best answer.

The way I see it, a well-functioning squadron with both a CDC and CDS should be able to operate without the commander setting foot inside the door. The commander should be generally guiding the whole squadron while the CDs execute the mission as it pertains to their side of the house. And so, if the commander doesn't show up to a meeting, everything should continue as normal. If their is a known long-term absence during which strategic decisions may need to be made, the commander can appoint whichever deputy he wishes to act as acting commander at that time.

Now in my experience, when I've been a CC or CD, we didn't have both a CDC and CDS. Usually the commander either handled the cadet side or the senior side and appointed a deputy for the other half. This is the unfortunate reality of not having enough people to warrant multiple deputies.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse