Main Menu

SM meeting activities

Started by Walkman, July 10, 2013, 03:00:02 AM

Walkman

We're transitioning from a cadet to composite. For the last year or so, even though we're officially a composite, we're still running things like its just CP going on.

I'm looking for ideas aside from ES training for our SMs to do on meeting night. I've seen a few things here and there on CT, but most of it is generic "do some PD work". I'd like to get some real details. How do you do PD when everyone has a different job?

What are other specific ideas for meetings I can submit to the SDC?

BHartman007

Our squadron spends so much time with CP during the normal meeting nights that the CC is toying with the idea of having a second meeting night for just seniors to do aircrew and ES stuff and the like. We have a fairly small number of active seniors, and most of them are involved in one way or another in CP.

Wing Assistant Director of Administration
Squadron Deputy Commander for Cadets

RiverAux

WIWSC, our senior side didn't do "PD" activities, but almost always spent most of the meeting doing ES-related training, usually, but not always, with a focus on aircrew operations.  Unlike many composite squadrons , our seniors only met twice a month so coming up with good topics wasn't quite as hard.  Frankly, I don't think weekly senior meetings are necessary, but thats a different topic. 

Eclipse

For the most part, the only reason for seniors not involved in the CP to be members is ES, what else is there?
Everything else is just a derivative of those two things (yes, even AE, which is a separate mission by lip service only)

Whatever you land on, you should make sure to have a full, detailed calendar based on the fiscal year.

You meetings should include preparation for SUI (or records updates and other administrivia), training (or using) on the various
necessary systems needed to be successful, both CAP-owned and others, briefings from various departments on
what other echelons are doing, needing, or could be doing for you.

The biggest part if the startup - assessing the mission needs your unit can fit, and the interests of your members, there should be a balance
of those.

As to PD, I agree that can be a challenge with a small unit and everyone with different specialties, but some early work should be
spent getting everyone tuned up and with an understanding on how PD works, and what they will need to do, then
adding related tasks and classes, etc., to the calendar. 

"That Others May Zoom"

SunDog

FWIW, our Cadets, and SM's involved in CP, meet weekly. The rest of us SM's, mostly ES aircrew, meet twice a month. The sqdn CC shows for all the meetings. I think most of the aircrew wouldn't recognize our sqdn Cadets on the street, as O rides are done by all our nearby sqdns, mix and match. I'm not sure if I've had one of our cadets in the plane recently, or not - maybe, but probably most of the Cadets I've flown were from other sqdns. O rides aren't a real big part of flying hours.

Seems to work OK -  the SM's involved in CP seem busy and get a lot done. Tough for aircrew (at least those not retired!) to find time to stay flying proficient and do much with CP.

Most of our ES PD is done outside the meetings. A couple of people get together when prepping for a new qual, etc. Meetings are to get the safety square filled, and whatever business needs to be attended to.  If I've flown a lot one month, like as not I won't make it to a meeting at all.

bflynn

This is the agenda for our next SM meeting, it may be appropriate for you to use to structure a meeting.  We typically get through this in about an hour, give or take.  We spend a second hour with either staff officers meeting with the squadron commander or staff officers being available to meet with members.  Keep in mind that our squadron is on the large side, so there are many people who are not staff officers.

Meeting agenda:
o   Pledges
o   Invocation 
o   Introductions
o   Announcements and Administrative Matters
o   Squadron / Wing / MER Event Calendar
o   Safety Briefing
o   Aero Space Education OR Special Presentations / Activity
o   Level III Briefing

I'm actually not sure what the Level III briefing is, it's not a normal item on the schedule.  But we always have a safety briefing and either an AE or special topic briefing.  Safety briefings alternate between something aviation focused and general safety.  Examples of general safety briefings might be heat injuries, local poisonious snakes and plants or a review of the operation of and driving characteristics of the CAP passenger van.  They are focused on activites that are relevant to CAP.

Helpful?

Walkman

Quote from: bflynn on July 11, 2013, 06:34:36 PM
This is the agenda for our next SM meeting, it may be appropriate for you to use to structure a meeting.  We typically get through this in about an hour, give or take.  We spend a second hour with either staff officers meeting with the squadron commander or staff officers being available to meet with members.  Keep in mind that our squadron is on the large side, so there are many people who are not staff officers.

Meeting agenda:
o   Pledges
o   Invocation 
o   Introductions
o   Announcements and Administrative Matters
o   Squadron / Wing / MER Event Calendar
o   Safety Briefing
o   Aero Space Education OR Special Presentations / Activity
o   Level III Briefing

I'm actually not sure what the Level III briefing is, it's not a normal item on the schedule.  But we always have a safety briefing and either an AE or special topic briefing.  Safety briefings alternate between something aviation focused and general safety.  Examples of general safety briefings might be heat injuries, local poisonious snakes and plants or a review of the operation of and driving characteristics of the CAP passenger van.  They are focused on activites that are relevant to CAP.

Helpful?

How often do you meet?

Critical AOA

Invocation as in a prayer?  Highly inappropriate.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

GroundHawg

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on July 12, 2013, 02:45:44 AM

I disagree. We have Chaplains for a reason. If you don't agree with the message then step out of the room, or plan an alternate activity if you believe there are more than just you that are not interested.

I don't have any interest in Aircrew, so guess what? I don't participate in it! I don't think that the rest of the squadron should be barred from Aircrew training because I don't have an interest in it. It is a viable program, just as is the Cadet Program, Communications, Legal, ES, etc...and whether you like it or not the Chaplains as well.

Eclipse

Quote from: GroundHawg on July 12, 2013, 09:12:20 AMI disagree. We have Chaplains for a reason. If you don't agree with the message then step out of the room, or plan an alternate activity if you believe there are more than just you that are not interested.

That's not how it works.

"That Others May Zoom"

jeders

That's what I thought too, but it seems we're both wrong.

Quote from: CAPP 265-4, 2-2
a. Opening unit meetings with prayer. If you
desire, you may have a moment of silent prayer
and thus encourage members to search for
creative ways to express their innermost
feelings. If you do pray aloud, be sure to offer
an INTERFAITH-type prayer.

Now if the prayer is not interfaith or non-denominational, then that would be highly inappropriate.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Eclipse

Quote from: jeders on July 12, 2013, 02:45:28 PM
Now if the prayer is not interfaith or non-denominational, then that would be highly inappropriate.

That was my point - no real issue if the commander feels a prayer is important, but it can't be
religion specific, and no one should have to leave the room.

Even a lot of Chaplains newsletters seem to miss this point.

"That Others May Zoom"

jeders

Quote from: Eclipse on July 12, 2013, 03:05:56 PM
Quote from: jeders on July 12, 2013, 02:45:28 PM

That was my point - no real issue if the commander feels a prayer is important, but it can't be
religion specific, and no one should have to leave the room.

Even the a lot of Chaplains newsletters seem to miss this point.

Unfortunately, true. My squadron is fortunate to have a former AF Reserve Chaplain who actually understands the non-denominational requirements.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

bflynn

Yes, as in a prayer led by a chaplain.  Highly appropriate and nobody who voluntarily shows up objects to it.  I believe that if anyone isn't interested in prayer, they have respect for the majority that does and they stand silently while we pray.

We meet about every two weeks, the first and third Thursdays of the month.

Eclipse

Quote from: bflynn on July 12, 2013, 07:17:25 PM
...nobody who voluntarily shows up objects to it.

Which is generally an indication only of the "wave-making" tolerance of anyone who may be offended.

For some reason people seem to miss or ignore this point.

But regardless, even if you know the room is full of only one faith, the Chaplin is supposed to remain non-denominational in any public comments
or invocations.

"That Others May Zoom"

jeders

Yes, as in a prayer led by a chaplain.  Highly appropriate...
... as long as it is not based in any one faith and it is not construed as proselytizing.

Quote from: Eclipse on July 12, 2013, 07:26:07 PM
...nobody who voluntarily shows up objects to it.

Which is generally an indication only of the "wave-making" tolerance of anyone who may be offended.

Not necessarily. When I was in high school band, we would have no less than three student or faculty led prayers before/during each football game, four for away games. Myself and one of the drum majors were both atheists and chose to stand quietly while everyone else prayed. We did this, not because we didn't want to make waves, but out of respect for those that did want to pray. It would have been disrespectful to make a bunch of noise leaving the area and coming back after the prayer was over and would have seriously disrupted schedules.

Quote from: Eclipse on July 12, 2013, 07:26:07 PM
But regardless, even if you know the room is full of only one faith, the Chaplin is supposed to remain non-denominational in any public comments
or invocations.
This is the most important part, right here.

Майор Хаткевич

I have yet hear a CAP chaplain meet the requirements. As an atheist I just don't care, but seems interfaith is NOT something they can handle...

Eclipse

Quote from: usafaux2004 on July 12, 2013, 08:05:15 PM
I have yet hear a CAP chaplain meet the requirements. As an atheist I just don't care, but seems interfaith is NOT something they can handle...

I worked with one of the most awesome Chaplins in CAP - someone who totally "got it", sadly he moved to another wing.
You may have worked with him as well.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

GroundHawg

Quote from: Eclipse on July 12, 2013, 02:37:54 PM
Quote from: GroundHawg on July 12, 2013, 09:12:20 AMI disagree. We have Chaplains for a reason. If you don't agree with the message then step out of the room, or plan an alternate activity if you believe there are more than just you that are not interested.

That's not how it works.

Please explain to me how it works then. I would love to know.