New Group Personnel Officer

Started by West MI-CAP-Ret, November 26, 2012, 08:10:06 AM

West MI-CAP-Ret

8)
Having been newly appointed as a group personnel officer, can someone point me to something that will help me do my job?

Thanks
MAJ DAVID J. D'ARCY, CAP (Ret) 8 Apr 2018 (1974-1982, 1988-2018)
A former member of:
West Michigan Group MI-703,
Hudsonville Cadet Sqdron MI-135 (name changed to Park Township, Al Johnson Cadet Sqdrn)
Lakeshore Cadet Sqdrn MI-119
Van Dyke Cadet Sqdrn, MI-117
Phoenix Cadet Sqdrn MI-GLR-MI-065 (inactive)
Novi Sixgate Cadet Sqdrn (inactive), MI-068
Inkster Cherry Hill Cadet Sqdrn MI-GLR-MI-283 (inactive)

EMT-83

Your continuity book; hopefully there is one.

MSG Mac

39-1, 39-3' 35-5' 20-1', CAPP 200 to name a few
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Pylon

Once you have your group HQ personnel issues sorted, don't forget to reach out to your squadron counterparts (with yours and theirs commander's concurrence, of course, out of courtesy) to see how they can be helped/aided in completing their jobs.  Maybe you find the need to visit them to help walk them through things like building a continuity file, or maybe you'll find a need for training and organize a weekend personnel officer workshop bringing in some experience personnel officers from the wing to instruct, or maybe you'll find they don't need any help (but it will still be good to build those connections).
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

arajca

If you're still treading water, see which subordinate units have experienced personnel officers and how they've done in SUIs. Those that have experience AND have done well in SUIs may be able to provide information.

Do not try to impose additional reporting requirements on the units.

Eclipse

Quote from: arajca on November 26, 2012, 04:41:49 PM
If you're still treading water, see which subordinate units have experienced personnel officers and how they've done in SUIs. Those that have experience AND have done well in SUIs may be able to provide information.

Do not try to impose additional reporting requirements on the units.

+1 - also, get a copy of the Group's last SUI and see what the results were, or at least pull the Personnel section of the SUI guide
from the IG website - that will tell you what is actually required.

"That Others May Zoom"

West MI-CAP-Ret

Thanks a lot. 

I'll print all these helpful suggestions for my own file.

:-)
MAJ DAVID J. D'ARCY, CAP (Ret) 8 Apr 2018 (1974-1982, 1988-2018)
A former member of:
West Michigan Group MI-703,
Hudsonville Cadet Sqdron MI-135 (name changed to Park Township, Al Johnson Cadet Sqdrn)
Lakeshore Cadet Sqdrn MI-119
Van Dyke Cadet Sqdrn, MI-117
Phoenix Cadet Sqdrn MI-GLR-MI-065 (inactive)
Novi Sixgate Cadet Sqdrn (inactive), MI-068
Inkster Cherry Hill Cadet Sqdrn MI-GLR-MI-283 (inactive)

Private Investigator

Lots of good info the only I could add is when I went from Squadron DP to Group DP I never had to do an application for a new member. So a few years down the line you lose track on how to do that and a few other things. The big thing is you are on the Group Awards Commitee so you have to be impartial to all nominees.

In the long run it was a good assignment.