Main Menu

GLR SLS

Started by Walkman, May 23, 2011, 12:11:59 AM

Walkman

My TIG for promotion to Captain will be fulfilled in August. I wasn't able to attend the SLS in MIWG earlier this year. Anyone in GLR know of another SLS course this summer? I couldn't find anything on the GLR website.

Thanks.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Walkman on May 23, 2011, 12:11:59 AM
My TIG for promotion to Captain will be fulfilled in August. I wasn't able to attend the SLS in MIWG earlier this year. Anyone in GLR know of another SLS course this summer? I couldn't find anything on the GLR website.

Thanks.

There should be one at Great Lakes NTC in the next couple months, or at least that's what I heard couple months ago.

Eclipse

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on May 23, 2011, 12:15:02 AM

Thanks.

There should be one at Great Lakes NTC in the next couple months, or at least that's what I heard couple months ago.

Negative, we ran ours earlier in the year (weren't you there?)

There will be one at Scott in November.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Eclipse on May 23, 2011, 12:27:00 AM

Thanks.

I was there last June. Didn't know you guys had one earlier this year... Did it go out on the all list? I have several that need it here.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Eclipse on May 23, 2011, 12:27:00 AM

Thanks.

Oh wait I do remeber seeing something about that on the calendar... I think I had something else going on that weekend - was it in March?

Eclipse

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on May 23, 2011, 12:34:48 AM
I was there last June. Didn't know you guys had one earlier this year... Did it go out on the all list? I have several that need it here.

They all blend together at some point, but the one you were at last July was the last one we did.    Nothing this year,
we had our hands full with the encampment.  I think the next one will be the one at Scott.

"That Others May Zoom"

Paul Creed III

The next GLR-wide SLS is scheduled for 15-16 October at the Ohio Wing HQ in Columbus. Of course, there may be SLS courses held at local installations but the October weekend is the next Region-wide event.
Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager

disamuel

If you can't get to an SLS course and you are in a hurry, you can take the class on-line. Here is the link from the National website:

http://www.capmembers.com/cap_university/online_courses__exams.cfm

I took the CLC on-line and I enjoyed it, although some members prefer the interaction of a live classroom.

EMT-83

Last I knew, the wait for on-line SLS was over a year. Has that changed?

Spaceman3750

Quote from: disamuel on May 23, 2011, 04:34:00 PM
If you can't get to an SLS course and you are in a hurry, you can take the class on-line. Here is the link from the National website:

I took the CLC on-line and I enjoyed it, although some members prefer the interaction of a live classroom.

"In a hurry" aren't the words I would use. My squadron has 2 seniors on the waitlist - the waitlist is about 1.5 years long at last count.

Eclipse

Quote from: disamuel on May 23, 2011, 04:34:00 PM

Those online classes are only open to a small group of members who exhibit a real need to take in online versus the way it should be taken, in a classroom setting.

"That Others May Zoom"

billford1

Walkman Are you up for a little travel?  In June there are SLS in Asheville, NC and in Fla.

Asheville, NC would be my choice. If you stay in Mars Hill nearby that place is beautiful in the summer. GO FOR IT Man.  Seriously I would.

http://www.capmembers.com/cap_university/course_schedules/squadron_leadership_schools_sls.cfm

Walkman

Quote from: billford1 on May 24, 2011, 12:33:10 AM
Walkman Are you up for a little travel?  In June there are SLS in Asheville, NC and in Fla.

Asheville, NC would be my choice. If you stay in Mars Hill nearby that place is beautiful in the summer. GO FOR IT Man.  Seriously I would.

http://www.capmembers.com/cap_university/course_schedules/squadron_leadership_schools_sls.cfm

That would be great, but I'm afraid that won't work for me. Thanks for the tip, tho'!

I was excited about the online course as well, until I saw the disclaimer about the waiting list. There is supposed to be another one in the WIng later this fall, I was just impatient to pin on the railroad tracks.  :)

Dracosbane

I'm working on getting an SLS hosted by my Squadron in IN in the next few months.  (My proposal sent up the chain was for later this month, don't think that's going to happen)  I need it before July.  Looks like I'm going to be in a holding pattern until one is scheduled.  I'll let you know if I hear more.

Walkman

Quote from: Dracosbane on June 06, 2011, 03:12:26 AM
I'm working on getting an SLS hosted by my Squadron in IN in the next few months.  (My proposal sent up the chain was for later this month, don't think that's going to happen)  I need it before July.  Looks like I'm going to be in a holding pattern until one is scheduled.  I'll let you know if I hear more.

Yes, please keep me posted, thanks!

Dracosbane

INWG is hosting a SLS in Richmond, IN 19-20 AUG.  PM me for more info.  I do not have the location or lodging arrangements information yet, but I can put you in contact with the host.

I was hoping for the one to get approved at my squadron because A) I wanted to go sleep in my own bed and 2) we meet at a perfect facility to host.  Hopefully the bug I put in my group CCs ear will remind him that we can use it in the future.