Main Menu

SOS testing

Started by Wild Weasel, January 28, 2011, 04:49:32 PM

Wild Weasel

I am currently studying for the non-residence SOS and almost ready to test.  Does anyone have experience in ordering & taking SOS tests?  I believe there may be three separate tests for each unit of of the course.  Can I order & take all 3 exams at once, or does each test need to be ordered and taken consecutively?  Do I have the tests forwarded to my wing TCO shred code & then coordinate sitting for the tests with my squadron TCO? Or does testing require involving my wing CAP/USAF coordinator?

Any input from SOS-alumni would be appreciated.  Thank you, sirs and madams.
"If we maintain our faith in God, love of freedom, and superior global air power, the future looks good." — General Curtis Lemay

a2capt

The ones that are multiple tests are in succession.  You can't ask for all at once, as you are not entitled to take the next until you pass the prior.

I can't recall if SOS is one that now requires a military testing center or is still forwarded to the Wing TCO channel to you. The shred code you put on the application is a good start, though. If they accepted it, thats probably how it's going to work.

Phil Hirons, Jr.

AF Professional Military Education (PME) courses can only be done on paper at a Wing TCF as a last resort.  The SOS exams are primarily computer based and are taken at a TCF with the proper equipment.

From CAPR 54-10
5-8. AU A4/6 Supplied Non-CAP Tests Administration. CAP members enrolled in Air Force CDC or PME courses (i.e. Air Force career courses, Air War College, Air Command and Staff College, Squadron Officer School, Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy, and Noncommissioned Officer Academy) must be administered exams by one of the following (in order of priority):
a. Military base testing center. Plan to test at a military base. Contact that base testing office to ensure an e-exam is available before scheduling the exam. If the base testing center is unable to service the exam, obtain written documentation stating such from a test facility representative or a base services squadron representative; provide this "base unable to service exam documentation" to your wing's TCO prior to scheduling an exam with that CAP TCO, then you may test in accordance with paragraph 5-8b, below.
b. Under the supervision of a CAP-USAF state director or a CAP-USAF reservist who is identified by the wing as a test administrator.
NOTE: CAP Wing Test Control Officers must coordinate all Air Force PME examination actions with their CAP-USAF state director to ensure compliance with the above procedures. State directors must be on file with AU/CFRR as Test Administrators. The TCO will attach the "base unable to service exam documentation" to the test inventory log prior to administering the exam.

I would suggest you work with your PD Officer to locate a TCF with the proper equipment. Then change your shred code to that facility and take the test electronically. The bonus is that you will get pass / fail info right there

Lord of the North

CAPR 54-10 does not exist.  The correct regulation is CAPR 50-4.

Wild Weasel

I will contact the Testing Center at Seymour Johnson AFB and find out if they can deliver the SOS electronic exams to a CAP member.  If not, I'll obtain a denial of request in writing from SJAFB & coordinate written exams with my wing TCO.  The citation of 50-4 was very helpful.  Thanks all for the assist.
"If we maintain our faith in God, love of freedom, and superior global air power, the future looks good." — General Curtis Lemay

a2capt

We've been able to do the tests at Camp Pendleton. (USMC) The staff there at first was not sure, but their shred code was listed, they said they'd be open to seeing what happens.  They learned something too. How to bring up tests for other branches.

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Quote from: Lord of the North on January 28, 2011, 05:31:14 PM
CAPR 54-10 does not exist.  The correct regulation is CAPR 50-4.

Oooops.

coudano

It will be three trips to base,
One for each unit,
A few days minimum between passing and auth to schedule the next one.

Dont forget to coord with visitor center, unless you have some other way to access base

AdAstra

Wild Weasel,

There shouldn't be any "denial of request" from the SJAFB Test Control Facility. As far as HQ AU A4/6 is concerned, you have exactly the same status as the Air Force captain taking the test at the next workstation.

Be sure to call ahead and make an appointment. Most of the local TCFs that I've talked to only administer exams during set hours, perhaps a couple of days each week.
Charles Wiest

AirDX

Just got back to the office after knocking out the SOS Unit 1 test.

1.  No problems scheduling the test - got in touch with the Force Development Flight on Hickam, and a very nice Education Technician set it up for me.

2.  The test itself was not difficult.  50 multiple guess questions.  The questions were not in random order, but moved from one part of the course to the next.  A couple also had that failing of many multiple guess tests: a succeeding question gave the answer to an earlier one.

3.  You get the results as soon as you finish the test.  No waiting and wondering!

3.  The material in the unit itself was a little onerous.  Some fairly dull reading, and somewhat repetitive.  There were a couple of articles that I really enjoyed, and a few more that were tough but good material. 

On to Unit 2 - hopefull I can knock that out next month.   
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

Wild Weasel

Sir,
Thank you for the feedback & congratulations on completing the first test.  I'm not ready yet....I've written flash cards & flip them every chance I get.  It's a great opportunity to take this exam as a civilian, so I want to do my best & represent CAP well.  I try to create acronyms to help me remember key points:

What are 5 moral traits? (remember: CRASH...ie, if I don't utilize these traits in my career, I may crash & burn as a leader)
Courage
Responsibility
Accountability
Self-respect
Humility

Any study tips would be appreciated.  Best of luck on the second section.

AirDX

For unit 1, if it's by or about Gen. Foglesong, read it carefully.

Ditto Curtis LeMay.

Know the five or six models of leadership in the one textbook - the highlights of them at least.

Look at the example test on the SOS site.  Some of those questions may look familiar.

Read the CZAR 52 article carefully.  It's good reading anyway.

Give it your best effort, but relax.  If you pass with a 65 or pass with a 100... you still pass.

coudano

Getting awfully close to violating the nondisclosure agreement, discussing details of the test here...

AirDX

Quote from: coudano on March 31, 2011, 08:48:59 PM
Getting awfully close to violating the nondisclosure agreement, discussing details of the test here...

Oh, get over it.  If I gave exact answers and typed out the questions, that'd be a problem.  A hint or two on what to focus on... and telling someone to look at the practice test that AU puts on the website?  Give me a break.   

coudano

yes, you're right...  impropriety regarding aetc tests by cap members is no big deal
not at all

lol

AirDX

Your opinion is duly noted.

If you've ever been an instructor or written test material, or even taken a few tests in you time, it's not difficult to look at a body of material and pull out what you think might appear on a test.  That's pretty much what I did to prepare for the test.  Consider: there are roughly 30 articles and chapters to read for the unit 1 test.  3 I can think of right off the bat were by or about Gen. Foglesong.  Do ya think that there might be test questions about him or his thoughts when 10% of the reading material concerns him alone?  Doh!

Similarly, in the somewhat repetitive material, there are many references to the CZAR 52 debacle.  And one rather lengthy (but very good) article.  Do you think there might be a thread there that you'd want to follow? 

Other threads run through the material.  Anyone interested, take a legal pad and jot down names as you run across them and just make tick marks next to them every time they are quoted.  When the pattern appears, you'll have a good idea what to study.

If you consider telling folks to read the material to be compromising... ok then.  And lol to you.

jks19714

Quote from: coudano on March 31, 2011, 08:48:59 PM

Kind of like the instructor stomping his foot three times?  Or "you'll see this again..."?   ;)
Diamond Flight 88
W3JKS/AAT3BF/AAM3EDE/AAA9SL
Assistant Wing Communications Engineer

HGjunkie

••• retired
2d Lt USAF

AirDX

AirDX

Just knocked out the SOS Unit 2 test.  Or maybe it knocked me out.  I passed with comfortable margin, but I had heard this was the most difficult of the 3 units, and it was certainly more difficult than Unit 1.  Both the reading material and the test were challenging.  On to unit 3.

Only gouge I can pass on regarding Unit 2 is read and understand the material.  I went to the extent of writing outlines of a couple of the papers.  You will definately need to assimilate the material - with a few exceptions the questions are not drawn from little factoids, they are fairly meaty.

Good test taking strategies for a multiple guess test will help.  There are 4 answers to each question, you can discard 2 of them right away as obviously wrong, so even if you are guessing on the last two you have a 50/50 chance.

If anyone else is doing SOS, study hard and good luck!

AirDX

OK, just finished the third test, and with it, SOS.  I thought the third test was the easiest of the three, but that may just be due to my age and experiences.  Team building, multiculturalism, joint doctrine are all things I am pretty familiar with.  Got the best score and in the least time of the three tests.

Study the material, there are no surprises, reread the bullets and your highlights again in the day leading up to the  test and you'll knock it out with no problems.