How to enroll in Squadron Officer School (SOS)

Started by Wildblueflyer, May 22, 2010, 05:36:27 PM

Wildblueflyer

I've completed the Officer Basic Course.  Now, how and where do I enroll in Squadron Officer School (SOS)? 

Thanks!

DBlair

DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

Wildblueflyer

No, but my Level II completion has posted on the NHQ website.

DBlair

Unfortunately, you need to have been fully promoted to Captain before enrolling in SOS.

This is the exact situation I ran into without any way around the Captain requirement.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

70ChallengerAtlanta

As a graduate of the USAF Squadron Officer School (nonresident) course via CAP, it gave me a great sense of accomplishment to complete this course. 

SOS is an alternative to Regional Staff College as part of CAP Senior Member Professional Development Level IV (Major to Lt Col).  Personally, I thought it was a better alternative than 1 week at Regional Staff College.  Looking back, this was a mistake but I did not drop out.

This is not at all a simple nor easy course to complete on line. It took me 13 months to complete this course, working hard.

You will be required to take the tests working with your Wing CAP/USAF director (or make other special arrangements).

The information was terrific but some sections (some with over 18 chapters in each section with 20-60 pages of content per Chapter) were on subjects of limited practical value practical to CAP members including NATO's operating structures (it seemed like a hybrid of the ICS command structure and CAP's ES command structure).

I'd encourage any member considering this course to think carefully about enrolling in SOS. 

Again, great course.  If you have the time do it.