Useful civilian/military hybrid gear

Started by Polecat, May 23, 2009, 02:44:36 AM

Polecat

I was searching for some new SAR gear and found that places that cater to wildland firefighters seem to have some gear that would be useful to us.

MOLLE flagging tape pouch.

Reflective ALICE gear, some that comes in red.

Reflective ALICE Nalgene bottle pouch not found on TNG

Lots more useful stuff

Thought this would help, I am going to get that flagging tape pouch.

Tubacap

William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

es_g0d

Good luck and good hunting,
-Scott
www.CAP-ES.net

Gunner C

coolkites

Capt M. Sherrod

I purchased two of these to go on a pistol belt...

http://www.gear911.com/product.php?productid=16146&cat=253&page=1

They have the same basic dimensions as a standard butt pack and fit all of the gear above the UDF requirements quite nicely...

All of my UDF gear fits nicely in this (in red)...

http://www.ferno.com/product_detail.aspx?prodID=55F38069-6607-45AF-93E7-7F972E47C05E

I wear a camelback under the vest for my water needs.
Michael Sherrod, Capt, CAP
Professional Development Officer
Hanscom Composite Squadron, NER-MA-043

isuhawkeye

ah the classic ferno first responder vest.  there have been many threads on this forum referencing that specific piece of kit

Capt M. Sherrod

Quote from: isuhawkeye on August 21, 2009, 01:25:51 PM
ah the classic ferno first responder vest.  there have been many threads on this forum referencing that specific piece of kit

I believe it was on your recommendation that I decided to get it, and it has been a great investment...so, thank you.

Eclipse

Quote from: Capt M. Sherrod on August 21, 2009, 03:36:27 PM
Quote from: isuhawkeye on August 21, 2009, 01:25:51 PM

I believe it was on your recommendation that I decided to get it, and it has been a great investment...so, thank you.

I still say the SARMed-style vest (the Ferno falls into that category) are the most appropriate to our operations.  With planning you can fit the entirety of the 24 hour gear in it, they are (usually) already orange, and they are much less expensive than the tactical setups a lot of people wear.

The one thing they aren't is "hardkewl" military, which is either a plus or minus depending on your taste.

"That Others May Zoom"

majdomke

So, do we just wear our mandatory Orange Safety Vest over the Ferno? I have one of them too, thanks to another CAP member donating to me. I just feel uncomfortable not being within regs.

Eclipse

Quote from: Lt Domke on August 21, 2009, 04:53:51 PM
So, do we just wear our mandatory Orange Safety Vest over the Ferno? I have one of them too, thanks to another CAP member donating to me. I just feel uncomfortable not being within regs.

Assuming you have an orange Ferno - that's your vest.  Otherwise, you can wear the orange vest under the Ferno - which yes, defeats the purpose, but that's been an issue with the way the reg has been written for a long time.

Wearing anything over a vest or tac rig defeats the purpose of easy access.

"That Others May Zoom"

Capt M. Sherrod

I carry a spare orange vest in the Ferno, in the event someone else needs one.  I only wear the Ferno based on the guidance in the Reference text indicating if wearing the "Medvest" in lieu of webgear with an orange vest.

Eclipse

Quote from: Capt M. Sherrod on August 21, 2009, 05:03:43 PM
I carry a spare orange vest in the Ferno, in the event someone else needs one.  I only wear the Ferno based on the guidance in the Reference text indicating if wearing the "Medvest" in lieu of webgear with an orange vest.

In "lieu of"?  CAP makes no requirement or authoritative recommendation for field gear. Including the ability to stuff everything in your pockets if you can make it fit.

"That Others May Zoom"

majdomke

Quote from: Eclipse on August 21, 2009, 05:07:55 PM
In "lieu of"?  CAP makes no requirement or authoritative recommendation for field gear. Including the ability to stuff everything in your pockets if you can make it fit.
:D

Capt M. Sherrod

This is taken from page 11 of the Ground Team Reference Text...

QuoteOrange reflective vest: We are not doing a job where we need to be camouflaged or covert about
our tasks. Being visible helps team members see each other from greater distances, as well as
making sure that hunters do not shoot at you. Your vest can be substituted by a Bashaw or
equivalent rescue vest that is already blaze orange and reflective, but it may be a wise idea to bring
a separate small vest in case someone else does not have one, or to mark a hazard area at the
scene. By the way, regulations require the wear of orange vests when performing field operations in
BDUs.

Having said that, I will admit my error as my vest is Red with reflective rather than blaze orange.  The vest in the photo in the ref text is Yellow.

Polecat

Necro posting my own thread as I had forgotten about this one til getting link from another thread, and have found some more potentially useful stuff.

5.11 Responder series

New Blackhawk line of red MOLLE gear

Blackhawk red MOLLE compatible vest

Custom orange MOLLE vest

Maxpedition MOLLE compatible backpack in orange

I personally use the 5.11 PUSH+R as my medical bag, and so far have been very impressed. In addition to the Maxpedition Falcon-II, they make some of their "Versipacks" in orange, as well as a folding dump pouch.

Eclipse

It's about time these companies started making this stuff in orange!  Shows there must be a big market.

"That Others May Zoom"