CAP plane lands on highway

Started by RiverAux, March 11, 2008, 11:49:03 PM

Flying Pig

They should have put it on a flat bed then got out on the Interstate up to about 80 mph.  It would have just lifted off like a Harrier!  Oh, the possibilities are endless!

TankerT

Quote from: SJFedor on March 14, 2008, 05:57:46 AM
Quote from: wingnut on March 13, 2008, 11:08:50 AM
Why yes I am a Pilot and I believe you are referring to a situation "takes appropriate action for simulated emergencies

Simulated does not mean turning your engine off, 8 miles from an Airport, yes I am glad they are safe, but I have seen guys do much less in a CAP aircraft and get grounded for a year. It does not bode well in the Newspaper for PR to have a CAP aircraft landing on a Highway. We all learn from each others mistake, and this is or was a big one, and it will be regurgitated to us ad nauseum from national.

Who said they shut the engine off? From everything I've heard, the power was reduced to flight idle, and when they went to add power, the engine didn't throttle up.

That is what happened.  The engine was not shut off during flight.  It only refused to add power from idle.

/Insert Snappy Comment Here

ricecakecm

Quote from: SJFedor on March 12, 2008, 05:08:56 PM

I wonder how you log that landing....

I've had an off airport landing in my career due to the engine not coming back after practicing a power-off stall with a student about 5 years ago.  I just got out a sectional, figured out where I landed and noted the lat-long in my logbook.

SJFedor

Quote from: ricecakecm on March 14, 2008, 06:04:17 PM

I've had an off airport landing in my career due to the engine not coming back after practicing a power-off stall with a student about 5 years ago.  I just got out a sectional, figured out where I landed and noted the lat-long in my logbook.

I'd probably have to write it like "Departure Airport-address that the plane came to a stop in front of-arrival airport"  ;D ;D

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

mynetdude

Quote from: SJFedor on March 14, 2008, 06:08:48 PM

I'd probably have to write it like "Departure Airport-address that the plane came to a stop in front of-arrival airport"  ;D ;D

I'm not a pilot, a chair pilot maybe!!! And I do a lot of flight simming, I feel the same way landings are more involving... you've got to make sure you're going to make that runway have enough speed and enough flaps for the conditions and so forth... takeoff doesn't seem as involving you set flaps, you get to takeoff speed and rotate and off you go and follow ATC instructions.

Landing, you've got to make sure you're on the glideslope, you have enough speed, you've got enough flaps, compensating for crosswind (if any) and once you touch down you've got to deal with rollout and stopping/slowing down to a safe speed to exit the runway.

And TBH I'd love to take off on a highway if I can watch cars race past me! :D (safely of course!)

Flying Pig

Im not thinking a highway is much different than some of the small small mountain strips Ive been into!

CadetProgramGuy

Just imagine this....

You are doing your simulated Engine out for a check-ride.  Somthing you have done many times before.

You go to advance the throttle, and suddenly it becomes real.....

That is Pucker Factor....That is when the training needs to become automatic.

Can you run your checklists by memory, and by feel?  I have been flying for 12 years, and I still struggle at 2000 ft AGL. 

These guys did it at 500 AGL with about 30 seconds to go.  Bravo Zulu!!

CadetProgramGuy

Highway 5, milemarker 113.

mynetdude

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on March 16, 2008, 04:31:20 AM

Highway 5 as in I-5? Hope that happens at 2am, there are a lot of cars on I-5 in the middle of the day, the picture seemed to depict midday when the plane landed on highway C.  Either that or Christmas day, I've seen freeways literally empty for miles on Christmas day too... so a perfect day to do a highway landing :D.

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: mynetdude on March 16, 2008, 04:53:50 AM

Highway 5 as in I-5? Hope that happens at 2am, there are a lot of cars on I-5 in the middle of the day, the picture seemed to depict midday when the plane landed on highway C.  Either that or Christmas day, I've seen freeways literally empty for miles on Christmas day too... so a perfect day to do a highway landing :D.

I meant it for a log book entry, not for actual location.  Sorry for the foul up.

mynetdude

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on March 16, 2008, 07:48:59 AM
Quote from: mynetdude on March 16, 2008, 04:53:50 AM

I meant it for a log book entry, not for actual location.  Sorry for the foul up.

nah not really a foul up, a landing on highway 5 though would be cool/amazing (done safely of course!).

Does anybody recall 405 The Movie? http://www.405themovie.com/Home.asp WARNING: there is a small footage that uses inappropriate content, not suitable for all ages. (the old woman uses her middle finger at the driver of another vehicle in the movie).

I figured the ^ above is related to the topic, it isn't an "educational" movie as it was meant for humor.  So YMMV, so I am not sure how appropriate this is or not to this topic.

badger bob

Quote from: Hammerhead on March 12, 2008, 03:51:28 PM
So if they were able to start the plane right back up after the mechanic looked at it, what happenen then?  Why did the plane not respond to the throttle when they tried to recover after the emergency landing drill? 

Either way they will have some questions to answer to CAP and the FAA.  Was it a Form 5/F91?  Was the PIC with an instructor pilot? 

Looking at the picture of them on the road, it appears to be a 172S model, so carb icing is out, because the R and S models are fuel injected.

It was a form 5 and the PIC was a  instructor. Instructor did some instructing in the same plane for my daughters private pilot license as cadet, and I have done some mission flying with him. Well done Don.

The plane is a fuel-injected 172R.
Chris Klein
cklein<at>cap.gov
The Supply Guy
IC2
National Volunteer Logistics Officer- Retired
WI-IGA
Wilson Award# 3320

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: Flying Pig on March 14, 2008, 07:50:43 AM
They should have put it on a flat bed then got out on the Interstate up to about 80 mph.  It would have just lifted off like a Harrier!  Oh, the possibilities are endless!

As a cop, how many laws...off the top of your head, would that break? ... the fines would be how much? Jail time?  ::)
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

mynetdude

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on March 22, 2008, 04:40:21 AM

As a cop, how many laws...off the top of your head, would that break? ... the fines would be how much? Jail time?  ::)

Well not only that, now that I think about it... you'd need a flatbed platform high enough above the semi's cab so you don't chew through the cab with your man-eating propeller in front of you ;). And I wonder how much road you'd have before a semi reaches 80mph to give the aircraft a decent takeoff speed from the flatbed and assuming you were clear of any power lines at that point.

The 182 would do it faster and shorter distance than a semi to get up to 80mph.

Flying Pig

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on March 22, 2008, 04:40:21 AM

I dont know.....I may have to research that one ;D

badger bob

maybe able to get a dashcam video of from the squad car that was the chase car for the flyoff from the County Road
Chris Klein
cklein<at>cap.gov
The Supply Guy
IC2
National Volunteer Logistics Officer- Retired
WI-IGA
Wilson Award# 3320

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: badger bob on March 22, 2008, 04:17:45 PM
maybe able to get a dashcam video of from the squad car that was the chase car for the flyoff from the County Road

God bless the dash cam.  They make some of the best videos of Wisconsin aerial mishaps ever.
From EAA last year
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zHLcnXZNqc

a2capt

At least they had two lanes and asphalt.

This really made my day.

This was after the aircraft was repaired, $800 later- and on the departure, to go to a 'real' airport to get gas, the passenger and all the baggage.

a2capt

...this is the day before that image above. The afternoon when we had the engine out.

I remember that instructor well, in the Citabria. "Center of the runway! Thwap!" ..

She sat behind me, of course.

mynetdude

Quote from: a2capt on March 24, 2008, 03:28:14 AM
...this is the day before that image above. The afternoon when we had the engine out.

I remember that instructor well, in the Citabria. "Center of the runway! Thwap!" ..

She sat behind me, of course.

So... your instructor was in the back???? I'm not sure I like that idea, if something goes wrong and I am not sure and my instructor is in the back? forget it... I won't even fly unless my instructor is in the right seat (that is if I could even fly, I can't now heh... )

Although I can convince any pilot in my squadron when they have time to take me up and I pay the fuel and aircraft use to my wing no problem :).