Future CAP fleet

Started by Mustang, June 11, 2013, 01:29:25 AM

NIN

Looks like "normally aspirated" Skyhawks are going away in favor of the JT-A
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

PHall

Quote from: flyer333555 on June 11, 2013, 06:38:41 PM
...or ask senior members to lay off the pizzas, donuts, and cheese fries?

Flyer

Stereotype much?

Critical AOA

Quote from: PHall on June 12, 2013, 12:39:53 AM

Flyer

Stereotype much?

No doubt.  I hate donuts.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Critical AOA

Quote from: NIN on June 11, 2013, 10:50:28 PM
Looks like "normally aspirated" Skyhawks are going away in favor of the JT-A

I have not heard anything in regards to the Skyhawk going away.  Also, last year when the JT-A was first announced, I am certain that the articles said that only the T182 was being replaced.  That must have changed or I misread. 
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Luis R. Ramos

Oh yeah.

All cops receive free donuts from corner stores. And take free apples from those markets which have their fruits and vegetables open on display.

Library teachers are old ladies wearing their hair on buns and going "Shhhh!" all the time.

And PHall can never take jokes, the same jokes which others in this medium give out. In high school, PHall was the bully pickingon all others.

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Cliff_Chambliss

I feel there is still a lot of life left in the Cessna 100 series aircraft.  Before closing the Maxwell AFB Aero Club had a T-41A (Cessna 172G) that had more than 17,000 hours on the airframe and was still a very nice flying plane (in spite of having only 145hp).  After the club closed that airplane was sold at auction and the new owner "fixed" it.  Gone through from end to end and top to bottom, and then an STC for a 180hp engine, new interior, Aspen Panel, new paint, completely re-rigged, and today that plane looks and flies like a brand new machine and still for a fraction of what a new plane would cost. 

11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

bflynn

Flyer

Sure.  And that would leave...what, 30% of the current SM members left?  If you don't want us around, we definately have other things to do.

NIN

I remembered a discussion I had with an esteemed CAP friend of mine (who is a Wing Commander) on this very subject.

The bare Skylane numbers, as I recall, are for the most recent production C-182

Skylane - 937NM - 145 Kts - 4 seats - 1,142 lbs - $398K
Skylane JT-A - 1360NM - 4 seats - 1,018 lbs - $515K

1142 - 1018 = 124 lbs (1 small SM or one semi-large cadet)

The range difference is 423NM. That's about 3.5 hrs at a comfortable cruise (CAP very seldom has the need to use the 937NM range of the 182, let alone 1360, which, from the center of the country, allows a radius of action that encompasses both coasts!)

The JT-A burns 11gph at 90% power (mind you, I'm not a pilot, so I don't know if 90% power is cruise in the JT-A or not, but I'm betting it is, or its at least close).

By my "back of the envelope" calculations, thats 35-38 gal of Jet-A.  Jet-A is, what, 6.7 or 6.8 lbs / gal?  So 38 gal of Jet-A is 256lbs.  So you gain back the 124 lbs plus another 132 lbs.

So don't fly the thing with full tanks when the mission parameters dictate.

Tempest in a teapot.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

A.Member

Annual flight hours reportedly continue to decline across the organization.   So, the greater concern is addressing this problem and keeping the aircraft we have as opposed to figuring out what airframe might meet our need a few decades from now. 

FWIW, agree with the earlier comment on LSA's - they are pretty worthless to us, regardless of where you're located.  UAV's anyone? ;)
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

LGM30GMCC

Bah, forget the 206s, let's go on up to the 208s  >:D :clap: Plenty of useful load, can throw in plenty of sensor packages, and in a pinch could airlift small ground teams to remote stretches and leave 'em there.  :D

PHall

Quote from: LGM30GMCC on June 14, 2013, 05:50:32 AM
Bah, forget the 206s, let's go on up to the 208s  >:D :clap: Plenty of useful load, can throw in plenty of sensor packages, and in a pinch could airlift small ground teams to remote stretches and leave 'em there.  :D

They only cost about $2.1 million each! :o

Mustang

The C-208 (Caravan) isn't terribly practical for CAP costwise, but the Quest Kodiak might be! Is essentially a better-engineered Gippsland with a PT6 turboprop engine and dual G1000 setup. Very nice aircraft. 

But honestly, I'm happy settling for a turbo 206.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

Critical AOA

Quote from: Mustang on June 15, 2013, 07:24:15 PM
The C-208 (Caravan) isn't terribly practical for CAP costwise, but the Quest Kodiak might be! Is essentially a better-engineered Gippsland with a PT6 turboprop engine and dual G1000 setup. Very nice aircraft. 

But honestly, I'm happy settling for a turbo 206.

Thank you for your sacrifice.    8)

A.Member

Anything that gets away from the 172/182 negatively impacts our value proposition.  Who's going to maintain proficiency, especially at the higher rates?  Again, we're having trouble just putting hours on the most common airframe in GA.  We need to stay focused on core competencies.  And any oddball aircraft, such as the Gippsland (or Kodiak et al) is just....well, no!
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Brad

Granted I'm not as up to speed on the performance and maintainability of the 182 as I need to be, being "only" a Mission Observer, but I did find this:

http://www.flyingmag.com/aircraft/pistons/cessna-introduces-jet-skylane

Quote"Cessna's Turbo 182 NXT delivers a solution that the marketplace has been asking for," said Jeff Umscheid, Cessna 172, 182, 206 business leader. "The 230-horsepower jet-A engine offers customers increased range and greater payload capacity and does not sacrifice performance. This plane offers significantly lower direct operating costs due to the fact that jet-A fuel is typically more affordable and much more widely available."
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

Eclipse

I don't know about that "more available" comment, especially in smaller GA airports.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

FWIW, all three of our local GA airports have Jet-A. SEE, MYF, and SDM. Primary runways exceed 4500'.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

BillB

At all area airports I've seen, Jet-A is more expensive than 100-LL av gas.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Critical AOA

Quote from: BillB on June 16, 2013, 10:21:51 AM
At all area airports I've seen, Jet-A is more expensive than 100-LL av gas.

That is a rarity.  Where are you at?

JeffDG

Quote from: Eclipse on June 16, 2013, 04:14:44 AM
I don't know about that "more available" comment, especially in smaller GA airports.
Also consider that outside North America, 100LL is much more difficult to find.  Jet-A is everywhere worldwide.