What is your favorite fixed wing aircraft?

Started by manfredvonrichthofen, December 18, 2010, 03:18:14 AM

BlueLakes1

I'll go with the one I get to fly at work, the Pilatus PC-12. King Air 200 speeds and altitudes with more cabin space and on half the gas.
Col Matthew Creed, CAP
GLR/CC

davidsinn

Quote from: Redfire2 on December 18, 2010, 11:29:08 PM
I'll go with the one I get to fly at work, the Pilatus PC-12. King Air 200 speeds and altitudes with more cabin space and on half the gas.

Some guys have all the luck... ;D
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

SarDragon

Quote from: ol'fido on December 18, 2010, 04:05:50 PM
F-86 Sabrejet.  Last of the real dogfighters before all that missile business screwed it up.

The USN folks might beg to differ. There was "The Last Gunfighter" F-8 Crusader, which went out of service in 1976 as a fighter. It was the last American fighter with guns as the primary weapon, principally serving in the Vietnam War.

The F-86 was retired in the US in 1970.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

BlueLakes1

Quote from: davidsinn on December 18, 2010, 11:42:51 PM
Quote from: Redfire2 on December 18, 2010, 11:29:08 PM

Some guys have all the luck... ;D

I AM lucky... I won't deny that at all.  :)
Col Matthew Creed, CAP
GLR/CC

AngelWings

F-22 RAPTOR ALL THE WAY! HOOAH! It is sexy, very fast, stealth, and it is most importantly versatile. The F-15 is my second choice, and my third choice would be the C-17 Globemaster III. F-15 used to be what the F-22 is today, and the C-17 is the most agile cargo plane today. Saw them all at airshows, and was blown away by them each time.
My favorite civilian fixed wing aircraft would be the Staudacher S-300D, the same has airshow pilot John Klatt. That baby can survive -/+ 20 G's!

Al Sayre

Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

davidsinn

Quote from: Al Sayre on December 19, 2010, 04:33:03 AM
XB-70 Mach3+ Bomber
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vPvr29wJ80

I have had the pleasure of getting real close to that bad-boy, it was very awe inspiring. It's amazing the crap we did in the 50s and 60s that we can't replicate today.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Al Sayre

NASA was flying one for a little while in the late 60's, I got to see it airborne once when I was about 7 or 8.  Awesome is the only way to describe it.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

davidsinn

Quote from: Al Sayre on December 19, 2010, 04:51:04 AM
NASA was flying one for a little while in the late 60's, I got to see it airborne once when I was about 7 or 8.  Awesome is the only way to describe it.

You suck major ;) The last one is in the museum annex at the USAF museum and that's where I saw it.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

SarDragon

Oh, yeah, gotta add the OV-10 Bronco. Kool as hell, and a hoot to fly.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ol'fido

I would also like to add the Me108 to my list. Wish someone would start building them again or put it into a homebuilt kit.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

RiverAux

The last one that safely returned me to the ground (it changes a lot).

PHall

Quote from: ol'fido on December 19, 2010, 04:07:03 PM
I would also like to add the Me108 to my list. Wish someone would start building them again or put it into a homebuilt kit.

IIRC, the Me108 was fabric over a metal tube framework. If you can get a complete set of plans and know a good welder you're half-way there.

ol'fido

Quote from: PHall on December 19, 2010, 11:43:33 PM
Quote from: ol'fido on December 19, 2010, 04:07:03 PM

IIRC, the Me108 was fabric over a metal tube framework. If you can get a complete set of plans and know a good welder you're half-way there.
Re: Me108B..."The fuselage is of all-metal, monocoque, stressed skin construction." "Me109", Martin Caidin, Ballantine Books, pp.17.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

twofivexray

Roger W. Bass, 1st Lt, CAP
Easton Composite Squadron, MD-079
Civil Air Patrol, U.S. Air Force Auxiliary

bosshawk

Just to keep this thread from changing over to uniforms:    the airplane that I have owned and flown for over 19 yrs, the BE-33 Debonair and the one that took me lots of places in the Army, the OV-1 Mohawk.  Neither is the fastest, sleekest or sexiest, but both are fun to fly and both get me home when it is time to do that.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

scooter

For me, B737-100/200. It didn't have much thrust, no magic magenta line, made plenty of noise though. You had to fly it all the time, even on autopilot. Great satisfaction hand flying a Cat II single engine ILS low approach and return for full stop(on a PC). Never got bored, even at cruise.

GroundHawg

Quote from: SarDragon on December 19, 2010, 06:43:31 AM
Oh, yeah, gotta add the OV-10 Bronco. Kool as hell, and a hoot to fly.
The Bronco is my Fav plane ever. Ive always wanted to do a jump out of one. Im so jealous youve flown in one much less flown it.

blackrain

Quote from: PA Guy on December 18, 2010, 04:09:06 AM
For a slightly nostalgic twist:

A-1 Skyraider.  That huge R3350 radial could shake the world.

A-6 Intruder

My favorites too. Especially the Skyraider. It was there to help the guys down in the mud. No higher calling.
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly" PVT Murphy

jmoring87

My favorite is the A-10.

But I'm currently stationed with a EA-6B squadron. Didn't see anyone mention that.