Main Menu

Monthly safety briefings

Started by BreakSilence, February 07, 2010, 08:56:18 AM

BreakSilence

Hello everyone,

I have a question and need your help to answer it.  Here's my situation.  We all need to have that monthly 15 minute safety briefing as required per CAPR 62-1.  However, my squadron's Safety Officer, bless his heart, is very boring when it comes to making presentations.  His idea of a presentation is to take that 15 minutes to read, word for word, the CAP Sentinel.  Obviously, the cadets' attention isn't exactly at its peak during this time.  It's hard to tell my Safety Officer to change up his routine a bit since he is sort of aged, and monotone is his default tone.

So I was wondering... Is there anywhere that says you can't have a cadet do the safety briefings?  My Safety Officer loves me and wouldn't mind at all if I volunteered to give the monthly safety spiel.

I just skimmed the entire CAPR 62-1 (which was kind of depressing but that's another story).  The only part where it says anything about who is required to give the briefings is this short one-liner introduction for section 6: "Delegation of authority is essential in any well-managed organization, but the command responsibility for a safety program cannot be delegated."  I assume this means that, yes, a cadet can do the safety briefings.

If you know of any other regulation that has anything to say about WHO is required, please let me know.

Thanks!

davidsinn

We rotate who gives the briefing amongst our cadets. We have a SO on the roster and she inputs it into WMU but only does half or less of the briefings.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Spike

Go for it Cadet!  Nothing wrong with giving the presentation and having the SO sign off on it.

heliodoc

By all means have the cadets do it....part of their public speaking portion of leadership that I am sure exists..I have been working as SO in my Sqdn and have been working w/ the Deputy for cadets o get this ball rolling..

Highlight the Sentinel..just briefly and pick the high points.  SUGGEST this to him....I know my CFI class encourages brevity and I ASK for feedback after a presentation...make it fun for the guy to do it next time if he's willing to accept "constructive criticism."

CADETS?  By ALLLLLL means go ahead and do it!!

Eclipse

15 minutes is one option.  3 total hours per year is the requirement.

"That Others May Zoom"

davidsinn

Quote from: Eclipse on February 07, 2010, 04:23:56 PM

We get our unit suspended if we don't have a meeting in WMU every month. Then we have numerous useless down days every year that requires more wasted time...
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

ßτε

This in not consistent with CAPR 62-1 Paragraph 3d.

BreakSilence

According to the CAPR 62-1, you need to have a monthly safety brief of about 15 minutes AND one meeting regarding safety.

I was also thinking about talking with my SO to do the email thing where we email the safety stuff out.  Anyway, thanks for the input, everyone!