Retirement or Patron Mbrship

Started by West MI-CAP-Ret, January 06, 2018, 02:41:18 AM

West MI-CAP-Ret

I'm leaving CAP this April.  I'd like some feedback of anyone's opinions about retirement or patron membership (yes, I've read the regs). What do you think is better and why?

Call me silly but I've spent decades to obtain the grade of Major so I'd like to wear it, even if it's just on a blazer. 

I promised my wife that I'd leave active CAP service once I was promoted.  Patron status doesn't really have more benefits and at least in retirement status you can wear your blue blazer with name and grade. As a patron mbr you continue to financially support CAP but you can only wear civilian clothes.

Am I missing something?  As a retired mbr I plan on continuing to contribute annually to CAP and attend some conferences (sure I can get old friends to get wing commanders to offer me an invitation).

Just weighing the pros and cons.
MAJ DAVID J. D'ARCY, CAP (Ret) 8 Apr 2018 (1974-1982, 1988-2018)
A former member of:
West Michigan Group MI-703,
Hudsonville Cadet Sqdron MI-135 (name changed to Park Township, Al Johnson Cadet Sqdrn)
Lakeshore Cadet Sqdrn MI-119
Van Dyke Cadet Sqdrn, MI-117
Phoenix Cadet Sqdrn MI-GLR-MI-065 (inactive)
Novi Sixgate Cadet Sqdrn (inactive), MI-068
Inkster Cherry Hill Cadet Sqdrn MI-GLR-MI-283 (inactive)

etodd

Quote from: DemonOps on January 06, 2018, 02:41:18 AM

... at least in retirement status you can wear your blue blazer with name and grade.

Sounds like thats important to you, so why second guess it? :)

Me? Oh one day when I'm not able to contribute much anymore, I'll simply say goodbye at the end of a Squadron meeting and walk away. A closed chapter.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

FW

If you want to contribute, keep your current status, and accept a position which is not demanding to you or your unit.  I am still considered an active member, however I spend more time reading CAPTalk posts than doing CAP stuff..  I'm going to keep paying dues for another 10 years then enjoy my "50 Year" status....  ;D

Ed DeSocio

Do you expect to ever return to active service?  As a Patron, you keep your grade but are prohibited from wearing any CAP uniform.  Patrons can easily return to active service.  Retirement is, for all practical purposes, permanent.

Ed DeSocio
Spaatz #594

PHall

Quote from: Ed DeSocio on January 08, 2018, 07:53:51 PM
Do you expect to ever return to active service?  As a Patron, you keep your grade but are prohibited from wearing any CAP uniform.  Patrons can easily return to active service.  Retirement is, for all practical purposes, permanent.

Not really. You can "unretire". Just requires paperwork, money and fingerprints. Nin did it a couple of years ago.

dwb

This isn't the first time you've asked this question, and you seem really torn about it.

Do you want to provide financial support via a low-cost annual membership? Then become a patron.

Don't want to? Then retire.

Really, no one is kicking you out the door (as far as I know), but if you can't make up your mind just renew and stay in active member status with no duty assignments.

I feel like you're making this harder than it has to be.  :-\

Ed DeSocio

Quote from: PHall on January 08, 2018, 08:09:18 PM

Not really. You can "unretire". Just requires paperwork, money and fingerprints. Nin did it a couple of years ago.

"Retired members may reapply for active membership with the approval of the National Commander."  Like I said, for all practical purposes....

Ed DeSocio
Spaatz #594

kwe1009

Quote from: Ed DeSocio on January 08, 2018, 09:01:48 PM

"Retired members may reapply for active membership with the approval of the National Commander."  Like I said, for all practical purposes....

Unretiring is actually quite an easy process.  It just takes a little time and Wing Commander involvement.

NIN

Phil speaks the truth: I am the poster-child for "unretirement" :)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

sarmed1

I choose retirement due to my USAF position, with the intention that once that is no longer a factor, if so inclined I can apply to return without loss of time and achievements.  Patron status would have been my choice, but was not an option. 
Patron status allows you to keep that should you someday feel the need to or if someone else needs you to return, with less hassle than the "un-retire" option.  Especially if you still want to remain connected to the organization.  Though depending on what the local "attitude" is, Fred's option of a low participation position is still a good option too.

MK
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

West MI-CAP-Ret

I don't expect to return to active service.  I'm afflicted with Multiple Sclerosis and I'm really not contributing.  Oh, like an 'arm-chair' quarterback, I see huge mistakes easily fixable, but then I see great things.  My main reason is that being involved with CAP is what made being part of the organization fun.  Now, to do anything, my wife has to drive me (she's a speech-language pathologist that works 45-50 hrs a week).  Doesn't seem fair to her.  So, living on borrowed time I told her that once I was promoted to Major, I would retire. 

It's been awhile since I asked the question, and I've come to the conclusion that I will retire.  After 28 years, a retirement and promotion ceremony would be nice, so I'll be having this ceremony during the MI Wg's 2018 Conference.  I realized last year that because I wasn't attached to a squadron, just group, I really didn't have a network.  It's not anyone's fault, it's just time to go.
MAJ DAVID J. D'ARCY, CAP (Ret) 8 Apr 2018 (1974-1982, 1988-2018)
A former member of:
West Michigan Group MI-703,
Hudsonville Cadet Sqdron MI-135 (name changed to Park Township, Al Johnson Cadet Sqdrn)
Lakeshore Cadet Sqdrn MI-119
Van Dyke Cadet Sqdrn, MI-117
Phoenix Cadet Sqdrn MI-GLR-MI-065 (inactive)
Novi Sixgate Cadet Sqdrn (inactive), MI-068
Inkster Cherry Hill Cadet Sqdrn MI-GLR-MI-283 (inactive)