If you could make one change to 39-1...

Started by NM SAR, May 02, 2013, 04:47:14 PM

Cliff_Chambliss

All kidding aside there have been a few good comments posted here.  I think the one thing we can all agree on is the need for clear and consise guidance.  We can not be all things for all people, so quit speinning wheels trying to accomplish the impossible.  Develop a uniform poliocy, publish the policy, and hold apeoples feet to the fire to enforce said policy.

Over the years CAP has had some interesting uniform combinations, and regretably they have never been cheap.  As a cadet I remember the confusion between the 505 and 1505 kahiki uniforms, then I remember cutting lawns and saving money to buy the "bush" jacket only to have it done away with within a year.  From the old "coke bottle" cloth CAP Patch to the blue metal pin on CAP plate to the grey plate.  The only thing consistant with the CAP uniform policy is the inconsistancy.  Is it any wonder that it is the butt of so many jokes and worse violations?

Then the good old days of the early 1990's.  Showing up at a CAP Squadron meeting and the uniforms looked like a military heraldry display.  Had I even bothered with a uniform at that time there would have been so much Army and CAP bling I would have looked like the Grand Admiral of the Bolivian Navy.  Even today there is one senior member I know who wears USAF Pilot Wings and CAP Pilot Wings one above the other.  Point being the Uniform policy needs to be a policy and right now it is not.
11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

Cliff_Chambliss

If I could make one change to 39-1...
would start with a clean sheet of paper and write a "one size fits all" policy for all members and all uniforms.  No wing/region/shoool supplements, no exceptions, no variations. 
The USAF Style uniform will conform to this (publish it) standard.
The Corporate Grey Uniform will conform to this (publish it) standard PLEASE STATE A SPECIFIC SHADE OF GREY.
The BDU, BBDU same.
Flight Suit:  Publish the standard, and restrict the wear to the flight line.  (Sore point here).  The flight suit SHOULD NOT be a go to meeting uniform.  Even on a SAR/SAREX mission the flight suit should be worn by flight crew members only.  If a mission base member is not part of a flight crew they should not be wearing the flight suit.
3d Infantry Division

wuzafuzz

I would like a BBDU variant with a tuck-in shirt.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

Blues Brother

I like the idea of sabers, sashes, and plumes. that is pure style.  I say we add those wide ronald mcdonald style pants too, like the oompa loompas wore.  only in digital blue camo, with the knee high leather boots.  and maybe a spike top helmet like a prussian field marshall,  kinda like the one milburn driesdale wore on the beverly hillbillys when jethro bought the sherman tank.

Cliff_Chambliss

General Patton once designed a uniform for tank crews that we could adopt.  A green leather jump suit with red trim and topped with a 1930's style football helmet. 
3d Infantry Division

Nuke52

Quote from: Cliff_Chambliss on May 04, 2013, 11:11:56 AM
Even today there is one senior member I know who wears USAF Pilot Wings and CAP Pilot Wings one above the other.

Okay, sorry, I admit it's been a while since I last read the 39-1, but what's wrong with that?  Last time I checked, that was permissible in the reg...  Is it any worse than wearing CAP wings with a parachutist badge or air assault wings or...?
Lt Col
Wilson Awd

Eclipse

Quote from: Nuke52 on May 04, 2013, 10:05:01 PM
Quote from: Cliff_Chambliss on May 04, 2013, 11:11:56 AM
Even today there is one senior member I know who wears USAF Pilot Wings and CAP Pilot Wings one above the other.

Okay, sorry, I admit it's been a while since I last read the 39-1, but what's wrong with that?  Last time I checked, that was permissible in the reg...  Is it any worse than wearing CAP wings with a parachutist badge or air assault wings or...?

Two pairs of wings are authorized as long as one are military, CAP aviation badge goes above the military badge. 

I'm not a fan, but it's allowed.

"That Others May Zoom"

J2H

Why would CAP supercede an Air Force issued set of wings though?  Doesn't make sense
SSgt Jeffrey Hughes, Squadron NCO
Glenn L. Martin Composite Squadron MD-031

lordmonar

Quote from: J2H on May 04, 2013, 11:02:20 PM
Why would CAP supercede an Air Force issued set of wings though?  Doesn't make sense
Because this is CAP not the USAF.

BITD you wore USAF wings on the right side over the name plate.....but let's not go there.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

J2H

just curious. I  wear my sf  function badge
SSgt Jeffrey Hughes, Squadron NCO
Glenn L. Martin Composite Squadron MD-031

abdsp51

Quote from: J2H on May 04, 2013, 11:50:25 PM
just curious. I  wear my sf  function badge

You can wear your function badge, just not the shield itself, you can also wear your AF decorations as well. 

bflynn

These's a number of real changes I'd make...clarifying the CAP identity, recognition for significant achievments outside of CAP that should be notable inside CAP...but following my own advice, I don't think this is a forum to address them.

If you want to gain my attention and support on a uniform change (whatever it's worth), express your reasons for the change and make the reason about what is good for CAP.

Claify CAP identiy with distinctive uniforms - better for CAP because we don't get confused with military.
Significant achievement - helps motivate members.  What's important to them should be important to CAP.

Private Investigator

#1 would be boonie hat with BDUs. You are allowed to wear a dark blue boonie hat with BBDU why not BDUs   :)

arajca

Quote from: Private Investigator on May 05, 2013, 04:33:05 PM
#1 would be boonie hat with BDUs. You are allowed to wear a dark blue boonie hat with BBDU why not BDUs   :)
Because the Air Force said no.

Devil Doc

And who is this Air Force we speak of? Only time they claim us is when they need a mission. So, id say if were on a Air Force Mission we wear what they say, when we are not, we wear what we want to. Seems fair to me Aux On/Aux Off. lol
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

Private Investigator

Quote from: Devil Doc on May 05, 2013, 05:17:09 PM
And who is this Air Force we speak of? Only time they claim us is when they need a mission. So, id say if were on a Air Force Mission we wear what they say, when we are not, we wear what we want to. Seems fair to me Aux On/Aux Off. lol

Roger that Doc! Aux off ROFL   :clap:

lordmonar

Quote from: Devil Doc on May 05, 2013, 05:17:09 PM
Eh....no.....read that again.
We are ALWAYS the auxiliary of the USAF.......we are only INSTRUMENTS OF THE GOVERNMENT when on AFAMs.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Devil Doc

So Instruments of the Government/Aux On same thing :)
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

vento

Quote from: Devil Doc on May 06, 2013, 10:13:55 PM
So Instruments of the Government/Aux On same thing :)

Even when not under AFAM, we are still the USAF Aux, CAP corporation. According to the charter by congress with very little room for interpretation otherwise. Different customer (mission), different insurance, same entity.