Main Menu

Wearing the ABU's

Started by flyguy06, December 25, 2007, 05:52:59 PM

Hawk200

Quote from: mikeylikey on December 28, 2007, 03:30:47 AMSpeaking with many AF folks who wore ACU's and now wear ABU's, many would prefer to continue wearing the ACU's.  The ACU was designed for the modern battlefield, the AF designed their uniform for garrison wear and tear (as in wash and dry, no iron needed)

I still think that's one of the stupidest mistakes the AF made. Let the guys working with the Army wear their uniform. The guy in the team that stands out on the battlefield tends to get shot first.

ddelaney103

Quote from: Hawk200 on December 28, 2007, 03:36:42 AM
Quote from: mikeylikey on December 28, 2007, 03:30:47 AMSpeaking with many AF folks who wore ACU's and now wear ABU's, many would prefer to continue wearing the ACU's.  The ACU was designed for the modern battlefield, the AF designed their uniform for garrison wear and tear (as in wash and dry, no iron needed)

I still think that's one of the stupidest mistakes the AF made. Let the guys working with the Army wear their uniform. The guy in the team that stands out on the battlefield tends to get shot first.

Oh, please... Take a look at the picture Stonewall posted and tell me how the AF guy "stands out."  Add the battle rattle and the only difference will be sewn on stripes for NCO's.

mikeylikey

^ So here is the question.......why the crap didn't the AF just borrow the ACU design?  It would save the taxpayers $$, as well as forgo useless wear testing and introdcutions on the AF's part.  Heck they wore them when they went overseas for the past 3 years and worked with the Army.  There is no reason the "Sister Services" should not be wearing the same combat uniform.  

Ask yourself, in the next three years is the AF going to find itself in combat on the ground away from the army?  Answere....NO!  They could have taken the ACU, and changed the "A" to an "A" to mean "Air Force".  

When I am SecDEF.....all services will once again be in one combat uniform.  The only thing that should be different about military uniforms is the specific dress uniform of each Service.  

Not that any of this matters......Officers are required to buy all of their uniforms, Enlisted get them from the Taxpayers.  (However, AAFES did alter my Service jacket for free, so I guess I can say the Taxpayers bought that one for me!)
What's up monkeys?

Hawk200

Quote from: ddelaney103 on December 28, 2007, 03:42:47 AM
Oh, please... Take a look at the picture Stonewall posted and tell me how the AF guy "stands out."  Add the battle rattle and the only difference will be sewn on stripes for NCO's.

You can "Oh, please" all you want. I can still tell the difference.

Then again, I had an LT ask me why I sewed pocket zippers on my ACU. I was wearing an A2CU at the time. The thing that really strikes me funny is that he wears the A2CU on occasion as well.

mikeylikey

Quote from: Hawk200 on December 28, 2007, 03:51:32 AM
Quote from: ddelaney103 on December 28, 2007, 03:42:47 AM

You can "Oh, please" all you want. I can still tell the difference.

Then again, I had an LT ask me why I sewed pocket zippers on my ACU. I was wearing an A2CU at the time. The thing that really strikes me funny is that he wears the A2CU on occasion as well.

Freaking Lieutenants!
What's up monkeys?

Stonewall

Quote from: mikeylikey on December 28, 2007, 03:43:08 AMWhen I am SecDEF.....

I'll be Agent in Charge of your protections detail  :)

Just FYI, the Air Force, at this time, is using the Army's ACU patter on it's gear.  You may have old gear, but if you fly across the pond and are issued some sort of body armor, MOLLE gear or whatever, it'll be in the ACU digital pattern.

A new set of gear is being R&D'd called DF-LCS (Defensor Fortis - Load Carrying System).  In the information I researched and email I got from an AF Security Forces O-6, they confirm that the ACU pattern is what we'll be using until someone in the AF makes a decision.
Serving since 1987.

Hawk200

Quote from: mikeylikey on December 28, 2007, 03:43:08 AM
^ So here is the question.......why the crap didn't the AF just borrow the ACU design?

There are probably many reasons given. I think that the honest truth is that the Air Force had to have their own design.

They could have gone with tan boots, which would have made them available at any AAFES in the world. But they went with green so they would have their own design.

mikeylikey

Quote from: Stonewall on December 28, 2007, 03:53:27 AM
Quote from: mikeylikey on December 28, 2007, 03:43:08 AMWhen I am SecDEF.....

I'll be Agent in Charge of your protections detail  :)

Your Hired!

I did hear about the new AF equipment.  They did have some info awhile back on AF Portal about that.  There is no reason not to share gear.  Especially body armor, belts etc.

I would be all in favor of combining the services procurement and development into one big organization like it was pre-1960.  We fight future wars as one team, lets dress and be equipped like it.

Walking into my FDC 4 years ago, my AF buddies next door had an Air Conditioner going.  I thought to myself, "Man I would love to get myself some of that AF equipment".   ;D
What's up monkeys?

lordmonar

Quote from: Hawk200 on December 28, 2007, 03:36:42 AM

If the bad guys are close enough to tell the difference between ABUs and ACUs you are already in a world of hurt.....

See the picture below.

I can tell you from experince....while shopping for ABU's at clothing sales....I accidentally picked up an ACU cap and it was the cashier who caught it before I paid for it.  :)

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

lordmonar

^ So here is the question.......why the crap didn't the AF just borrow the ACU design?  It would save the taxpayers $$, as well as forgo useless wear testing and introdcutions on the AF's part.

Well then you have to go and ask the Marines that.  They started it when they decided that BDUs where not good for them.  THEY started the distinctive uniform stuff.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

mikeylikey

Quote from: lordmonar on December 28, 2007, 04:40:04 AM
^ So here is the question.......why the crap didn't the AF just borrow the ACU design?  It would save the taxpayers $$, as well as forgo useless wear testing and introdcutions on the AF's part.

Well then you have to go and ask the Marines that.  They started it when they decided that BDUs where not good for them.  THEY started the distinctive uniform stuff.

True......but if I go do that, I may get beat up!  :'(
What's up monkeys?

flyguy06

Quote from: Stonewall on December 28, 2007, 03:35:03 AM
Here's the ABU mixed in with the ACU.

Man, thats a lot of freaking stars in one place.

flyguy06

Quote from: mikeylikey on December 28, 2007, 03:30:47 AM
Quote from: Hawk200 on December 28, 2007, 03:26:37 AM
Quote from: WWIntel on December 28, 2007, 02:37:18 AM
ACUs and ABUs share basically the same colors.  The only difference, colorwise, is the addition of "slate blue" to the ABU.

The camo colors are very similar. The uniforms themselves are drastically different.

The ABU is basically a modified BDU. The ACU is a completely different design from any other tactical uniform in existence. There are sleeve pockets, angled chest pockets, Velcro for insignia, it closes up in the front with a zipper, and the collar is a "Mandarin" type that covers the throat area.

The uniforms may look similar in color, but the patterns themselves are highly unique.

Speaking with many AF folks who wore ACU's and now wear ABU's, many would prefer to continue wearing the ACU's.  The ACU was designed for the modern battlefield, the AF designed their uniform for garrison wear and tear (as in wash and dry, no iron needed)

Just curious. When and where did you see AF people wearing ACU's? I have never seen this. When I deployed I wason an AF base and they all stil wore desert BDU's .

To be honest, for the military (not CAP) I like the ABU's better than the ACU's

PHall

Quote from: flyguy06 on December 28, 2007, 04:54:18 AM

Just curious. When and where did you see AF people wearing ACU's? I have never seen this. When I deployed I wason an AF base and they all stil wore desert BDU's .

TACP's attached to Army units wear the ACU.  And you won't find them on an Air Force Base, try looking where the Army units are at.

Stonewall

Quote from: flyguy06 on December 28, 2007, 04:54:18 AMJust curious. When and where did you see AF people wearing ACU's? I have never seen this. When I deployed I wason an AF base and they all stil wore desert BDU's .

Here's my buddy in the Horn of Africa.  He's an Air Force Pararescueman wearing ACUs.

Serving since 1987.

mikeylikey

Quote from: flyguy06 on December 28, 2007, 04:54:18 AM
Quote from: mikeylikey on December 28, 2007, 03:30:47 AM
Quote from: Hawk200 on December 28, 2007, 03:26:37 AM
Quote from: WWIntel on December 28, 2007, 02:37:18 AM
ACUs and ABUs share basically the same colors.  The only difference, colorwise, is the addition of "slate blue" to the ABU.

The camo colors are very similar. The uniforms themselves are drastically different.

The ABU is basically a modified BDU. The ACU is a completely different design from any other tactical uniform in existence. There are sleeve pockets, angled chest pockets, Velcro for insignia, it closes up in the front with a zipper, and the collar is a "Mandarin" type that covers the throat area.

The uniforms may look similar in color, but the patterns themselves are highly unique.

Speaking with many AF folks who wore ACU's and now wear ABU's, many would prefer to continue wearing the ACU's.  The ACU was designed for the modern battlefield, the AF designed their uniform for garrison wear and tear (as in wash and dry, no iron needed)

Just curious. When and where did you see AF people wearing ACU's? I have never seen this. When I deployed I was on an AF base and they all still wore desert BDU's .

Ummm......in Iraq my second time and Afghanistan my first time.  You will not see them wearing ACU's in the States, and I do believe only AF personnel assigned to Army were issued ACU's before arriving in theatre.  Now they are issued ABU's.  Specifically, I worked with an Air Battle Manager advising my Battery for 7 months, and he wore ACU's everyday.  

Have you worn a set of ACU's?  Do you currently wear ABU's?  What makes the ABU better than the ACU?  

For me;
1) mandarin collar so my neck does not become irritated.
2) slanted pockets that are accessible through the armor
3) pockets that are convenient to my hands
4) fabric quality (sand does not work its way through)
5) fabric weight
6) more comfortable fit when running

I can go on, but I am tired and those are the main things I like about ACU's.  
What's up monkeys?

Stonewall

Quote from: mikeylikey on December 28, 2007, 05:09:48 AMHave you worn a set of ACU's?  Do you currently wear ABU's?  What makes the ABU better than the ACU?  

For me;
1) mandarin collar so my neck does not become irritated.
2) slanted pockets that are accessible through the armor
3) pockets that are convenient to my hands
4) fabric quality (sand does not work its way through)
5) fabric weight
6) more comfortable fit when running

I have a pair of ACUs and I've worn ABUs while I was trying them on.  I can tell, just from the few minutes I had ABUs on, ACUs are 10x more functional for the warrior on the ground.  ABUs are no different than BDUs, except for a much much much thicker material, color, and a pent pocket on the sleeve and lower leg.  Lower pockets on the ABU top are still worthless and are there solely for style, which means you can't tuck your blouse in if you want to in the field. 

Trust me, the ABUs may look better to some, but I have yet to find a fellow airman who is wearing ABUs who likes them.  I'm not talking intel or supply guys working in A/C.  I'm talking fellow Security Police, PJs, TACPs, etc.
Serving since 1987.

ddelaney103

Both the ACU and ABU are "works in progress."  They'll be big changes (the combat shirts) and smaller changes (lighter weight shirts for the ABU) coming down the line before long.

Stonewall

Quote from: ddelaney103 on December 28, 2007, 05:21:16 AM
They'll be big changes (the combat shirts) and smaller changes (lighter weight shirts for the ABU) coming down the line before long.

Heck yeah.  Saw those on front cover of AF Times.  I'm looking forward to those.  Hope to get them before I deploy.
Serving since 1987.

PHall

Quote from: ddelaney103 on December 28, 2007, 05:21:16 AM
Both the ACU and ABU are "works in progress."  They'll be big changes (the combat shirts) and smaller changes (lighter weight shirts for the ABU) coming down the line before long.

Talking about the ABU, hopefully they'll incorporate some of the suggestions that have been coming in from the field.
i.e. Lighter weight material, either smaller stripes on the sleeves or no stripes on sleeves but wear your rank on your chest like the ACU does, etc...

It's almost like they need two different shirts. One for the folks who don't go outside the wire and one for those who do go outside the wire that is much more "body armour friendly".

Oh well, we shall see.