Main Menu

Wearing the ABU's

Started by flyguy06, December 25, 2007, 05:52:59 PM

flyguy06

So are we going to have to start wearing the new ABU's? I really dont like that uniform, just like I dont like my own ACU's that I have to wear.

RogueLeader

I think when the AF gets the logistics down.  If you don't like the ABU's, you can wear the BBDU's :(
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Hawk200

Quote from: flyguy06 on December 25, 2007, 05:52:59 PM
So are we going to have to start wearing the new ABU's? I really dont like that uniform, just like I dont like my own ACU's that I have to wear.
]

Don't worry, ACU's grow on you. Some say like a fungus, but you get used to them.

flyguy06

Quote from: Hawk200 on December 25, 2007, 06:28:58 PM
Quote from: flyguy06 on December 25, 2007, 05:52:59 PM
]

Don't worry, ACU's grow on you. Some say like a fungus, but you get used to them.

If I were enlisted, I wouldnt care. But as an Army Officer, they took  branch insignia away. Its an army tradition for officers to wear branch insignia and colors. It dates back to the Civil War. Just like people always hear about the pride and tradition the Marine Corps have, the army has it as well, its just not as publisized. 

JAFO78

So if I rejoin CAP, do I by BDU's or ABU's??????????
JAFO

BillB

BDU's because ABUs won't be authorized for CAP for probably five years minimum
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

RogueLeader

Quote from: BillB on December 25, 2007, 07:47:36 PM
BDU's because ABUs won't be authorized for CAP for probably five years minimum

The key word is- say it with me- probably.  Truth is, we don't know when.  Some have said sometime next year- 2008, and others, as stated above- not for another 5.  It's just waiting on AF to tells us when.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

flyguy06

Yes. Pleas dont jump the gun like some of you did witht he whole "U.S. Civil Air Patrol" nametapes. I never even purchased those things and glad I didnt waste the money

Eclipse

Quote from: flyguy06 on December 25, 2007, 11:16:09 PM
Yes. Pleas dont jump the gun like some of you did witht he whole "U.S. Civil Air Patrol" nametapes. I never even purchased those things and glad I didnt waste the money

Who "jumped the gun?"  They were and are still authorized, and likely will be for at least calendar 2008 as a sundown, this assumes that the board changes anything in February.

As to the ABUs, engage your grain of salt on this, but they will most likely be in our camp by 2009, with a mandatory of 2011.  Don't spend money based on the above sentence, but my source is pretty good on this.

What hasn't been decided yet, or even discussed publicly, is what color tapes they will have, but I woudl bet money they are white on blue, the same as our existing.

"That Others May Zoom"

Nathan

To be honest, I would hope we never switch over to the ABU.

It's great and all that we would look like the USAF, but the uniforms we have work just fine for our purposes. If we don't waste our time putting a uniform that's done us good for years into the junkyard, we can still get a lot of use out of what we have without worrying about yet ANOTHER uniform change, especially on such a major level.

I personally like the uniform set-up we have now. If we do change to the ABU, I would hope that it would be gradual, as in, "when you physically run out of BDU's, then you can change over."
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

DNall

Quote from: Nathan on December 25, 2007, 11:39:58 PM
To be honest, I would hope we never switch over to the ABU.

It's great and all that we would look like the USAF, but the uniforms we have work just fine for our purposes. If we don't waste our time putting a uniform that's done us good for years into the junkyard, we can still get a lot of use out of what we have without worrying about yet ANOTHER uniform change, especially on such a major level.

I personally like the uniform set-up we have now. If we do change to the ABU, I would hope that it would be gradual, as in, "when you physically run out of BDU's, then you can change over."
You're under the misimpression we wear uniforms because they work for us. That's not the case. The AF funds a military based program that meets THEIR objectives. What works for THEM is allowing us to use their uniform items so surplus can be given over to keep the costs down for cadets & allow everyone to participate regardless of socioeconomic status. It being convenient for you or anyone else is not important.

mmouw

Keep in mind that we have the BDUs until the surplus runs out and then we will have to transition to the ABU. No other branch uses the BDUs anymore so the manufacturers out there will probably switch over to the ABU. Necessity is what determines what we were.
Mike Mouw
Commander, Iowa Wing

PHall

Quote from: mmouw on December 26, 2007, 12:23:34 AM
Keep in mind that we have the BDUs until the surplus runs out and then we will have to transition to the ABU. No other branch uses the BDUs anymore so the manufacturers out there will probably switch over to the ABU. Necessity is what determines what we were.

According to what the Manager of the Clothing Sales at March ARB, CA has told me. There used to be three manufacturers of BDU's. As of October 1, two of them are now making ABU's exclusively. The third one is supposed to change over at the end of their current contract which expires next September.

Anybody want to take a sidebet on how long it will take the supply system to run out of new BDU's?

I predict, and this is just my personal prediction, that we will be authorized to wear the ABU in 2009 because there won't be any BDU's left in the system.

flyguy06

Quote from: Eclipse on December 25, 2007, 11:29:45 PM
Quote from: flyguy06 on December 25, 2007, 11:16:09 PM

Who "jumped the gun?"  They were and are still authorized, and likely will be for at least calendar 2008 as a sundown, this assumes that the board changes anything in February.

As to the ABUs, engage your grain of salt on this, but they will most likely be in our camp by 2009, with a mandatory of 2011.  Don't spend money based on the above sentence, but my source is pretty good on this.

What hasn't been decided yet, or even discussed publicly, is what color tapes they will have, but I woudl bet money they are white on blue, the same as our existing.

Dont worry. I am not buying anything until I get a memo from NHQ directing me too

lordmonar

Quote from: PHall on December 26, 2007, 01:00:01 AMAnybody want to take a sidebet on how long it will take the supply system to run out of new BDU's?

The supply system is already running gout of new BDU's.  There was a major shortage across the nation this summer and it was only alleviated because the ABUs hit the shelves.

As for the DRMO supply of BDU's.....that is very quickly going away...the Army is the only one doing one for one swaps and they converted to ACU's two years ago.

As I have said before....this is a great opportunity for CAP to finally get uniformed and go exclusively BBDU.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

What >will< be nice, for those of you who are in the USAF/AG, etc., is that you'll be able to wear your duty uniforms for CAP by just changing the tapes.

So now for blues and field uniforms, everything will be interchangeable with pins or velcro.

"That Others May Zoom"

MIKE

ABUs have sewn on insignia... You are confusing them with ACUs again.
Mike Johnston

Eclipse

Quote from: MIKE on December 26, 2007, 02:21:29 AM
ABUs have sewn on insignia... You are confusing them with ACUs again.

>:(

"That Others May Zoom"

shorning

Quote from: lordmonar on December 26, 2007, 02:05:30 AM
The supply system is already running gout of new BDU's.  There was a major shortage across the nation this summer and it was only alleviated because the ABUs hit the shelves.

I wouldn't say it was alleviated.  I know of several people here that needed to replace uniforms and couldn't.  BDUs were out of stock with AAFES uncertain of when they might be getting more in.  And the supply of ABUs was equally scarce as people snatched them off the shelves as soon as they came it.  I was in the MCSS the other day and the ABU shelves were empty.  They only had about half the BDU shelves full.  It's been that way here for months now.

lordmonar

Know what you mean....the ABU shelves are pretty full here at Nellis, but I was recently at Cannon AFB and they had NOTHING....no ABUs or BDUs.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP