Main Menu

ABU's???

Started by CAPCAPT41, May 24, 2011, 10:25:21 PM

HGjunkie

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on May 25, 2011, 10:30:12 PM
I think even the AF has a problem differentiating itself when wearing the new ABU's/ACU's etc from everyone else that is wearing them.  Frankly I can't tell the difference (cause I really don't care anyways).  I also think they got carried away by even having office workers wear this uniform all the time.  I would think 1 day a week as "warrior day" would be fine.
ACU is spotted, ABU is striped. Not hard to tell them apart.

The issue with a CIVIL AIR PATROL field uniform is can it EFFECTIVELY distinguish us from others when performing assigned voluntary "Mission For America" ???  From a public relations standpoint we've achieved this when ANYONE in the public see us in uniform and state there goes CIVIL AIR PATROL.  We definitely aren't going to get this done with BDU's or ACU's. 
How does wearing BDUs detract from the ability for someone to tell we're not CAP?

QuoteOne thing is for sure the ABU's/ACU's are made for going to war.  CAP is not a combat command per federal law and the AF's implementing regulations, therefore any of our uniforms should allows us to be readily seen and identified as non combat participants as Civil Air Patrol volunteer members.
Well, really, I would venture to say few police depts. that wear BDU style uniforms are combat commands either.

And i'm pretty sure it's easy to distinguish these guys:

From these guys:
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

titanII

Quote from: HGjunkie on May 25, 2011, 10:46:48 PM

Do you know which wing this is? the cadet on the far left looks eerily like what my flight sergeant must have looked like several years ago
No longer active on CAP talk

MIKE

Link points to IAWG... Plus I don't know of any CH-47 units in or around MA.
Mike Johnston

NCRblues

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on May 25, 2011, 10:30:12 PM
Quote from: NCRblues on May 25, 2011, 09:18:20 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on May 25, 2011, 06:50:49 PM
I'm sure that personal investment is one of the issues.

No one likes the idea of having to shell out $200 to get new ABU's (if we ever get them).

Quick dirty and straight forward.

Job one would be to fix/correct 39-1 as it exists today.
Job two is to resolve the multiforms of our organisation.
Then they can address changes to specific uniform combos and/or requests from the field.

As someone said on CS....they need to fix the existing problems instead of adding new unifrom combinations.

You also forgot people like me, ex-military, who loves the USAF connection and uniform, and wants EVERYONE in a USAF style...
I think even the AF has a problem differentiating itself when wearing the new ABU's/ACU's etc from everyone else that is wearing them.  Frankly I can't tell the difference (cause I really don't care anyways).  I also think they got carried away by even having office workers wear this uniform all the time.  I would think 1 day a week as "warrior day" would be fine.

The issue with a CIVIL AIR PATROL field uniform is can it EFFECTIVELY distinguish us from others when performing assigned voluntary "Mission For America" ???  From a public relations standpoint we've achieved this when ANYONE in the public see us in uniform and state there goes CIVIL AIR PATROL.  We definitely aren't going to get this done with BDU's or ACU's. 

I think it's easy to see which way many of the NB will vote just based upon the uniforms they are wearing to the meeting.  Should prove to be interesting in the future to see what changes (if any) will occur.
RM   
I think mature adult members join Civil Air Patrol because of its' missions and uniforms are not a primary factor in joining or staying in CAP.  In fact I think most military retirees aren't really that interested in the CAP military uniform option unless they've got some uniforms right after coming off of active duty.

One thing is for sure the ABU's/ACU's are made for going to war.  CAP is not a combat command per federal law and the AF's implementing regulations, therefore any of our uniforms should allows us to be readily seen and identified as non combat participants as Civil Air Patrol volunteer members.
RM       

Speaking as a very recent former active duty AF member, the AF and Army can tell each other apart... they are all issued a MRK - 1 eyeball from the supply in the sky....

Your hate of anything connected to the military is well noted, thanks for stopping by, have a nice day
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

HGjunkie

Quote from: NCRblues on May 25, 2011, 11:23:17 PM
The AF and Army can tell each other apart... they are all issued a MRK - 1 eyeball from the supply in the sky....

Awesome.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: MIKE on May 25, 2011, 11:21:32 PM
Bradley International Airport, Windsor Locks CT has a CH47 detachment (6 CH 47's)
RM

titanII

Quote from: MIKE on May 25, 2011, 11:21:32 PM
ahhh, too bad.
No longer active on CAP talk

manfredvonrichthofen

That is one problem some people have with CAP Radioman, people who don't care about those who we are affiliated with. Try to care a bit, please?

The MPU was not designed just for Afghanistan, that is the "woodland pattern" of the MPU, there is also a desert and a snow and urban pattern for the MPU. Having a uniform that can be altered for the needed environment is the best way to make a uniform, this one pattern for all environments is malarkey. You cannot make a single pattern that works in all environments. Just to make the ACU blend in with Iraq, you have to get it dirty a few times and wash it in nasty dirty water to make sure the dirt stains the fabric. If you ask me, someone who has been in both Iraq and Afghanistan as a combatant, the MPU is the best idea any one has had since the beginning of field uniforms. 

abdsp51

Had a sit down with the CMSGTAF and he said there is not anything in the works right now for ABU replacement.  This new pattern everyone is yaking about is the pattern meant for Afghanistan for the Army and the AF and is meant for outside the wire missions.  He did say that there is going to be a lighter weight ABU coming out.  Now a question I pose to you guys are do you have that inside info to the CSAF or the CMSGTAF to get your info from or is it just rumors circulating?

PHall

And before somebody asks, CMSGTAF stands for Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force.
The "real" rank abbreviation is CMSgtAF.

davidsinn

Quote from: abdsp51 on May 28, 2011, 03:04:34 PM
Had a sit down with the CMSGTAF and he said there is not anything in the works right now for ABU replacement.  This new pattern everyone is yaking about is the pattern meant for Afghanistan for the Army and the AF and is meant for outside the wire missions.  He did say that there is going to be a lighter weight ABU coming out.  Now a question I pose to you guys are do you have that inside info to the CSAF or the CMSGTAF to get your info from or is it just rumors circulating?

The AF may not have any plans for it but I have read multiple news reports that the congress wants to ram it in. It's a waste of money for each service to create it's own uniform.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

abdsp51

To correct myself and PHall the correct abbreviation is CMSAF.  And congress needs to focus more on getting a budget approved for the next fiscal year before trying to ram uniform changes down the services throats.  IMO until there is something announced through appropriate channels then any inkling of a new uniform is rumor mill.

ol'fido

Don't we have about SIX other threads discussing this??? :o
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

AngelWings

Quote from: ol'fido on May 28, 2011, 07:07:00 PM
Don't we have about SIX other threads discussing this??? :o
Yes. But who cares, we are an disorganized organization  ;)

The CyBorg is destroyed

As I've said before, I doubt anyone who isn't visually or intellectually challenged can tell the difference:

(Maryland State Police)

I suspect this is just another opportunity friend RM is seizing upon to express his oft-stated desire to get CAP out of anything resembling a military uniform and into this:

(no disrespect intended to the fine folk of the Salvation Army)
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

AngelWings

Quote from: Eclipse on May 25, 2011, 04:37:06 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on May 25, 2011, 04:30:31 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on May 25, 2011, 01:37:18 AM
In 5 years no one will be wearing ABUs.

And to use your catch phrase....Cite please?

(especially considering that at least two US branches are still wearing them right now).
There are actually 4.
The USAF, the USN, the USCG (I bought a BDU top from a local unit), and the PHSCC.

lordmonar

Quote from: davidsinn on May 28, 2011, 03:15:20 PMThe AF may not have any plans for it but I have read multiple news reports that the congress wants to ram it in. It's a waste of money for each service to create it's own uniform.
And it is a waste of money for congress to force a change for no other reason then "everyone needs to be the same".  Cost savings at this point from consolidation would not make a dent in the loss of all the money and R&D that has been spend to date.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

mclarke

Simple response: I have spoke to National about this. They will not even ask/consider ABUs untill the phase out of the USAF is completed. In other words, until 2012 there will be no mention of consideration for CAP to wear the ABUs. Anything you hear about us wearing ABUs prior to 2012 will just be a rumor.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: mclarke on June 01, 2011, 12:30:22 AM
Simple response: I have spoke to National about this. They will not even ask/consider ABUs untill the phase out of the USAF is completed. In other words, until 2012 there will be no mention of consideration for CAP to wear the ABUs. Anything you hear about us wearing ABUs prior to 2012 will just be a rumor.

From the words of a 2nd Lt no less! :P

I don't think anyone is saying any of this is official banter. Just ideas being tossed around. We've all been waiting long enough for it to happen...ever since 2007 when the changes were announced.

BGNightfall

Quote from: lordmonar on May 31, 2011, 11:33:53 PM
Quote from: davidsinn on May 28, 2011, 03:15:20 PMThe AF may not have any plans for it but I have read multiple news reports that the congress wants to ram it in. It's a waste of money for each service to create it's own uniform.
And it is a waste of money for congress to force a change for no other reason then "everyone needs to be the same".  Cost savings at this point from consolidation would not make a dent in the loss of all the money and R&D that has been spend to date.

That depends... if they roll in a DoD-wide combat uniform before the Navy begins work on its second replacement for the DCU (apparently the Type 2/3 NWU are only for special operations types), and before the Army gets too invested in its newest round of combat uniform redesigns (currently in the development phase), then there may be a fair amount of savings to be had for the tax payer.