Forget about CAP getting ABUs

Started by RiverAux, September 12, 2010, 04:06:45 PM

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

NCRblues

In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

a2capt

So then that means that there are 4,325 possible factories, of which 1,427 are the real deal. ;)

JK657

Interesting side note on this topic: Today I was at the commissary getting my government subsidized shopping on when I saw an AFJROTC cadet in ABUs. Tapes were all ABU colored and had his name on one side and US Air Force on the other. The only way I knew he was a cadet was that he had Cadet 1st Lieutenant insignia pinned to his collar points.

Eclipse

Quote from: JK657 on March 19, 2011, 03:12:37 AM
Interesting side note on this topic: Today I was at the commissary getting my government subsidized shopping on when I saw an AFJROTC cadet in ABUs. Tapes were all ABU colored and had his name on one side and US Air Force on the other. The only way I knew he was a cadet was that he had Cadet 1st Lieutenant insignia pinned to his collar points.

The thing about that, and the Sea Cadets, is there is no senior program - the "participants" are all cadets, and the leaders are all military.

There's also no operational component, so the likelyhood of being seen in public is slim.

"That Others May Zoom"

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Eclipse on March 19, 2011, 03:15:41 AM
The thing about that, and the Sea Cadets, is there is no senior program - the "participants" are all cadets, and the leaders are all military.

Untrue on the Sea Cadets.  The adult leaders are volunteers, just as we are.

http://www.seacadets.org/public/officer/

Cadets in back, adult leaders in front...not sure what the AF TSgt is doing there...

AFJROTC leaders are Air Force personnel, retired I believe.

I hadn't known that AFJROTC cadets wear ABU's with USAF tapes.

Kind of reinforces our "red-haired stepchild" status, doesn't it? ::)
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

BTCS1*

Could he have been AFROTC, not JROTC?
C/2d Lt. B. Garelick, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: CyBorg on March 19, 2011, 03:30:09 AM

True enough, but they are still there for the cadets, not themselves, and with no operational role, little chance to ever
be confused with regular Navy anywhere it matters, which seems to be the main heartburn with CAP and the USAF.

"That Others May Zoom"

The CyBorg is destroyed

As to the "confusion" between us and the USAF...

I wonder how much of that is perceived and how much is actual.

Even when wearing completely non-AF orders of dress, there is still an Air Force component.

The seal on the polos says "United States Air Force Auxiliary."

The grey nameplate used on both the AF and G/W has the same wording.

It could be very easy for the uninformed or the merely thick to still make the confusion/connection.

Ironically, it was the original CSU which had NO mention of the AF anywhere.

A former pastor of mine had a favourite saying: "Who owns the problem?"

In this case, when someone chooses to be uneducated about us, and thinks we're the "Air Force," who owns the problem?
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

JK657

Quote from: BTCS1* on March 19, 2011, 03:38:39 AM

No, AFROTC and AFJROTC have very different rank insignia

Ed Bos

Quote from: JK657 on March 19, 2011, 06:09:13 AM

I think this was a college cadet. AFROTC C/3rd Class & C/4th Class wear identical rank on BDUs as AFJROTC C/2nd Lt & C/1st Lt.

http://www.jrotchq.com/usaf/rank.php
EDWARD A. BOS, Lt Col, CAP
Email: edward.bos(at)orwgcap.org
PCR-OR-001

JK657

Quote from: Ed Bos on March 19, 2011, 09:17:23 AM
Quote from: JK657 on March 19, 2011, 06:09:13 AM

I think this was a college cadet. AFROTC C/3rd Class & C/4th Class wear identical rank on BDUs as AFJROTC C/2nd Lt & C/1st Lt.

http://www.jrotchq.com/usaf/rank.php

Now thats a possibility... I was unaware of the C/3rd and 4th class insignia. When I was in the wore different insignia. We don't see many AFROTC around here but tons of AFJROTC.

wuzafuzz

Quote from: Eclipse on March 19, 2011, 03:42:42 AM
Quote from: CyBorg on March 19, 2011, 03:30:09 AM

True enough, but they are still there for the cadets, not themselves, and with no operational role, little chance to ever
be confused with regular Navy anywhere it matters, which seems to be the main heartburn with CAP and the USAF.
Back when I was a Sea Cadet we had a mixture of Navy officers and NSCC officers as leaders.  Both accompanied us on 2 week cruises on operational vessels.  Although the NSCC officers had no operational role other than keeping us in line, it would have been easy to confuse them with real Navy officers.  Especially in the khakis.  For whatever reason the Navy seemed to be OK with that.  The Air Force simply takes a different view. 

Perhaps the Navy is less concerned since NOAA and U.S. Public Health Service already wear nearly identical uniforms.  What's one more group going to hurt?

One would think the Air Force would be OK with CAP wearing an obvious shoulder patch, like NSCC does.  That would stand out more than grey shoulder marks.  BTW, NSCC also requires their members to maintain height/weight standards to wear the modified Navy uniform.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

BGNightfall

FWIW, NSCC Adult leaders are also required to maintain US Navy weight standards to wear the Navy uniform.  For adult members who do not meet weight requirements, there is an alternate civilian-style (polo shirt and khaki trousers) uniform that they may wear.  From what I've seen, NSCC does not have a 10% allowance, as CAP does, either.  Either you make the weight, or you don't.  Perhaps they have as much complaining about this standard, but not being plugged in with that organization, I wouldn't care to speculate.

SarDragon

Quote from: BGNightfall on March 20, 2011, 04:21:00 AM
FWIW, NSCC Adult leaders are also required to maintain US Navy weight standards to wear the Navy uniform.  For adult members who do not meet weight requirements, there is an alternate civilian-style (polo shirt and khaki trousers) uniform that they may wear.  From what I've seen, NSCC does not have a 10% allowance, as CAP does, either.  Either you make the weight, or you don't.  Perhaps they have as much complaining about this standard, but not being plugged in with that organization, I wouldn't care to speculate.

But what's their facial hair policy?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: BGNightfall on March 20, 2011, 04:21:00 AM
FWIW, NSCC Adult leaders are also required to maintain US Navy weight standards to wear the Navy uniform.

Indeed?

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

BGNightfall

@Cyborg.  Indeed.  I'm sure any number of individuals could drag out images of CAP members improperly wearing the USAF uniform despite being outside of weight limits.  I'm sure that all of us on these boards would point to that as a leadership failure, not a failure in the regulation per se.

@SarDragon.  Beards are permissible by waiver only from NSCC National Headquarters.  I'll grant that this is at least a step above CAP NHQ, which makes no such distinction (even though our parent service does).

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: wuzafuzz on March 20, 2011, 04:00:25 AM
Perhaps the Navy is less concerned since NOAA and U.S. Public Health Service already wear nearly identical uniforms.  What's one more group going to hurt?

Not to mention State Naval Militias.

Only the pocket device identifies this officer as a member of the New York Naval Militia.

Quote from: wuzafuzz on March 20, 2011, 04:00:25 AM
One would think the Air Force would be OK with CAP wearing an obvious shoulder patch, like NSCC does.  That would stand out more than grey shoulder marks.

Like these?

(Who knows, even Radioman may like the last one, since it is red.)
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Major Carrales

Let's not start the junk about posting pics of people and height and weight.  Unless you have a scale, a measuring stick and proof it is best to just shut up about it.

It is unbecoming, in addition, to post pictures of people for the purpose if ridicule especially since they cannot defend them self.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454