Forget about CAP getting ABUs

Started by RiverAux, September 12, 2010, 04:06:45 PM

JArvey

Quote from: Eclipse on March 08, 2011, 03:26:52 AM
Quote from: JArvey on March 08, 2011, 03:13:16 AMIt takes a good 30 minutes to find a matching pair that look decent, and ordering them online they never match, and they are 5X more expinsive then they are normally.

Never match what?

BDU.com has them right now for $23.99.  You had a source for new, mil-spec, BDU's for $4.79?

No one on this board, or anyone I know personally, has ever had a single price or quality issue with them, and they are just one in the pack.
The last time I went to the military store near me they had plenty of Propper woodland in both new and used.

I know multiple people that have had problems with only finding summer weight BDU's and not winter weight BDU's, and thats nice that they have them for you, but they dont for us

Eclipse

Quote from: JArvey on March 10, 2011, 01:50:51 AM
I know multiple people that have had problems with only finding summer weight BDU's and not winter weight BDU's, and thats nice that they have them for you, but they dont for us

Us?

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: Eclipse on March 10, 2011, 02:24:39 AM
Quote from: JArvey on March 10, 2011, 01:50:51 AM

Us?

Them?

Indefinite pronouns are useless without some association to noun.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

JArvey is saying some group that he is a part of is discriminated against regarding uniforms.

I want to know who "us" is, and how he believes that is true.

"That Others May Zoom"

Major Carrales

Quote from: Eclipse on March 10, 2011, 03:40:03 AM
JArvey is saying some group that he is a part of is discriminated against regarding uniforms.

I would love to provide for every cadet everything they need, and try, but I can only get them what I can get them.   If there are BDUs we have come across, we can issue them.  If these are not any, I cannot "miracle" them into existence.  "When can I get a service coat?" I am often asked..."When there is one to issue you!" I answer.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

PA Guy

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on March 08, 2011, 04:19:28 AMAnd U.S. Cav, when I call and ask for BDUs, they ask what pattern, I say woodland, and they ask MPU? And I say, no, not multicam, old style Army BDUs, I'm sorry sir, we don't carry those anymore.

I just checked the US Cavalry Store website.  They have Tru Spec Woodland BDUs for about $60/set.

Slim

My source lists them as well.  In fact, the poly/cotton twill (AKA winter weight) shirts are on sale right now, limited sizes for $9.95.

Slim

majdomke

Quote from: PA Guy on March 10, 2011, 07:29:52 AM
Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on March 08, 2011, 04:19:28 AMAnd U.S. Cav, when I call and ask for BDUs, they ask what pattern, I say woodland, and they ask MPU? And I say, no, not multicam, old style Army BDUs, I'm sorry sir, we don't carry those anymore.

I just checked the US Cavalry Store website.  They have Tru Spec Woodland BDUs for about $60/set.
I love those TruSpec woodlands... they are hot weather BDU's and perfect here in CA. I'm on my second set in three years from them. Only trouble I have with ordering is that my size sometimes requires special order. They have the reg sizes but Talls are might have to wait.

JArvey

Quote from: Eclipse on March 10, 2011, 03:40:03 AM

The area around where we (all cap members around my general area) live

Eclipse

Quote from: JArvey on March 11, 2011, 12:19:06 AM
The area around where we (all cap members around my general area) live

Which is serviced in exactly the same way as every other unit in the country - you are fully capable of obtaining the same, high-quality, properly-priced
uniforms as every other unit in CAP.

Those who randomly happen to have an MCSS or military store nearby are the exception, not the norm.  I live near metro Chicago and there never been more than a handful of retail stores that sell BDU's or other uniform parts, and today there are probably two, total.  Even Scott, which is the nearest USAF base, has a tiny BX and rarely had/has much CAP members can use.

If up until this point you were able to walk into a nearby store and hand-pick your uniforms, consider yourself lucky, and now you're in the club with the rest of us.

The bottom line is that there are hundreds, if not thousands of sources for BDU's online, many wings are now swimming in them because of generous DRMO's dumping them on the waste and secondary markets, and the sources most members have always used are status quo.

If through some poor alignment of the stars you get parts that don't match, send them back, but don't posture that is the norm, or try and
insinuate there is a great emergency regarding BDU's.

There.

Isn't.

"That Others May Zoom"

Persona non grata

For all concerned, when you order from LACKLAND AFB MCSS ,They still have BDU'S in stock for the next year.  PM me if you want the details for how CAP can place phone orders with them.  I have verfied this with the manger of MCSS.

TAKE CARE
Rock, Flag & Eagle.........

Eclipse

FWIW - I just left the NAVEx at Great Lakes.  Between my office and the store I saw a number of recruits Seamen in shiny new woodland BDU's (SeaBees?).

Lots of NWU and NSU.

On the way in I passed one Marine in MARPAT, and about 4-5 NCO's in desert MARPAT.

In the store they had ACU's, NWU's, and one lonely desert MARPAT shirt.  No woodland, but then they haven't had woodland there for at least a year.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

I don't know of any reason for recruits wearing woodland BDUs. Not all new Seabees (one word) are ID'd as such prior to boot camp. When I went through, and my neighbor's kid (now a CM2) went through, the UOD for all recruits was the same, blue stuff.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Sorry, incorrect nomenclature.  I am on the NTC right now so the majority are Seaman or higher (recruits are on the RTC where we hold the encampment).

Uniforms for all recruits now are the NWU and NSU.  No more utilities.

"That Others May Zoom"

JArvey

Ok so the point is that we are going to run out of NEW BDUs within the next 5 years, and my friend from a different squadron lives a hour and a half away from a very small army navy store, 2 hours away from a big one and he has no internet to order them online.

Eclipse

Quote from: JArvey on March 17, 2011, 11:02:39 PM
Ok so the point is that we are going to run out of NEW BDUs within the next 5 years, and my friend from a different squadron lives a hour and a half away from a very small army navy store, 2 hours away from a big one and he has no internet to order them online.

Then I guess in 5 years he's out of luck - which would be the time to worry about it, not now.

And "we" aren't going to run out of BDUs, only people who are so devoid of resources that they cannot find internet, a phone, or someone else to help them will have issues.

"That Others May Zoom"

JArvey

True, but we do not want to procastinate to much, im not saying we should get them now or even next year. But after that we need to atleast start a transition

jimmydeanno

Boy Scouts
--------------
Boyscouts:  "Order your Boy Scout uniforms from this location, we don't keep any in stock."
Parents: "Ok, I'll order them."

CAP
--------------
CAP: "Order your uniforms from this location, we don't keep any in stock."
Parents: "What do you mean you don't have any for free, in a huge supply room?"

I still don't know how we end up acting like we're some sort of discount uniform retailer who's obligation it is to source free used uniforms from everywhere on the planet, as though they are our sole source.  Most cadets aren't as "poor" as they make themselves out to be.  Most still seem to have Nintendo DS, XBox, IPods, IPhones, and wear Abercrombie clothing.  It's about priorities, most of the time.  I tell parents straight up that initial membership fee is meager, but expect to spend a few hundred dollars on uniform items in the next few years.  I haven't had anyone complain yet.

Even then, there are units like mine (and every other one I've ever been a member of) that can outfit 200+ cadets in blues and BDUs (minus shoes).  Considering that most units are under 10 cadets, I can't imagine that there is a run on the supply...

We have used uniforms, but we throw A LOT of them away when they're donated.  If there's holes, tears, overly faded, buttons missing, starched beyond recognition, ring around the collar, etc - they get thrown away.  Just because they're used doesn't mean that they need to look like it.

Long story short, when the "free stock" dries up, our members will just do what every other organization on the planet does - order new BDUs from "suggested" vendor that NHQ makes an arrangement with.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

ol'fido

Just checking back...Have ya all broken any new ground in the last 12 pages?
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

JArvey

How many factories still make BDU's?