Forget about CAP getting ABUs

Started by RiverAux, September 12, 2010, 04:06:45 PM

mmouw

Here on Scott, on any given day, there are maybe a hand full of people on base that are in BDUs. Its not because they don't have ABUs, its more so out of nostalgia.
Mike Mouw
Commander, Iowa Wing

DakRadz

Quote from: mmouw on November 12, 2010, 03:42:42 AM
Here is the link...

http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123173118

BTW my wife was in the audience and yes he did say that ABUs are here to stay!!

With all due respect, and bear in mind that I am on your side, I can't accept word of mouth friend-of-a-friend as my source.... That article does not give any concrete support to the "ABUs are here to stay" theory/claim.

NCRblues

Quote from: DakRadz on November 12, 2010, 04:54:49 AM
Quote from: mmouw on November 12, 2010, 03:42:42 AM
Here is the link...

http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123173118

BTW my wife was in the audience and yes he did say that ABUs are here to stay!!

With all due respect, and bear in mind that I am on your side, I can't accept word of mouth friend-of-a-friend as my source.... That article does not give any concrete support to the "ABUs are here to stay" theory/claim.

Show me "concrete" support that ABUs are on the way out... i have seen nothing from the "brass" that actually says "good bye ABU's"...so....were arguing about a "possible maybe" or a military classic "stand by to wait one, to stand by"? I wear ABU's everday and have heard nothing about the ABU's going away....only those deploying get the new multi...so....
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

DakRadz

Quote from: NCRblues on November 12, 2010, 05:01:27 AM
Show me "concrete" support that ABUs are on the way out... i have seen nothing from the "brass" that actually says "good bye ABU's"...so....were arguing about a "possible maybe" or a military classic "stand by to wait one, to stand by"? I wear ABU's everday and have heard nothing about the ABU's going away....only those deploying get the new multi...so....

I agree with you. The article doesn't give confirmation one way or the other- I was merely saying that it couldn't be used as a source, by anyone; at least, not for our discussion.

abdsp51

There has been nothing put out about ABU's going away.  And the Air Forces Times is not an official publication of the USAF.  IMHO I do not see the ABU going away anytime soon,  I have had a few co workers wearing ACU's while conducting and OTW mission and it's on been within this past year that the multi-cam has been authorized for the Army operating in Afghanistan.  They are still debating a new service dress uniform, but nothing on a change to the utility uniform.  The AF is authorizing it for OTW missions since so many airmen are conducting JET missions OTW.  I have yet to hear anything from an Official source to say that we are losing the ABU's and if our head enlisted guy says they are here to stay then until something comes down in an official release IMHO they are here to stay.

ColonelJack

The Army is still debating the service dress?  I thought the phase-out of the greens was a done deal.

Hmmm ...

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

abdsp51

My apologies the AF is still debating the stinking service dress the Army has tossed the greens for the blues.

manfredvonrichthofen

The Army has gone fully to the "ASD," the blues uniform with a dark blue four square pocket, gold trimmed epaulets, you can either wear full size medals or ribbons, and the headgear is beret or service cap. The pants are almost an Infantry blue with NCOs wearing a gold stripe down the legs and private to E-4 (E-4 team leader considered NCO) with no gold stripe.

I have not heard of USAF thinking of changing the dress uniform again.

DOD says that they ant all branches to transfer into the same field uniform, but I don't see that happening with all the money that has already gone into the uniform changes.

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on December 01, 2010, 05:36:00 PM
The Army has gone fully to the "ASD," the blues uniform with a dark blue four square pocket, gold trimmed epaulets, you can either wear full size medals or ribbons, and the headgear is beret or service cap. The pants are almost an Infantry blue with NCOs wearing a gold stripe down the legs and private to E-4 (E-4 team leader considered NCO) with no gold stripe.

I have not heard of USAF thinking of changing the dress uniform again.

DOD says that they ant all branches to transfer into the same field uniform, but I don't see that happening with all the money that has already gone into the uniform changes.

The AF had been considering a new dress uniform, but I think they have stopped for now.  Something about no money, or something.
Another former CAP officer

BradM

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on December 01, 2010, 11:59:41 PMThe AF had been considering a new dress uniform, but I think they have stopped for now.  Something about no money, or something.

You mean these two styles?

I like the bottom style the best. Either the bottom style or the pattern of the Army greens but in Air Force blue, 4 Air Force "Hap Arnold" buttons, no belt, current Air Force service cap.

BRAD MELILLO, 1st Lt, CAP
Finance Officer
Asst. Professional Development Officer
Brackett Composite Squadron 64
La Verne, CA

Eclipse

All long forgotten.  No longer being considered.

"That Others May Zoom"

manfredvonrichthofen

Wow that top one just looks like what Hitler would have his "civilian" (non-military) police in. Absolutely hideous. Absolutely agree with the idea of the Army green uniform just in blue. I think that would be a rather good idea, have all the services in the same cut of uniform just in different colors.

davidsinn

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on December 02, 2010, 12:19:13 AM
Wow that top one just looks like what Hitler would have his "civilian" (non-military) police in. Absolutely hideous. Absolutely agree with the idea of the Army green uniform just in blue. I think that would be a rather good idea, have all the services in the same cut of uniform just in different colors.

It's a blue version of the US Army's uniform from WW I...
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

DakRadz

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on December 02, 2010, 12:19:13 AM
I think the Marines would disagree. They've changed their uniforms very, very little in the past century or two. I never have planned to join the Marines (not for negative reasons), but that's pretty straight and true heritage. Only the field/fatigue uniforms, and that's merely to keep up with styles/effectiveness of the day. (Flying Pig, feel free to correct me)

The Navy is pretty static on dress uniforms too. Fairly so- you can see WWII pictures of extremely similar Service Dress Blue Uniforms of today. And they've brought/are bringing the Service Dress Khakis back- heritage. (SarDragon, you too)

The Army- Yes, they've made some fairly major changes (saw this in a post by Kachenmeister, listed the uniforms he's lived through or served in Army-wise); although revamped and modified, the new Service Uniform is a throwback to Civil War-era dress. Heritage.

The Coast Guard- They wore Navy uniforms for a long time, but they've had the same Service Dress Blues since 1972. The changes distinguished themselves yet kept aspects of the Navy and their time in those uniforms (and they kept the white Chokers, too- smart move ;))
Heritage.

Now, someone was talking about the Air Force.....?

HGjunkie

I like the bottom one. The top one looks too Marine-ish.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

manfredvonrichthofen

Oh, I retract my hitler statement, the top one looks black, I have never seen it before.

BradM

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on December 02, 2010, 12:43:41 AM
Oh, I retract my hitler statement, the top one looks black, I have never seen it before.

"I find your lack of faith disturbing!"

;)
Finance Officer
La Verne, CA

DakRadz

And look at the other officer's face- it fits perfectly!

BradM

Quote from: DakRadz on December 02, 2010, 12:31:47 AM
I think the Marines would disagree. They've changed their uniforms very, very little in the past century or two. I never have planned to join the Marines (not for negative reasons), but that's pretty straight and true heritage. Only the field/fatigue uniforms, and that's merely to keep up with styles/effectiveness of the day. (Flying Pig, feel free to correct me)

The Navy is pretty static on dress uniforms too. Fairly so- you can see WWII pictures of extremely similar Service Dress Blue Uniforms of today. And they've brought/are bringing the Service Dress Khakis back- heritage. (SarDragon, you too)

Now, someone was talking about the Air Force.....?

I think the Marine Corps and the Navy should keep their current uniforms. Its the Air Force that I think should have a 4 pocket tunic again instead of the business suit style. And, I think the womens uniform should not be the same as the mens as in the pictures of the proposed styles. I like the women's Air Force uniforms that they have now or in the 1990s.
Finance Officer
La Verne, CA

HGjunkie

Quote from: BradM on December 02, 2010, 12:54:17 AM
Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on December 02, 2010, 12:43:41 AM

"I find your lack of faith disturbing!"

;)

I enjoyed reading the copyright note on that:
"Dude where's the beach?"
••• retired
2d Lt USAF