Forget about CAP getting ABUs

Started by RiverAux, September 12, 2010, 04:06:45 PM

tsrup

Quote from: Eclipse on October 29, 2010, 05:24:41 AM
No, they aren't - they only quote official sources and contain photos of airman in multicams.

They all only mention issuing to Airmen working outside the wire in Afghanistan

this link: http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/2010/03/airforce_afghanistan_uniforms_032810w/   that you provided even says in big bold letters No plans to replace the ABU...
Paramedic
hang-around.

Hawk200

Quote from: tsrup on October 29, 2010, 05:31:41 AMThey all only mention issuing to Airmen working outside the wire in Afghanistan

this link: http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/2010/03/airforce_afghanistan_uniforms_032810w/   that you provided even says in big bold letters No plans to replace the ABU...
That's the way it starts. Goes to the "special" units first, then to all combat theaters, then trickles down to the folks in the States.

You can already get just about any military branch insignia you want in MultiCam colors, in just about any color combo you want. Each branch will probably have their own thread color or options in how they want to ID, but it's all there.

manfredvonrichthofen

It doesn't matter what uniform the Armed Services end up in for the next ten years. When the USAF changed their uniforms, it has always been that a few years after they made the switch fully across the service then they would authorize the uniform for CAP. This makes a great deal of sense, they first and foremost need to ensure that the soldiers that have the potential to deploy (I say potential because when they have changed the uniform in the past we haven't always been at war) so that they are ready. What ever they decide to wear as a uniform we will most likely get in a few years after the whole of the Air Force is wearing the uniform.

Note that USAF still has about 40% of its force still in BDUs, so that means that they are not ready to change us over yet.

Just remember how it worked when changing from the pickles to BDUs, and when the old style service dress was changed to the new style. It just takes some time. Please just be patient with it.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on October 29, 2010, 06:53:48 PM
Note that USAF still has about 40% of its force still in BDUs, so that means that they are not ready to change us over yet.

Really?  Just out of curiosity, where did you get the info?  I live on an AF Base and have spent months this year at various others and have only seen 1 or 2 people in BDUs.  At 40% I should have seen thousands.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: jimmydeanno on October 29, 2010, 07:04:47 PM
Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on October 29, 2010, 06:53:48 PM

Really?  Just out of curiosity, where did you get the info?  I live on an AF Base and have spent months this year at various others and have only seen 1 or 2 people in BDUs.  At 40% I should have seen thousands.

My apologies I meant to say about 40%, that was about six months ago on the USAF Times, who was able to back up their numbers, sadly I cannot find a link to the article. Having been in the Army for about six years I have read the Army and USAF Times quite a bit and I do put a lot of faith in what they say because I have never read an article of theirs that was way off base. They might have missed a few minor details, but have never been flat wrong in any sense. USAF might have upped their numbers quite a bit since then, but I do know that MOST all USAF personnel on Army Posts wear either BDUs or they are actually caught in ACU uniforms. The old TBDU uniform is used by many Airmen on Army Posts also, Fort Campbell being one of the ones who rarely have Airmen in ABU uniforms. I just spent about a week down their very recently.

Al Sayre

I was at Maxwell for NSC in the SOS Building and saw a few of the new Lt's in BDU's
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Eclipse

4 or 40 it is still an active USAF uniform, combatant airman are being issued Multicams, and Congress is looking to move back to
a common field uniform.

CAP will never see the ABU and the USAF will likely sundown ABU's in less than 3 years.

What is amusing is that this thread started with Riveraux posting the AFTimes article about the multicams, but the thread got so derailed that people forgot that.

"That Others May Zoom"

Hawk200

Quote from: Eclipse on October 29, 2010, 07:35:20 PMWhat is amusing is that this thread started with Riveraux posting the AFTimes article about the multicams, but the thread got so derailed that people forgot that.
I don't see us in MultiCam in the near future (which in my own thought process is about five years). I figure we'd see ABU's before MultiCam, but only if all the direct AF programs get them first, and there's plenty of overstock available.

For CAP, I figure some nice tan tapes and patch backgrounds would be pretty distinctive.

Eclipse

My random WAG (mark the date), is that the perceived lack of BDU's forces a move for all members to the blue field uniform, because the USAF uniform will still be in too much flux to move to whatever they are wearing in 2012 or 13.

"That Others May Zoom"

BradM

I just bought my first woodland BDUs yesterday so I dont mind if there is a few years delay :)
BRAD MELILLO, 1st Lt, CAP
Finance Officer
Asst. Professional Development Officer
Brackett Composite Squadron 64
La Verne, CA

Slim

Quote from: BradM on October 30, 2010, 12:54:01 AM
I just bought my first woodland BDUs yesterday so I dont mind if there is a few years delay :)

Don't worry, there will be.  We (CAP) were authorized to wear BDUs in 1990, the green fatigues didn't sundown until 1995, IIRC.

I'd anticipate the same for any transition from BDUs to whatever we end up with.

Slim

Stonewall

Just think, if all of the sudden SEALs, Special Forces and Marine Recon guys started wearing Blue BDUs, every cadet and half the senior members would be slamming ABU/ACU/MultiCam and pushing for BBDUs because they're THE BEST EVAR!

Serving since 1987.

DakRadz

Quote from: Stonewall on October 30, 2010, 11:28:37 AM
Just think, if all of the sudden SEALs, Special Forces and Marine Recon guys started wearing Blue BDUs, every cadet and half the senior members would be slamming ABU/ACU/MultiCam and pushing for BBDUs because they're THE BEST EVAR!

Nah, they wouldn't be that cool 'til the USAF guys got in on it (for me, at least).

Especially those Security Forces types.

Stonewall

Quote from: DakRadz on October 30, 2010, 11:43:15 AMNah, they wouldn't be that cool 'til the USAF guys got in on it (for me, at least).

I bet if some PJs showed up to PJOC next summer, every cadet in CAP would have BBDUs by the time school started back up again.
Serving since 1987.

mmouw

According to an interview with Chief Master Sergeant James A. Roy, the Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force, ABUs are here to stay. The only change coming is the summer weight ABU. Even though they have not been popular with those who wear them, that doesn't mean they are short lived.

Here on Scott AFB, there are only a hand full of people wearing BDUs. At the MCSS, there is a very small picked over supply of BDU stripes and badges. They don't even display them anymore. In fact I ordered a couple of badges from Vanguard and they are on back order and have been going on 2 months now. There have been no BDUs on the shelves for almost a year or more.

We need to remember that the DCU was issued to deploying members since the first gulf war. We never saw them replace the BDUs. 

I had heard from a very reliable source that the AF gave CAP the blessing to wear them, but it has been CAP that is dragging their feet for one reason or another. I was told they are wanting to do this uniform right by getting the proper input and look for us. After all we will be wearing them for sometime. With all the uniform changes over the last four years, I for one, hope they do it right and I am willing to wait for them.
Mike Mouw
Commander, Iowa Wing

HGjunkie

••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Rotorhead

Quote from: DBlair on September 12, 2010, 04:26:58 PM
BDUs are already getting scarce, if we are going to wear them for another 5 years, where are we going to find them?

I'll disagree with this statement. I have found that surplus stores have stacks of new BDUs from Propper, etc. on the shelves.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

Eclipse

Quote from: mmouw on October 31, 2010, 01:13:52 AM
According to an interview with Chief Master Sergeant James A. Roy, the Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force, ABUs are here to stay. The only change coming is the summer weight ABU. Even though they have not been popular with those who wear them, that doesn't mean they are short lived.

I meant to ask you to cite this.  Anything dated before the multi-cam issue to the troops won't hold much weight.

"That Others May Zoom"

DakRadz

Quote from: Eclipse on November 08, 2010, 08:48:59 PM
Quote from: mmouw on October 31, 2010, 01:13:52 AM

I meant to ask you to cite this.  Anything dated before the multi-cam issue to the troops won't hold much weight.
Actually, he said this in response to the Multi-Cam issue, because of the scare/freak out. Multi-Cam only to Afghanistan-bound Airman.

It was in the Airman magazine, let me see if I can find it.

I was wrong. I'll find it.

Alrighty, maybe I'm crazy- mmouw, help me with a cite.

However, I say we still come back to the fine but bright line details in this article

mmouw

Here is the link...

http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123173118

BTW my wife was in the audience and yes he did say that ABUs are here to stay!!

Mike Mouw
Commander, Iowa Wing