Forget about CAP getting ABUs

Started by RiverAux, September 12, 2010, 04:06:45 PM

Patterson

So are we getting ABU's or not?!?!?!?!?!

Eclipse

Quote from: Patterson on October 28, 2010, 01:48:38 PM

No.  And the USAF will probably be out of them in the next year as well.

"That Others May Zoom"

jeders

Quote from: FARRIER on October 28, 2010, 07:25:27 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on October 28, 2010, 01:22:16 AM
Quote from: Major Carrales on October 28, 2010, 01:11:38 AM
We were donated a good number of bdus from an ROTC department, so we can provide most of what they need, for now.  Fact is, if I had to have them buy the field uniform, their parents would likely pull them from this new "MONEY PIT" that CAP would be.
Either your cadets are either living at a level of economic strata that is far below the poverty line, in which case I sympathize, or they
have gotten used to a level of entitlement that is inappropriate.

The silver spoon analogy doesn't work. Eclipse is correct. Unless all of today's teenagers, including the twelve year olds are no longer taught a work ethic, I'd bet they would convince thier parents to let them stay in CAP. They would figure out how to make the cash for the set of BDU's. And your implication somewhere in this thread that the cadets would all, otherwise, end up in the gangs speak poorly of the parents too.

Considering where the Major is located, gangs are about the only other option, regardless of what the parents are doing.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

BradM

Quote from: Eclipse on October 28, 2010, 02:50:38 PM

"Out of them" as no longer using them or out of stock?
BRAD MELILLO, 1st Lt, CAP
Finance Officer
Asst. Professional Development Officer
Brackett Composite Squadron 64
La Verne, CA

MIKE

^ No longer using them and transitioning to OCP/MultiCam.
Mike Johnston

NJMEDIC

I have heard that the congress is going to mandate one uniform for all the services like the Woodland BDU
Mark J. Burckley,NJ EMT-P
Major  CAP
Member NJ EMS Task Force

Major Carrales

Quote from: NJMEDIC on October 29, 2010, 01:58:13 AM
I have heard that the congress is going to mandate one uniform for all the services like the Woodland BDU

This idea comes and goes.  It is sort of a vicious cycle.  One cycle experts make this same realization..."We need one uniform for economics sake and for consistency..." everyone agrees, for a while. 

Then, one branch decides it needs a specific uniform.  Then...they all do.  That was the whole "digital camo uniform" movement of recent years starting with, if memory serves, the US Marines, then the US Army and then everyone else (I may have that wrong due to perception)    I'm sure millions were spent developing those things and the accompanying wear tests et al.

Then, once everyone has their "baby," experts make the realization..."Hey, we need one uniform for economics sake and for consistency..." everyone agrees, for a while.     :'(
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

BradM

It seems to me that each service should have one for desert climates and one for European/Asian type climates. I dont see why the Navy needs blue digital camo though if you fall in the ocean no one will be able to find you ;)
Finance Officer
La Verne, CA

Major Carrales

Quote from: BradM on October 29, 2010, 02:16:16 AM
It seems to me that each service should have one for desert climates and one for European/Asian type climates. I dont see why the Navy needs blue digital camo though if you fall in the ocean no one will be able to find you ;)

I think one basic design for all with specific patterns and gear for varying climates.  Even in the 19th century they used "whites" for tropical places, "khakis" for deserts and "blues" for colder climates.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

BradM

Quote from: Major Carrales on October 29, 2010, 02:22:58 AMI think one basic design for all with specific patterns and gear for varying climates.  Even in the 19th century they used "whites" for tropical places, "khakis" for deserts and "blues" for colder climates.

I do like to be able to tell Marines from Army in photos. Perhaps the Air Force could have the same camo as the Army but I like the Marines having their own look.
Finance Officer
La Verne, CA

NCRblues

When they fall into salt water, they turn BRIGHT orange  :o
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

DC

The point in MultiCam/OCP is that it is reasonably effective in a wide range of climates, compared to the current UCP scheme used by the Army and AF (different patterns, same basic colors) which is supposed to, but really just makes you stand out everywhere.

The Marines have a good system with their two MARPAT uniforms, I don't see the point in forcing them to dump the pattern that has served them well for almost a decade now.

The Navy's NWU isn't supposed to camouflage anything, it's just meant to be a functional work uniform. I have heard that the 'camo pattern' on it is designed to look hardcore hide stains, which are apparently common/almost unavoidable when living on a boat.

BradM

Quote from: DC on October 29, 2010, 02:53:59 AM

The point in MultiCam/OCP is that it is reasonably effective in a wide range of climates, compared to the current UCP scheme used by the Army and AF (different patterns, same basic colors) which is supposed to, but really just makes you stand out everywhere.

The Marines have a good system with their two MARPAT uniforms, I don't see the point in forcing them to dump the pattern that has served them well for almost a decade now.

The Navy's NWU isn't supposed to camouflage anything, it's just meant to be a functional work uniform. I have heard that the 'camo pattern' on it is designed to look hardcore hide stains, which are apparently common/almost unavoidable when living on a boat.

The Army, Air Force, and Navy in the MultiCam/OCP and the Marines in the MARPAT?
Finance Officer
La Verne, CA

PHall

Quote from: Eclipse on October 28, 2010, 02:50:38 PM

And this nugget of infomation came from where?  (Cite your source please.)

caphornbuckle

Just FYI but these questions came up when the Air Force changed over from the "Pickle Suit" to BDU's.  We waited a few years later and CAP was approved the BDU's.

The problem was fixed then and I'm sure it will be fixed when time comes as well for this time around.

Seems to me if the wing doesn't have enough BDU's to go around or units are not insisting borrowed BDU's be returned from members who leave the unit, someone isn't doing their job.
Lt Col Samuel L. Hornbuckle, CAP

SarDragon

Guess what? That's no different from what it has been since some time in the '30s (maybe before). The working uniform for the Navy has been blue for a very long time.

The digital camo isn't to hide from people, it's to help hide the dirt that sailors are exposed to in a shipboard environment.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

No, they aren't - they only quote official sources and contain photos of airman in multicams.

"That Others May Zoom"

Hawk200

Quote from: PHall on October 29, 2010, 04:49:11 AM
And not one of them is an "official" source. How about something from the Air Force Uniform Board?
In case you haven't noticed, the various military "Times" newspapers are NOT an official source of information.
A lot more reliable than hearsay. A few years ago, one of the bases I was stationed considered banning the "Times" from the base over an improperly researched story. They may not have absolutely correct dates, but they're usually in the know.

It would certainly be beneficial to have a single uniform pattern. If you need anything specialized, such as flash resistant, fire resistant, or other such things; it would be a lot easier to just have a common pattern. It would beneficial for OPSEC purposes as well. Never really know which branch you're dealing with until they're up close, and too late.