Main Menu

When We Left Earth

Started by DC, June 08, 2008, 06:42:14 PM

DC

The Discovery Channel is airing a six part series covering NASA's manned missions. This will be an excellent opportunity for anyone, but cadets especially, I'd imagine, to learn about the history of the U.S. manned space program.

It starts 8 pm Eastern tonight

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/nasa/programs/programs.html

fyrfitrmedic

I'm waiting for the "Apollo's a fraud" bit to start up again...
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

CadetProgramGuy

"We landed on the moon?  NO WAY!!!"

Dumb and Dumber

dwb

I'm watching it now; it's good.  Much to my surprise, they actually got Neil Armstrong to say something on camera.

DC

Quote from: dwb on June 09, 2008, 01:34:26 AM
I'm watching it now; it's good.  Much to my surprise, they actually got Neil Armstrong to say something on camera.
I missed the second part, got dragged into watching the season premier of 'Army Wives'.

[jawdrop]
Armstrong on camera?

Possibly the most famous recluse in recent history...

[/jawdrop]

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: DC on June 09, 2008, 03:11:57 AM
Quote from: dwb on June 09, 2008, 01:34:26 AM
I missed the second part, got dragged into watching the season premier of 'Army Wives'.

[jawdrop]
Armstrong on camera?

Possibly the most famous recluse in recent history...

[/jawdrop]

No, no, no... you mean 'Noel Fly'? (A running joke between space memorabilia collectors. Armstrong's a notoriously reclusive person, and rarely gives interviews or cooperates in biographical research (the exception being the biography First Man. He almost never signs autographs; when he does the name appears to read 'Noel Fly' instead of 'Neil Armstrong', especially when signed with a thick Sharpie marker.)

Pretty decent series so far, though occasionally you can tell that whoever put soundbites with video created a few anachronisms; for example there was a snippet of a transmission for the launch of Apollo 14 somewhere in one of the Mercury segments. They did get to use the much of the digitally-restored NASA footage done by Spacecraft Films, which is outstanding.

Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

NIN

I had to put "First Man" down. It was, hands down, the most awfully written book I've read in awhile.  And I was REALLY anticipating it, too. 

Whomever edited that thing should have had his or her butt kicked.  Nevermind the author.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

James Shaw

Did anyone know that we have Alan Shepards first ground school instructor as a member of the CAP. Colonel Ben Stone gave Alan Shepard his first 3 flying lessons before he left for the academy. I have a picture of them together at the CAP 50th Annv where Mr. Shepard brought this to Col. Stones attention. Col. Stone is 94 and lives in an assisted living center in Atlanta GA with his wife Jackie.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - Current
USCGA:2018 - Current
SGAUS: 2017 - Current

Pylon

Quote from: caphistorian on June 10, 2008, 06:48:54 PM
Did anyone know that we have Alan Shepards first ground school instructor as a member of the CAP. Colonel Ben Stone gave Alan Shepard his first 3 flying lessons before he left for the academy. I have a picture of them together at the CAP 50th Annv where Mr. Shepard brought this to Col. Stones attention. Col. Stone is 94 and lives in an assisted living center in Atlanta GA with his wife Jackie.

Did not know that.  Very cool tidbit of CAP and aerospace history! 

I wonder what Col Stone's reaction was when he realized he had given Alan Shepard his first flying lessons?   :)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

♠SARKID♠

Just started watching the series.  EXCELLENT FOOTAGE, thats definitely the highlight of the program for me.  They did a great job restoring it.  Also, having the original astronauts (Neil Armstrong wow!) giving the interviews is a LOT better than a bunch of college professors blabbing on about nothing.  Gary Sinise makes for a fitting narrator too what with him being in Apollo 13.

DC

Yes, the footage is excellent, especially the video from the Lunar EVAs. The actual radio clips are great too. You have heard all of these quotes before, but to actually hear them is great.

Its nice with the interviews too that they got Chris Kraft and Gene Kranz in there, it is nice to hear the other perspective of the events.

I'm still in shock about Armstrong, I believe that is the first time I have seen him speak about the moon, or NASA in general, on camera. Usually Buzz Aldrin does all of the talking. (And skeptic decking, if you know what I mean  ;D)

NIN

Quote from: caphistorian on June 10, 2008, 06:48:54 PM

According to my ex-wife's family lore: In the mid-1930s, Alan Shepard used to ride his bike every day from his home in Derry, NH to the former Grenier Field (now Manchester-Boston Regional Airport) on the Londonderry/Manchester town line.  In exchange for sweeping the hangar at Carl Parks' flying service, then the FBO at the airport, he got flying lessons.   My ex-wife's great uncle, Arnold Butler, was partners with Carl Parks and was one of Shepard's flight instructors.  Not sure if he was ever in CAP, though. 

My ex-wife's grandfather was a CAP member in 1942. He gave me the post card he got from NHQ thanking him for submitting his membership (Spring 1942, IIRC) that had the signature block (sans signature) of MG John H. Curry and the "H" was struck out by typewriter with an "F"  Very interesting. Some Air Corps captain probably got his butt in a sling for having the print shop run those without proof reading the boss's signature block. :)

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

NIN

Quote from: DC on June 17, 2008, 12:35:19 PM
Yes, the footage is excellent, especially the video from the Lunar EVAs. The actual radio clips are great too. You have heard all of these quotes before, but to actually hear them is great.

Its nice with the interviews too that they got Chris Kraft and Gene Kranz in there, it is nice to hear the other perspective of the events.

I'm still in shock about Armstrong, I believe that is the first time I have seen him speak about the moon, or NASA in general, on camera. Usually Buzz Aldrin does all of the talking. (And skeptic decking, if you know what I mean  ;D)

I saw something, not sure if it was on this show or elsewhere, where they played the WHOLE powered descent film with audio.  Usually you hear Aldrin going "300, down at 3 1/2, 47 forward.." and such, and then 'bam' "Shutdown" and "Engine Stop"  But man, it was interesting watching the PGNS working against the fuel sloshing in the video (a faint cyclical yawing action that's very apparent in the sped up films..) and how they were bumping into the deadband on the control system, etc, and then powered pitchover, etc.
* NIN is a gigantic Apollo dork.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

jimmydeanno

Just in case anyone is looking to purchase this series, it is available through the discovery channel store website.

http://shopping.discovery.com/product-71602.html?hp=HPA_Main-WhenWeLeftEarthTheNASAMissionsDVDSet

If anyone has access to www.workingadvantage.com there is a special offer that gives you two DVDs free with it.  The package includes:

When We Left Earth DVD Set
Planet Earth: Pole to Pole
Sunrise Earth: America's Greatest Sunsets

Both options are priced $69.95 + shipping.

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: NIN on June 17, 2008, 04:57:58 PM
Quote from: DC on June 17, 2008, 12:35:19 PM

I saw something, not sure if it was on this show or elsewhere, where they played the WHOLE powered descent film with audio.  Usually you hear Aldrin going "300, down at 3 1/2, 47 forward.." and such, and then 'bam' "Shutdown" and "Engine Stop"  But man, it was interesting watching the PGNS working against the fuel sloshing in the video (a faint cyclical yawing action that's very apparent in the sped up films..) and how they were bumping into the deadband on the control system, etc, and then powered pitchover, etc.
* NIN is a gigantic Apollo dork.

* AlphaSigOU  isn't far from NIN being a rabid Apollo dork...

Ya do know about the Spacecraft Films DVDs, right?  ;D

Another interesting tidbit... they even captured the characteristic 'howl' of the Gemini-Titan II turbopumps starting at engine ignition. Talk about instant on...  ;D

It even looks like some of the Saturn V launch footage was shown at regular speed; most times it's shown in very slow motion.
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

NIN

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on June 19, 2008, 11:57:08 AMIt even looks like some of the Saturn V launch footage was shown at regular speed; most times it's shown in very slow motion.

<space geek>
You seldom see footage of the Skylab launch on the INT-21 (A 2-stage Saturn V sans escape tower and CM/SM), and you nearly NEVER see footage of the launches of the manned missions to Skylab and the Saturn IB standing on the milkstool.
</space geek>

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: NIN on June 19, 2008, 02:04:27 PM
Quote from: AlphaSigOU on June 19, 2008, 11:57:08 AMIt even looks like some of the Saturn V launch footage was shown at regular speed; most times it's shown in very slow motion.

<space geek>
You seldom see footage of the Skylab launch on the INT-21 (A 2-stage Saturn V sans escape tower and CM/SM), and you nearly NEVER see footage of the launches of the manned missions to Skylab and the Saturn IB standing on the milkstool.
</space geek>

</more space geekery> Yea, ya don't see much of the Skylab Saturn V/SaturnIB/ASTP Saturn IB footage around. Even more so, there's pitifully little released film of the Russkies in space; what is in circulation is in poor condition.</more space geekery>

For those who wanna show off their obscure knowledge of Apollo, here's a few tidbits o' trivia on the Saturn V (about ten years ago I once hosted a history page on the Web on the Saturn V):

By looking at the number of ullage rocket fairings on the S-IC/S-II interstage, you can tell at a glance what mission type was flown: 8 for Apollo 4 and 6, 4 for Apollos 8-14, none on 15-17 and Skylab 1.

Looking for the Saturn V's elusive serial number? It's midway on the lower black roll pattern of the S-IC stage. It's relatively small and tend to gets lost in the massive size of the rocket.

The lower S-IC roll pattern once extended to the top of the intertank structure; studies revealed that the black areas would subject the stage to higher than normal friction heating. Solution? Cover it up with white paint. You can see the slight difference in white shade on any picture of Apollo 4 and Apollo 6.

The 'S' in 'USA' on the lower S-IC stage is rounded; this only appears on the S-ICs for Apollo 4 and 6. That's because both stages were built at Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville. All other S-ICs were built at the Michoud Assembly Facility in New Orleans; the 'S' appears a little more squared off.

KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

DC

The footage from the shuttle of the SRBs and ET seperating are really cool. Never seen that stuff before. I also don't think I have actually seen the footage of Challenger, only pictures. My mom was across the room practically in tears remembering that...

The footage from Columbia as they were beginning their decent was quite interesting for me, as that was something that happened in my lifetime, I remember waking up and seeing it on the news, and being totally stunned.

Forgive me for a small thread deviation:

May we never forget.

Eclipse

This popped up on Netflix a few weeks ago, and I finally had a chance to see it.

It reminded me how invested everyone was in space travel at the time, and how we all
just assumed that by now we'd be living in space as a matter of course.  A time when "heros"
actually did something besides sell records and act like a fool in public.

It's got an amazing level of detail and information.  I was watching it with about 7 related
Wikipedia and other pages open, and after about 3 hours realized they were still talking about early Gemini!

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Awesome necro, and actually worthwhile, for a change.  8)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret