I would like to know about CAP's response to Katrina...

Started by Nomex Maximus, August 05, 2007, 02:32:00 AM

Nomex Maximus

Hello all,

I joined CAP just a few months ago so I wasn't here when Katrina hit. I wonder if anyone who went to the area with CAP could share their stories here? I'd really like to know who and how many were sent, how they were used, how much flying was done, what rescues were accomplished. Please tell all.

Thanks in advance

--Nomex

Nomex Tiberius Maximus
2dLT, MS, MO, TMP and MP-T
an inspiration to all cadets
My Theme Song

RiverAux

floridacyclist

None of our local teams went, but because of my experience with CAP RECON I was asked to do some interesting stuff by the state EOC as a comm operator... www.tallahasseecap.org/pdfs/2005aar.pdf
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

DrDave

Any one have a copy or access to the lengthy Katrina After Action Report put out by the Dallas Composite Squadron (Texas Wing) in Sept. 05?

I thought that was a pretty comprehensive report.

Dr. Dave
Lt. Col. (Dr.) David A. Miller
Director of Public Affairs
Missouri Wing
NCR-MO-098

"You'll feel a slight pressure ..."

IceNine

I have the after action and the powerpoint lessons learned.  I will post them once I get to my home computer tonight.

At one time Lt.Col. Scott Trepinski (CAP's IC for Katrina/Rita) had a website that texas used as a daily briefing site.  Not sure if that is still up and I cannot find the link.

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

♠SARKID♠

Some of the members from WI wing went (I wasnt 18, so FEMA said "NO SAR FOR YOU!") including our wing commander and a few of my squadron.  We also sent down ORCA, our mobile command post that hands down beats anything you guys have to offer.  Why?  Because its the only one in the nation!  After Katrina, ORCA and WI wing get put on standby for any possible hurricane threat, including Dean

mikeylikey

Quote from: DrDave on August 05, 2007, 01:06:23 PM
Any one have a copy or access to the lengthy Katrina After Action Report put out by the Dallas Composite Squadron (Texas Wing) in Sept. 05?

I thought that was a pretty comprehensive report.

Dr. Dave

Isthat the AAR that said the "teams" from PAWG did everything wrong and were even told to go "home"?  If so......that was an enjoyable read! 

What's up monkeys?

Skyray

Quote from: SARKID on August 23, 2007, 07:52:36 AM
Some of the members from WI wing went (I wasnt 18, so FEMA said "NO SAR FOR YOU!") including our wing commander and a few of my squadron.  We also sent down ORCA, our mobile command post that hands down beats anything you guys have to offer.  Why?  Because its the only one in the nation!  After Katrina, ORCA and WI wing get put on standby for any possible hurricane threat, including Dean
Didn't Iowa wing send a contingent with a Colonel, too?  Whatever happened to that effort?

A good command post like ORCA is invaluable, both immediately post event and during the short term recovery. Why; because as we are learning, the infrastructure that supports our hand-helds, mobiles, cell phones and email dies and doesn't come back for a long time.  My cell phone did not work for three months post Andrew.  During Andrew Florida Wing had a mobile command post with HF, unfortunately there were not enough trained operators who knew how to keep the thing in tune.  I hope with the new (expensive) supposedly idiot proof radios that this is no longer a problem.  I honored the FEMA request to stay away from the war zone in Katrina so I wasn't involved, but Gene, how did the long range communications work?  I know that Ham Radio operators were credited with several saves using HF and back relay to alert the local response, but I have heard nothing of CAP communications.  I handled a few health and welfare messages from here in Miami, but there did not seem to be any stations up in the vicinity of ground zero.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

isuhawkeye

general Glasgow responded with a few key staff members. 

I was on the list, but backed out

♠SARKID♠

A good command post like ORCA is invaluable, both immediately post event and during the short term recovery.

You're right.  ORCA pretty much gets called up on everything, and WI wing uses it on every training mission we do.  Its great because we can have all of our radio and command capabilities that we do at mission base moved to a remote location.  Plus its great for extended deployments becuase of all the living/sleeping space it has.