My Wing Officially Rolls Out ...

Started by etodd, May 20, 2019, 08:26:53 PM

etodd

So while another CAP sUAS Check Pilot and myself have been training people in our local Squadrons for a couple months, our Wing is fully onboard now and we are developing plans to roll it out to other Squadrons in the Wing.

BTW, some of you will laugh and others will raise an eyebrow, when I tell you I have been made sUAS Program Director for my Wing. Going to be a wild ride.

Have surveyed the Wing members and are identifying those who are already are Part 107, with some experience, who could be quickly trained as Instructors. They could then train members in nearby Squadrons. sUAS training really needs to be done locally. With batteries having short times, there is no way to try and get 40-50 people to meet centrally on a Saturday or two, and get enough actual flying hours.

For anyone interested, I'll keep you apprised of our progress in this thread, over time.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Lord of the North

Now if you only had NHQ approved and published directives and forms to use.

Holding Pattern

Quote from: Lord of the North on May 20, 2019, 09:37:26 PM
Now if you only had NHQ approved and published directives and forms to use.

They literally can't until they finish the publications rewrite. They can, however, continue to operate in a compliant manner simply by working within the confines of CAPR 60-3 Para 1-31, "Technical or Specialized Operations."

etodd

^^^ While I do understand your disbelief, it is CAP National Headquarters telling us to go ahead and use all the documents (70-1U, F5U, SQTR, F91U, etc., etc.,) even though they are still in draft form.

As your Wing rolls out its sUAS Program, you'll get the official instructions. I've been mistaken in the last few months thinking all Wings were rolling out at the same time. But after hearing from all the folks here at CAPtalk, and other places, its obvious that its rolling out in Wings at different timetables.  My understanding is that all Wings 'could" be starting now, but I guess its Wing Commanders that call the shots for their folks. You might want to inquire.

Fubar

Quote from: etodd on May 21, 2019, 12:03:32 AM
70-1U, F5U, SQTR, F91U, etc., etc.,) even though they are still in draft form.

Where are these documents posted for use?

CAP9907

Quote from: Fubar on May 21, 2019, 05:21:43 AM
Quote from: etodd on May 21, 2019, 12:03:32 AM
70-1U, F5U, SQTR, F91U, etc., etc.,) even though they are still in draft form.

Where are these documents posted for use?

More than that, who to contact to get them? Is there a Duty Assignment for  "DOu" or even a position for "sUAS Program Director" in eServices or anywhere? I can't find any of this when pulling reports and contacts for duty positions (let alone a SQTR or a training manual relating to signoffs). And how are these people chosen, by what criteria, what training, and to what standards are they to be held?

Without transparency, this is just another Good ol' boys club that the the average Member cannot access, which fosters resentment and doubt.

~9907

21 yrs of service

Our Members Code of Conduct can be found here:   http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=13.0

NIN

I can't use a new member inprocessing checklist that hasn't been approved up thru NHQ without an SUI finding.

Yet I'm supposed to assign people to non-existent position, and operations are supposed to use unapproved draft publications and forms, and it's "OK?
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

THRAWN

And Nero fiddles....

Quote from: NIN on May 21, 2019, 10:37:02 AM
I can't use a new member inprocessing checklist that hasn't been approved up thru NHQ without an SUI finding.

Yet I'm supposed to assign people to non-existent position, and operations are supposed to use unapproved draft publications and forms, and it's "OK?
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

etodd

If your Wing is not rolling it out yet and your Wing Commander isn't informing you of the process and what documents to use, etc. ..... then don't worry about it for now. Its simply not time for you yet.

CAP9907

Quote from: etodd on May 21, 2019, 06:33:28 PM
..... then don't worry about it for now. Its simply not time for you yet.

You've made my point better than I ever could have
21 yrs of service

Our Members Code of Conduct can be found here:   http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=13.0

Live2Learn

Quote from: etodd on May 21, 2019, 06:33:28 PM
If your Wing is not rolling it out yet and your Wing Commander isn't informing you of the process and what documents to use, etc. ..... then don't worry about it for now. Its simply not time for you yet.

Do you envision a MOU with the FAA that would allow recreation UAS qualified operators to fly quasi commercial missions like crewed aircraft?

etodd

Quote from: Live2Learn on May 21, 2019, 10:32:44 PM

Do you envision a MOU with the FAA that would allow recreation UAS qualified operators to fly quasi commercial missions like crewed aircraft?

Really not sure what you are asking. I'm not interested in recreational flyers. CAP sUAS Mission Pilots are Part 107.

NIN

Quote from: etodd on May 22, 2019, 01:44:30 AM
Really not sure what you are asking. I'm not interested in recreational flyers. CAP sUAS Mission Pilots are Part 107.

I think the question was basically would there potentially be, when flying under CAP's aegis, for non-Part 107 pilots to fly.

For example, currently CAP pilots who are private-only are allowed to fly AFAMs under an exemption to FAR 61.113(e), which allows a private pilot to be reimbursed for expenses.

(Just off the top of my head, I would guess that the answer is "no" because the current FAR 61 exemption still requires pilots to be properly certificated pilots, like Part 107 requires sUAS pilots to be properly certificated...)

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

etodd

AFAM Missions?  No.  Certain limited Demonstration flights can be non Part 107:

4.1. CAP sUAS Pilot Qualifications

4.1.1. CAP sUAS Demonstration Pilot

4.1.1.1. To operate as a CAP sUAS Demonstration Pilot, the member be qualified to operate a sUAS under 14 CFR Part 101, with appropriate endorsements from a CAP sUAS Instructor Pilot for the make and model aircraft flown and have completed a CAPF 5U check flight by an CAP sUAS Check Airman within the last 12 calendar months.

(But until I see a specific need for Demonstration Pilots that for some reason cannot be performed by our Part 107 Pilots, I'm not pushing the idea of training Part 101 only Pilots)

Live2Learn

Would CAP use of AFAM numbers be constrained for DJI and other UAS by national concerns of Chinese manufactured drone security concerns?  See:  https://www.npr.org/2019/05/29/727612692/we-re-not-being-paranoid-u-s-warns-of-spy-dangers-of-chinese-made-drones

Eclipse

Not as of today, but it's a possibility and would be hilarious.

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

Quote from: Live2Learn on May 29, 2019, 06:23:55 PM
Would CAP use of AFAM numbers be constrained for DJI and other UAS by national concerns of Chinese manufactured drone security concerns?  See:  https://www.npr.org/2019/05/29/727612692/we-re-not-being-paranoid-u-s-warns-of-spy-dangers-of-chinese-made-drones

A couple things.  The CAP issued DJI drones we are currently using for "training" are only being used with similar tablets that were issued for the Garmin Virb, eliminating the Apple connection. And the software to fly, has been modified to eliminate using the cloud.

Now, that being said, if we showed up to some Mission with a state EMA, would they take our word for it?  Maybe, maybe not.

But realistically, I see it taking at least a year, maybe a little more, before we have enough Wings with enough qualified sUAS Mission Pilots to be able to start working Missions for customers.  By then, drones more suited to real world scenarios will be obtained for actual customer work.  Would still be fine to keep using off the shelf DJI consumer models for training. Cheaper to replace when a newbie crashes one.

Live2Learn

Quote from: etodd on May 29, 2019, 07:26:28 PM
[... CAP issued DJI drones we are currently using for "training" are only being used with similar tablets that were issued for the Garmin Virb, eliminating the Apple connection. And the software to fly, has been modified to eliminate using the cloud. ...

Where are Garmin VIRB controller tablets built, and by whom?  Are ANY commercially available tablets or other hand held devices built in "secure" countries, i.e. in the US, Canada, Australia, NZ, or Western Europe?  Are the alternate tablet/smart phone devices ever connected at any time to the internet?  It seems like the security holes might not be that easy to close.

Eclipse

Soon we'll hear that Huawei was chosen as the official controller vendor.

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

Looks like the Army is going toward the Euro made Parrot.

https://www.suasnews.com/2019/05/parrot-selected-by-u-s-dept-of-defense-to-help-develop-next-gen-drone-for-army/

If itworks out for the Army, maybe it would be OPSEC good enough for CAP to use for FEMA flood photos. 🤣