Main Menu

Ribbon devices

Started by I_Am_Twigs, April 12, 2018, 06:12:02 PM

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: I_Am_Twigs on April 12, 2018, 09:09:55 PM
Quote from: TheSkyHornet on April 12, 2018, 08:20:02 PM
Quote from: I_Am_Twigs on April 12, 2018, 07:56:38 PM
QuoteWhen CAP regulations are vague, ask your leadership.  USAF regulations do not supersede CAP and in many cases can lead you down the wrong path. 

I've found that my squadron leadership has a lot of the stuff wrong, which is why I turn to USAF and CAP regs more often. I still turn to my leadership quite a bit though, in fact I actually brought this to them before I went out looking for the answer. And I understand that USAF regs do not supersede CAP regs, like I said, I follow USAF regs up until CAP regs say I can't, after all we do wear their uniforms.

QuoteYou can use the attached devices or  spend a ton of time trying to get get individual devices lined up and spaced correctly.

Thank you sir, this was the answer I was looking for, or at least part of it.

Thanks for everyone's help!

-Twigs

The USAF regs don't go above CAPM 39-1 and CAPR 39-3. You wear your uniform in accordance with CAPM 39-1 which includes the decorations issued under CAPR 39-3.

AFI 36-2903 has nothing to do with your CAP uniform as a cadet.

I've read CAPM 39-1 and most of it looks like it's copy pasted straight from AFI 36-2903. There are a few things that 39-1 misses though.
Example:

39-1
(Blue lightweight jacket)
6.1.3.2.2. Cadet officers will wear regular or miniature size metal rank insignia on the jacket epaulet. Cadet NCOs and Airmen will wear metal chevrons on the jacket collar. Cadet airmen basic wear no collar insignia.

It never specifies the measurements for the insignia. And I don't think we're just going to slap some dots or diamonds on where ever we like, there has to be a measurement. (the NCO and airman insignia are 1" from the collar edge, assuming from most rank placing)

AFI 36-2903
(Blue lightweight jacket)
6.1.5.1.1.1. Officer Rank Insignia. Officers will center regular size rank insignia 5⁄8 inch from end of the epaulet and parallel with the sleeve seam, when applicable.

AFI 36-2903 gives a clear measurement, this is what I follow. CAP regs don't go against the measurement, there is nothing in CAP regs that says that I can't go off this.

Another example:

CAPM 39-1
(Topcoat)(Trench coat)
6.1.8.2.2. Cadet Rank Insignia. Cadet officers will wear regular or miniature size metal rank insignia on the coat epaulets. Cadet NCOs and Airmen will wear metal chevrons on the coat collar. Cadet airmen basic wear no collar insignia

Again, just like the jacket they gave no measurements.

AFI 36-2903
(Topcoat)(Trenchcoat)
6.1.7.1.1.1. Officer Rank Insignia. Officers wear shoulder mark insignia. Center 1 inch metal rank insignia 5⁄8 inch from end of epaulet. All Generals wear 1 inch stars. 3⁄4 inch stars are optional if unable to wear the 1 inch stars.
6.1.7.1.1.2. Enlisted Insignia. Metal rank insignia is worn centered 1-inch up from the bottom of the collar and parallel to the outer edge of the collar. Enlisted males may also wear 4-inch chevron rank and females may wear 3 1⁄2 or 4-inch chevrons centered on the outer arm halfway between the shoulder seam and elbow

Here are the clear measurements again.

Like I've said, I go off of Air Force regs until CAP regs say I can't. Yes CAP says I can't use USAF regs a lot, but there are instances that I've had to turn to them.

I mean no disrespect, this is just my way of getting around 39-1's flaws.

-Twigs

C/Chief.... stop.

There is no "getting around" the regulations. This is what we're instructed to do. It's not perfect. That doesn't matter. It is what it is.

Chill out.

No disrespect taken. No disrespect given. There's a self-discipline in 'getting over it.'