Expansion of gocivilairpatrol.com

Started by jimmydeanno, October 01, 2008, 03:25:26 AM

A.Member

Quote from: Pylon on October 30, 2008, 04:17:13 AM
I put together a Facebook page for my squadron.  I use targeted ads that only get shown to kids 13 to 18 in my geographic region, and only those with certain keywords/interests listed in their profiles.  By constantly showing my ads to the teenagers most likely to join a program like CAP, I can surmise that my marketing will be more effective (than advertising to a non-targeted audience).  A couple of those targeted teenagers, from my geographical area, view our page each day.  That's more than I can say for most unit websites. Took me one evening to set-up our page, upload photos and videos, set-up the facebook ads and it runs itself.  I just login to check stats from time to time, and make sure any potential leads are followed-up with.  Somehow, miraculously, I'm not sucked in to making glittering animated GIFs and LOLZCATS and whatever else you're afraid of associating yourself with.
Have they joined your squadron?  What is it's true effectiveness?  Views are one thing.  Gaining a commited member is another. 
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Major Carrales

Quote from: A.Member on October 30, 2008, 04:35:54 AM
Quote from: Pylon on October 30, 2008, 04:17:13 AM
I put together a Facebook page for my squadron.  I use targeted ads that only get shown to kids 13 to 18 in my geographic region, and only those with certain keywords/interests listed in their profiles.  By constantly showing my ads to the teenagers most likely to join a program like CAP, I can surmise that my marketing will be more effective (than advertising to a non-targeted audience).  A couple of those targeted teenagers, from my geographical area, view our page each day.  That's more than I can say for most unit websites. Took me one evening to set-up our page, upload photos and videos, set-up the facebook ads and it runs itself.  I just login to check stats from time to time, and make sure any potential leads are followed-up with.  Somehow, miraculously, I'm not sucked in to making glittering animated GIFs and LOLZCATS and whatever else you're afraid of associating yourself with.
Have they joined your squadron?  What is it's true effectiveness?  Views are one thing.  Gaining a commited member is another. 

Well said!
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

FlexCoder

If anyone ever needs any free help in regard to their websites, let me know anytime. 

I have been in CAP for over 24 years both as a Cadet & as a Senior.    I am around some of the most influential people & web developers of today and have seen or participated in several, really cool innovations that would benefit CAP greatly.   I understand both viewpoints but CAP needs a 21st century mindset to survive into the next century. 

However, the old mindset is important in learning the basic fundamentals of ground team & air ops training.   One can't always count on a GPS, a basic no-tech compass is an essential tool & skill that a member must be proficient with.    You can't have one or the other, you need the old & the new but when it comes to public relations, marketing, recruiting, etc, we need to utilize some of the high-tech trends of today though. 

Do you think the Boy Scouts sit back & tinker with the ways of the old, no, they do there research & exploit markets that help them get bigger & stronger.   And most of us that truly luv the CAP program do not want to see CAP only on ebay later.  Whether it be social networking or something else trendy, we need to take advantage of it.  I am a team player, I want to give something back to CAP like most of you do since it has done a lot of great things for me over the years.  It would be better time spent to start fixing each Wing website, devise a good plan for the National site with member involvment than to ponder on who is right and who is wrong.  And if you want statistics about the current trends, more than welcome to disclose any of that info.   I have extensive knowledge & research in regard to the latest trends & interfaces on the net.  It is imperative that I keep up with the trends and what's hot and what's not to be competitive in today's society.  And I am not a hacker for having acquired knowledge, skills in advanced web development.   Hackers are criminals that want to destroy, create problems & disrespect code... web developers respect coding, innovate & solve problems.   Big difference!

Most of the Wing websites need basic CSS, add-ons, better graphics, a personal touch, code updated or fixed & other easy fixes.   I feel bad for the Wings that have a bad site, as a team, we need to fix them.  Remember, if they look bad, we all look bad!  And when Edison was proposing the lightbulb in the late 1890's, most people thought it was a stupid idea.....without light, where would we be today..... 8)

Eclipse

You have to start with the assumption that a wing even needs a public-facing website.  I would argue they don't.  That, frankly, is the single underlying fallacy and problem with the web - people and organizations who believe a web presence is required and have no content to share publicly, thus no actual need for a website.

The need to fill dead air is what propagates the problems with FB & MS (and Twitter and others).

Wings don't recruit members, neither do Regions or Groups, only local units recruit members.

Most Wings and Regions have little information the general public would even be interested in, so beyond a general, static, contact page, anything else is gravy, which is why they go stale so fast.

No one will argue that our units need a better web presence and PA efforts, but FB or MS are not the answer, and there simply isn't enough day-to-day activity at local units for DYNAMIC! EXCITING! web pages, nor are there enough people willing to keep the content fresh.

Even the "blogosphere" is more a "cut-and-paste-osphere".  Every day there are about 10 compelling, original stories or news articles in a given field, and the rest of the world just links back or endlessly, monotonously, comments on those same ten articles.

"That Others May Zoom"

Always Ready

Quote from: Eclipse on October 30, 2008, 05:24:42 AM
The need to fill dead air is what propagates the problems with FB & MS (and Twitter and others).
I agree to an extent. The problems that come along with Facebook and MySpace personal memberships are horrible. But I believe a squadron membership would do a great justice. Over the past year that I have had a personal membership with Facebook, I have posted a variety of CAP related pictures, stories, etc. This funny thing happened...my friends started asking questions :o. After almost four years of membership, I have yet to be able to recruit one of my friends. Most of them thought the idea of CAP was stupid. Within the past year, several have joined. Most teens don't care about personal experiences or the details about the program. They care about a cool looking photo and a way to make them look just as cool. Trust me on this...I'm 19 years old. If a squadron were to create memberships (like several of them have), post pictures and videos of their cadets and SMs taken by cadets (sometimes SMs)...people would become interested. I know several of my friends spend hours a week just looking up random groups on Facebook. The squadron membership would keep the problems that plague personal accounts away. Just make sure that more than one person has access to the account and that EVERYBODY (cadets and SMs) moderates it so that nothing gets out of hand.

If you want to recruit the youth, have the youth recruit. Have the Squadron Commander or the DCC talk to the parents...not a Recruiting Officer.

FlexCoder

First off, I didn't assume, I clearly stated the facts, Eclipse.   There is plenty of content to add & keep a site fresh on a weekly basis.   Recruiting new CAP members is at all levels of CAP not just the local units.  You obviously haven't been in CAP that long to understand that fact.   Plus, the Wing site should lead by example and be the top site in the Wing.   How can a Wing IT mentor to cadets & seniors at a squadron level when the Wing site is absolutely terrible!
In regard to the Wing websites current condition, most passer-bys would move on.   Ever think about what the CAP members may need or want to in regard to a website.  Whether the site be local, Wing or Region level, only a few are of any use to anyone.   Let's change that!  MySpace, Facebook are not the main answer but they do help people become aware of CAP.  Look at those sites as tools or extensions to help promote CAP moreso.  And I do agree with you that you should only have a presence on the web if it is of use to the member & the general public otherwise it is a waste of dead air.  

Surprisingly, blogs are a very useful tool, a great way to advertise CAP for free.  Some of the top websites used certain blogs to get there site known and it works wonders if one can become a member of some of the blogs that have big media & marketing influence.

fyrfitrmedic

Perhaps it's too soon to deride social networking... the intelligence community has set up a 'secure' site for info-sharing re: the War on Terror.
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

Eclipse

Quote from: FlexCoder on October 30, 2008, 05:55:27 AM
First off, I didn't assume, I clearly stated the facts, Eclipse.   There is plenty of content to add & keep a site fresh on a weekly basis.   Recruiting new CAP members is at all levels of CAP not just the local units.  You obviously haven't been in CAP that long to understand that fact.

Such as? 

Being a noob I would like your enlightenment, especially considering that in the month of September, for example, there were only about 100 stories posted on CAP news, total - that works out to be an average of 2 stories per month, per wing.

"That Others May Zoom"

NC Hokie

Quote from: FlexCoder on October 30, 2008, 05:09:13 AM
If anyone ever needs any free help in regard to their websites, let me know anytime. 

I'll bite, and I'll start with what I hope is a simple question.  I cannot develop a website with a traditional CMS because I cannot justify the expense of ongoing hosting fees to my squadron finance committee.  I know that the fees aren't THAT expensive, but the simple truth is that there are other, more important, things that we need to be spending our limited funds on.  I have looked into Office Live and the Google offerings but have found their templates to be too restrictive (and unattractive) for my tastes.  With those preliminaries out of the way, here's the question:

Are there any CMS-like systems that operate on a local PC, producing an FTP-ready site that can be uploaded to the hosting server?
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

Eclipse

Quote from: NC Hokie on October 30, 2008, 12:58:13 PMI cannot develop a website with a traditional CMS because I cannot justify the expense of ongoing hosting fees to my squadron finance committee. 

An excellent point - not insurmountable, but valid.

There are units all over with zero budget and $5 a month actually is an issue. Saying it shouldn't be doesn't change that.  Hosting isn't free, and having an ad-sponsored site is just as unprofessional as having one made in FrontPage. (plus in some cases it may violate the applicable regs for content).

"That Others May Zoom"

Pylon

Quote from: Eclipse on October 30, 2008, 01:27:38 PM
Quote from: NC Hokie on October 30, 2008, 12:58:13 PMI cannot develop a website with a traditional CMS because I cannot justify the expense of ongoing hosting fees to my squadron finance committee. 

An excellent point - not insurmountable, but valid.

There are units all over with zero budget and $5 a month actually is an issue. Saying it shouldn't be doesn't change that.  Hosting isn't free, and having an ad-sponsored site is just as unprofessional as having one made in FrontPage. (plus in some cases it may violate the applicable regs for content).

Yet another supporting point for why National should be hosting unit websites, operating off a mandatory template system like the Air Force mandates for subordinate unit sites.  Thus, one less expense and one less hurdle for units to have to cross.

But as Maj Carrales has pointed out several times, there's no sense in putting together anything at the national level for this sort of stuff because units are the only echelon that does things and national-level strategery couldn't possibly help the units carry out their missions.   ;)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Capt Rivera

Good point Major... if the goCAP site is getting blocked in the workplace & or education environment that is a major problem and needs attention!

Also

They might want to create a less intensive website for those still on dial up or limited resourced networks (library's etc) -(Not as much as an immediate problem?)
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

cnitas

Quote from: Pylon on October 30, 2008, 01:35:07 PM
Yet another supporting point for why National should be hosting unit websites, operating off a mandatory template system like the Air Force mandates for subordinate unit sites.  Thus, one less expense and one less hurdle for units to have to cross.

A 5 second Google search and I found a hosting solution that would cost about $35,000 annually to host unlimited domains and unlimited data.  That assuming a need to host2,500 squadron template sites
http://www.inmotionhosting.com/hostingplans.html

Now all we need is for someone to design a good worthy template.
Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Eclipse

Quote from: cnitas on October 30, 2008, 04:18:37 PM

A 5 second Google search and I found a hosting solution that would cost about $35,000 annually to host unlimited domains and unlimited data.  That assuming a need to host2,500 squadron template sites
http://www.inmotionhosting.com/hostingplans.html

Now all we need is for someone to design a good worthy template.

And manage access, which would be a full time job for several people...

"That Others May Zoom"

cnitas

Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Eclipse

You're talking about server access for hundreds of units, other echelons, special activities and similar.

Thousands of accounts, access rights, trouble shooting bad code, and probably policing content.

This is not something that could be rolled out or supported on a part-time basis.

"That Others May Zoom"

Pylon

Quote from: Eclipse on October 30, 2008, 05:52:40 PM
You're talking about server access for hundreds of units, other echelons, special activities and similar.

Thousands of accounts, access rights,

Don't we already have a system set-up with WSAs managing user permissions for a certain type of CAP online account, and also designating automatic permissions of certain things for commanders and other duty assignments at each echelon?  What makes you think it couldn't be build into the existing structure so efficiently managed by our volunteers at present date?

Quotetrouble shooting bad code,

Not an issue when it's WYSIWYG CMS that only allows plain text entries into the management interface, automatically resizes photo uploads, etc.  Not as expensive as you think, either.  I got a custom CMS for our company's site and it was well within reason.

Quoteand probably policing content.

Again, why should shifting the hosting from private to provided make it any different than now?  NHQ doesn't monitor compliance, content, etc. on unit sites.  With a sufficiently narrow template that allows units to enter events, news stories, photos and staff member names there isn't much possibility to enter inappropriate content.   As it is with everything else we do, the onus rests on the commander at that echelon to "get it right" whether it's a website, a media release, a squadron flyer or a news interview.

Quote from: Eclipse on October 30, 2008, 05:52:40 PMThis is not something that could be rolled out or supported on a part-time basis.

Developing?  No; I'd recommend private development for the template and system.  Maintenance?  Yes, it can be supported on a part-time basis.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Major Carrales

But as Maj Carrales has pointed out several times, there's no sense in putting together anything at the national level for this sort of stuff because units are the only echelon that does things and national-level strategery couldn't possibly help the units carry out their missions.   ;)

Cheapshots by the wayside, I have long called for a unified form in cyber space.   My unit has little resources for webpages, thus, we are stuck with freeservers and the like.

We work together in a communitarian spirit to accomplish our missions, goals et al, this means saving up for the essentials (cadet uniforms, getting people to trainings, outfitting our facility).
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

FlexCoder

With new technology, handling a large array of accounts & policing content is not a problem.   Plus, it's time the CAP IT's earn their 'pay' and that badge they wear and learn how to properly moderate a large site & system.    There are a lot of new community builder systems far better than joomla that would accommodate large complex organizations with minimal work.   Joomla is very limited and not secure.  It is always tedious and time consuming during the install and setup but once that is done, it is very easy to maintain.  Some are free and many cost money but if a National IT acts in a nice, professional manner and connects with the right people, we may be able to get it for free or at a substantial discount too.   And hosting is free through Google's new hosting service (ideal for squadrons) and many large hosting companies would consider donating dedicated server's to CAP as well.   It only takes the effort and willing to ask.  Just about anything a CAP member needs or wants can be donated or bought below cost if you do your research and handle it according to CAP regs.   And Eclipse, since your a hardcore ground team guy, there is a lot of cool technology available today utilizing new types of codes that ease the mission considerably  (similar to what you see in Hollywood with voice recognition & touch screen capability).   

It would be ideal to pool all the top coders, developers, database, security, graphics members in CAP (not IT badge holders exclusively)  and build, develop a system specifically geared towards CAP or develop an existing system that works for CAP needs but this team would require coordination, organization, control & direction by National.  It is time that CAP organizes a nationwide IT program with some of the best minds and ideas, from Cadets to Seniors, Male & Female.    And an annual National IT Academy would most likely evolve from the IT program later too.

Why only do websites for the units, let's have have useful add-on's such as an online Medals/Rank/Advancement Member Tracker, Recognition/Promotion Notices, Planners, Field Chat, Maps, Archer Feeds, SAR software, Widgets, etc that would be securely connected to the CAP network.   Most anything is possible.    SAR add-on's would be useful out in the field whether your on GT, in the Air and mission support plus you'd be able to read the latest news on the site if you so desired.  A well thought out & researched plan is needed for this project but at the National level with units feedback and involvement before any new system is built.  And you may wonder, how is CAP going to pay for it all, well, you'd be surprised, it's all in who you know and most of this project can be done for free by outside developers or in-house CAP developers or outsourced overseas.  It would be ideal to be equal, better or compatible with technology in regard to FEMA too.   

If most in CAP are content with the current website system and don't see any benefits, no need to elaborate on any of this any more...besides, the BSA has an interest

Eclipse

Quote from: FlexCoder on October 30, 2008, 09:16:03 PMMost anything is possible.

Yes, it is, however much less is actually feasible, and even less still will catch anyone's attention long enough to be of value.

Rather than continue to discuss what might be done - build it, apparently you believe they will come.

As someone who has been trying to get a handful of unit CC's to update an online calendar for
about 5 years, with little success, I wish you all the luck in the world, you'll need it.

"That Others May Zoom"