Pointer Practice Beacon Battery Holder

Started by Robborsari, February 19, 2018, 03:47:43 AM

Robborsari

Hi.  I created a simple 3d printed battery holder for the Pointer style ELT Practice Beacon.  I have always had to build batteries for these and wanted a faster way to get the C-batteries to fit.  The 3d print files are located at: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2798927
Lt Col Rob Borsari<br  / Wing DO
SER-TN-087

Live2Learn

Quote from: Robborsari on February 19, 2018, 03:47:43 AM
Hi.  I created a simple 3d printed battery holder for the Pointer style ELT Practice Beacon.  I have always had to build batteries for these and wanted a faster way to get the C-batteries to fit.  The 3d print files are located at: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2798927

Now THIS is "COOL"! 

We really need a forum for nifty tech ideas! 

SarDragon

I just run two additional wires out the side, add a new connector and some sealant at the hole(s), and use RC car batteries. Add some Velcro hook to the unit, pile to the battery, and just stick it on the side. The batteries are the proper voltage, cheaper, rechargeable, and more easily replaced.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

BoxGranch

Quote from: SarDragon on February 20, 2018, 07:02:36 AM
I just run two additional wires out the side, add a new connector and some sealant at the hole(s), and use RC car batteries. Add some Velcro hook to the unit, pile to the battery, and just stick it on the side. The batteries are the proper voltage, cheaper, rechargeable, and more easily replaced.

That sounds familiar! The Mate-n-Lock connectors were a pain to find in a buyable quantity, but eventually Mouser founds some, bless them. I ran the lead to Power Poles glued to the case and then got a Tamiya jumper that I put Power Poles on and Voila.

SarDragon

I don't think I even used locking connectors. With the battery Velcro'd to the case, there's really no stress on the connector. I went to a local electronics supply house, got a package of connector sets that matched the battery connectors, and went to town on the conversion. My supply is buried right now, so can't check.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret