Main Menu

User Avatars

Started by Ghetto_Smurf, February 15, 2005, 09:45:07 PM

Ghetto_Smurf

Anyone know why custom avatars don't work...or for that matter, any avatars?

Pylon

The Avatars show up on your Profile page, to the right of your profile.

In the interest of keeping the forum pages clutter free, load-times down, and bandwidth costs low we've opted to not have the avatars shown on each post.

In the future, we may consider giving users the option to see avatars with each post, but we'll have to evaluate the impact on bandwidth first.

However, your avatar still shows up on your profile page.

Let me take this opportunity to also say that avatars will be kept appropriate.  By appropriate I mean PG or PG-13 rating max.  Many users, however, are selecting a small pic of themselves for their avatar, as it compliments their profile page well.  :)

Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Ghetto_Smurf

hmm...I suggest show avatars on all posts
spices up the forum some
bandwidth? mehs

Schmidty06

BTW, the propper grade abbreviation for you could be C/TSgt Dan Long

Ghetto_Smurf

*(not caring about the abbriation, he starts to headbang)*

HGjunkie

How do you upload an avatar?
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

davidsinn

Quote from: HGjunkie on September 07, 2010, 12:53:29 AM

It doesn't matter because they are turned off.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Pylon

Quote from: davidsinn on September 07, 2010, 12:54:08 AM

Not entirely true.  Avatars are enabled and show on your profile page -- just not on every post you make.

You can upload or change yours here:  http://captalk.net/index.php?action=profile;area=forumprofile

HGjunkie

Quote from: Pylon on September 07, 2010, 03:48:59 AM
Quote from: davidsinn on September 07, 2010, 12:54:08 AM

Not entirely true.  Avatars are enabled and show on your profile page -- just not on every post you make.

You can upload or change yours here:  http://captalk.net/index.php?action=profile;area=forumprofile
I click the bubble to upload an avatar, but I can't find anything that suggests where to upload.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Pylon

You should see what is shown in the screenshot below.  If you don't see a "Choose File" or "Browse" button or something similar to the right, then try from a different browser.

RVT

Quote from: Pylon on September 08, 2010, 12:30:55 AMYou should see what is shown in the screenshot below.  If you don't see a "Choose File" or "Browse" button or something similar to the right, then try from a different browser.

I also do not get "choose avatar from gallery", and when I select "upload" there is nowhere to select a file.

I have IE, Opera, Firefox, Safari & Chrome.  Same thing on all of them

Senior

:-\ Does it matter if an avatar could be used if the person is just a guest
with no profile?  I think the user name  Ghetto Smurf would not have been my first choice for the world to see. ??? :o

Майор Хаткевич

Options don't work for me either. I also don't see the "Coose avatar from gallery" option.

But then again, ever since the update some 9 or so months ago I also see this at the top of my pages:

"CAP Talk  |  Recent Unread Topics
CAP Talk  |  Recent Unread Topics"

Pylon

Hm. For now, try uploading it to a free host like Imageshack, grabbing the URL of the image, and using the URL option on the avatar page.

RVT

Quote from: Pylon on September 08, 2010, 01:17:39 AM
Hm. For now, try uploading it to a free host like Imageshack, grabbing the URL of the image, and using the URL option on the avatar page.
Except it never asks you for the URL

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Dwight J. Dutton on September 08, 2010, 03:08:39 AM
Quote from: Pylon on September 08, 2010, 01:17:39 AM
Except it never asks you for the URL

^^^

Pylon

Hmm.  Must be a permissions setting inconsistency.  Just tried resetting user permissions; try again and see if either method works now.

whatevah

tweaked a couple things, you should be able to link to one, now.  direct upload is enabled after 100 posts.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

HGjunkie

Thanks! It's working for me now.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

RVT

Quote from: whatevah on September 08, 2010, 07:43:39 AM
tweaked a couple things, you should be able to link to one, now.  direct upload is enabled after 100 posts.

After how many???  >:D

HGjunkie

Quote from: Dwight J. Dutton on September 08, 2010, 11:32:08 PM

I didn't get it at first, but after seeing you have 99 posts I cracked up. ;D
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Pylon

Quote from: Dwight J. Dutton on September 08, 2010, 11:32:08 PM

Except that posts here in Forum Support do not contribute to your post count.  D'oh!   >:D

DakRadz

:clap:
Well played, my good Admin, well played!

It's not fluff if it doesn't pad the post count, right? ^_^