Main Menu

Short Safety Briefing Ideas

Started by holmes9139, March 14, 2016, 06:17:33 PM

holmes9139

I am currently the new Safety NCO at my squadron and in the beginning of every meeting, I am supposed to give a 1-2 minutes safety briefing about any safety topic such as warm weather, lymes and ticks, etc. Any ideas for a topic? Thanks!

Garibaldi

Quote from: holmes9139 on March 14, 2016, 06:17:33 PM
I am currently the new Safety NCO at my squadron and in the beginning of every meeting, I am supposed to give a 1-2 minutes safety briefing about any safety topic such as warm weather, lymes and ticks, etc. Any ideas for a topic? Thanks!

What area in the country are you located? You can give some general safety tips about how to keep healthy during summer, how to avoid heat related injuries and how to treat them. Also, identifying natural hazards like bugs, spiders, snakes, and so on. You can also look at the safety topics in the LMS safety modules.

In my unit, we usually make some of the general ES topics, such as the ones mentioned above, as part of the regular "new guy"training, something they can use in CAP as well as in real life. Hot and cold weather injuries and how to treat them. Proper hydration is always a hot topic, especially during spring and summer months and in the week leading up to PT. Anything really that the cadets and seniors can use in their every day lives.

Good luck!
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

THRAWN

Iowa Wing used to have a great SE manual that had all kinds of briefs in it. Might want to put the arm out to them and see if they have a copy they can email you.

If I remember right, there are a bunch of topics right in SMS on eServices as well.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Angus

I agree with THRAWN, see if you can find the old SE manual, there also used to be one that National put out that had helped me when I started out a Safety Officer.  One thing I'd also suggest is that if you only have 1-2 minutes per meeting maybe make those safety briefs relevant to what your unit is going to be doing that day.  So say it's CPFT, talk about current weather for while you're outside, keep hydrated, etc.  Good luck with your new position.
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

Capt_Redfox30

Here is the Iowa Wing Manual, its over 15 years old but still some good starting points for topics. 
Kirk Thirtyacre, Lt Col, CAP
(Acting) Group Commander
Group 3 HQ

THRAWN

Thanks. I think I had an older version. On paper. Like a luddite...
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: Member Who on March 14, 2016, 07:40:23 PM
I agree with THRAWN, see if you can find the old SE manual, there also used to be one that National put out that had helped me when I started out a Safety Officer.  One thing I'd also suggest is that if you only have 1-2 minutes per meeting maybe make those safety briefs relevant to what your unit is going to be doing that day.  So say it's CPFT, talk about current weather for while you're outside, keep hydrated, etc.  Good luck with your new position.
Great plan; we've been doing that for a while, and for an activity-based work.
Good luck...and remember to enjoy!

Thonawit

When I need an idea for a "Quick" safety briefing I take a look at http://safetytoolboxtopics.com/, great starting point for briefing ideas.
Regularly contradicts, contradicted CAP Regulations...

Eclipse

Read the monthly Safety Briefing from NHQ, take one mishap, and discuss the "how it got there, and the how to prevent it in the future".

In all cases make sure you are tailoring to your audience, not your personal interest. 

"That Others May Zoom"