Cadets participating in aerospace engineering competitions?

Started by Cadet Dan, July 11, 2011, 03:26:23 PM

Cadet Dan

Last year, I participated in an aerospace engineering competition through my school called the Real World Design Challenge.
The challenge issued last year was to design and optimize the efficiency of an airfoil for a Boeing 737 traveling at .7 MACH at 36,000 ft. , using industry CAD ( Computer Aided Design ) and analysis programs.  This was no easy task, to say the least. More info @ ---(http://www.realworlddesignchallenge.org/)

While at the national competition, I ran into another cadet that I had met several months earlier. ( Small world eh? ) That got me thinking- Could CAP officially field teams at competitions such as this? Or if not, would there be any interest in a CAP specific aerospace engineering competition to compliment CAP's engineering NCSAs?

--Just a bit of food for thought. Also, if you're into this kind of thing I suggest you check it out. A good place to flex your leadership and AE knowledge muscles.

Eclipse

Quote from: Cadet Dan on July 11, 2011, 03:26:23 PMCould CAP officially field teams at competitions such as this?
That would be up to the sponsors of the activity.

Quote from: Cadet Dan on July 11, 2011, 03:26:23 PMOr if not, would there be any interest in a CAP specific aerospace engineering competition to compliment CAP's engineering NCSAs?
My suspicion would be that you would get a lot of seniors all excited about how awesome this would be for the cadets, and mostly crickets
from the cadets.  First, it sounds like the entry point is pretty high - CAD, advanced aerodynamics, etc., and second, what we hear a lot these
days is that CAP has become too academic.   I don't necessarily agree with that, but such is the voice of the average CAP adolescent these days.

Like anything else, with the right top-down support, marketing, and a fundamental message of why this is important to the average cadet, you might
be able to get some interest, but it'll be an uphill climb.

"That Others May Zoom"

coudano

Probably similar to cyber patriot teams,
you'll find small groups of niche people who will be interested in that.
but probably not something that the majority of cadets are going to be into.

If you get get a group together, then go for it!!!
good luck!