Main Menu

ORMS - Year End Inventory

Started by Joe, December 21, 2019, 06:43:51 PM

Joe

I am a Group LG.
What are potential ramifications to subordinate Group units that fail to complete/close annual inventory on time?

JW

Eclipse

They turn it in late.

Other then that, not much unless you want to start getting involved with LORs and disciplinary action.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

In CAWG, the unit can be placed on Logistics Hold.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

Quote from: SarDragon on December 21, 2019, 07:32:03 PM
In CAWG, the unit can will be placed on Logistics Hold.

FTFY.   >:D

And I've seen Groups placed on Logistics Hold because one or more of their Squadrons was more then a month late.
Of course this is because the Group being late caused the Wing to be late and Region is beating them up about it.
BTDT

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

Quote from: Eclipse on December 21, 2019, 09:34:43 PM

So what?
In CO, we've had units suspended for not completing the inventory on time. Very few units will need more than 15-20 minutes to complete their inventories.

PHall

Quote from: arajca on December 21, 2019, 11:09:06 PM

So what?
In CO, we've had units suspended for not completing the inventory on time. Very few units will need more than 15-20 minutes to complete their inventories.

It's been my experience that many late inventories are because the unit is missing something and they don't want to blamed for losing it.
Reports of Survey are not that hard to complete, especially when the current value of the item is $0.

Eclipse

Quote from: arajca on December 21, 2019, 11:09:06 PM

So what?

And I reply again with "so what"?

A unit staff incapable of completing simple tasks on time needs to be relieved,
but of course CAP can't do that because then the room is empty and the unit shuts down, so the
pretense of "ramifications" continue and just makes everyone less interested in participating.

SUIs are the same deal - a unit ignores the emails and other reminders and directives for two years,
but "shutting them down" (meaning all they can do is work towards the SUIs) will somehow incentivize
the staff  to "get 'er done"?  Not likely.

A few years ago we had leadership who decided that a unit on SUI freeze meant its members were barred
from any participation outside the unit as well.

"That'll get things done!"

Except...

It was pointed out that with the circular triple-assigned nature of CAP members, you were gonna turn
off a bunch of major activities, probably tank an eval, and then there were the tactical assault moms
who got wind the money they spent for an encampment and NCSA was going to be forfeit.

That ended quickly with the exception train, negating the intention.

Too many wings turn the last quarter of the year into the Civil Inventory Patrol, as if that was a mission.

Yes, an inventory takes 20 minutes, unless you expect the member to drive an hour both ways to show it to you
in your hand.

And lets also not forget that many functions, such as equipment disposal, can only be done by NHQ.
What's your choice then?

I was involved in a situation where a broken copier was accidentally indicated as "FOB", except
not only wasn't it, but they didn't meet on a base, and it literally never worked, and they threw it out.
(Everyone who understands what FOB means just puckered a little).

Did Wing/Region/NHQ say "whoops, don't do that again, click, done"? No, they wanted the Unit CC
who inherited the problem years later to cough up $600 and threatened his membership.
Retention?  Humbug.

And those ROS'?   We had one for a $6 power adapter that was inexplicably inventoried, and I was
the investigator for a missing 30 year old TYPEWRITER that required a Warren Commission level
report and sat open for over two years.

This is another situation where NHQ reaps what is sews because the process is more important then the mission.

The only fix is to reduce the process to something reasonable for volunteers, and actually train people before they
get to have jobs, instead of throwing them in the pool and then grounding them when they lay on the bottom drowning.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Quote from: Eclipse on December 22, 2019, 12:37:10 AM
And those ROS'?   We had one for a $6 power adapter that was inexplicably inventoried, and I was
the investigator for a missing 30 year old TYPEWRITER that required a Warren Commission level

When was this? When Clinton was in office?

We literally ROS'd a couple radios and a power supply 30 days ago.  They were disposed of the next day. *Gone*. 24 hrs from submission to oblivion.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

Quote from: NIN on December 28, 2019, 05:20:02 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on December 22, 2019, 12:37:10 AM

When was this? When Clinton was in office?

We literally ROS'd a couple radios and a power supply 30 days ago.  They were disposed of the next day. *Gone*. 24 hrs from submission to oblivion.

Hillary? Yes.

You confuse "process is simple as defined" with "no one interjects their own happy fun time" and / or "no process is efficient enough
to negate being ignored".  Turning an ROS over in 24 hours all the way to NHQ?  That is not typical.

You'll understand someday if you ever get a command of your own...

"That Others May Zoom"

Luis R. Ramos

A command of his own? You mean... like a Wing command?
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Eclipse

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on December 28, 2019, 06:27:06 PM
A command of his own? You mean... like a Wing command?

Yeah, like THAT would ever happen.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Quote from: Eclipse on December 28, 2019, 06:20:03 PM
You confuse "process is simple as defined" with "no one interjects their own happy fun time" and / or "no process is efficient enough
to negate being ignored".  Turning an ROS over in 24 hours all the way to NHQ?  That is not typical.

You'll understand someday if you ever get a command of your own...

I love it. Like I've never been a commander before. LOL.

Now, I'll freely admit there's a disconnect between sq & wing when it comes to surveying gear. But my experience with that is "squadron doesn't communicate to a soul and does a turn in or ROS, and now wing has to scramble around because they didn't see it in the queue for a couple weeks.."

Or my favorite where the squadron wanted to turn something in, they initiated the turn-in first in ORMS and never brought the item to Wing for disposal as instructed.  This piece of gear (an old computer) was hanging out like it was still pending (which it was). Inventory comes around, Wing says "Hey, sq, where's that computer you wanted to turn in that you never brought here?"

Squadron says "We took it to the electronics recycling at Staples after we turned it in on ORMS."

DOOH.

But in my world, a normal ROS should take 7 days or so.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

arajca

Under the current system, retirement and ROS ORMS processes are taking 24-48 hours, unless done on a Fri afternoon. This based on multiple times over the past six months.

Yes, it can take longer, but that's because the unit delays doing things. Units also have a habit of thinking wing knows when they get rid of something when the unit hasn't bothered to tell wing. Or they complain about a retirement not being completed because the unit did not, despite multiple requests, send the turn in documentation to wing.