Uploading attendance into eServices

Started by aweber46, August 12, 2019, 08:26:00 PM

chuckmilam

We started using a bar code reader for attendance this year, and really like it so far.  Helps free up member time from manual entry and encourages the members to bring their ID card. 

GZCP31

For clarification. a few years ago, National had a Safety Down day on Suicide Prevention. While this should be appropriate for most members, we had parents that did not want the 12-14 year olds listening to this as they felt the subject matter was inappropriate for the younger cadets.

One safety brief we had for Seniors only was Wildlife (and livestock) crossing the runway or a road. One of our pilots included pictures of a plane that had impacted and pictures of the deer. The attendees were warned prior to the picture being shown. Both were valid safety briefings for our area as we are in a rural area of the state and this type of situation happens on a regular bases. For the more urban squadrons, it probably would not be something you would cover in a safety briefing.
Former OK Wing DCL/DCA Mid 90s, Rejoined after 17 years out.
Capt. Communications-Master
Squadron Deputy Commander, Emergency Services Training Officer,  Professional Development Officer,  Administration Officer, Personnel Officer, Communications Officer and Aerospace Education Officer, Texas Wing DOU

jeders

Quote from: GZCP31 on December 17, 2019, 04:40:09 PM
For clarification. a few years ago, National had a Safety Down day on Suicide Prevention. While this should be appropriate for most members, we had parents that did not want the 12-14 year olds listening to this as they felt the subject matter was inappropriate for the younger cadets.

Yes, because 12-14 year olds never commit suicide or have other social problems that could have been helped by that briefing.

One safety brief we had for Seniors only was Wildlife (and livestock) crossing the runway or a road. One of our pilots included pictures of a plane that had impacted and pictures of the deer. The attendees were warned prior to the picture being shown. Both were valid safety briefings for our area as we are in a rural area of the state and this type of situation happens on a regular bases. For the more urban squadrons, it probably would not be something you would cover in a safety briefing.

If that briefing is appropriate for the area, then I would argue that it is appropriate for all members and the wiser course of action would be to not show the pictures of the dear.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Eclipse

or...

...just don't show your cool picture you're dying to show.

"That Others May Zoom"

Blanding

One of our pilots included pictures of a plane that had impacted and pictures of the deer.

The only parties that need to see photos of the outcome of an airplane accident are medical professionals, accident investigators, law enforcement, and so on.

Showing a photo of a crashed airplane could be "interesting," but it's not educational. Nobody gets in the aircraft and thinks, "Maybe if I hit a deer today, it'll do only a little damage" and, thus, needs education about how much damage it does. Spend the time educating me about how to mitigate the risk, and voila - it's an appropriate brief for all ages.

TheSkyHornet

BLUF:
If you feel that you need two separate monthly SE briefs, then conduct them.

I don't know why a topic on the Attendance Log turned into a topic on conducting safety duties.

SarDragon

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on December 17, 2019, 07:55:24 PM
BLUF:

I don't know why a topic on the Attendance Log turned into a topic on conducting safety duties.
The question came up about combined entry of attendance and safety.

Sent using Tapatalk

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Shawn W.

Quote from: Eclipse on August 12, 2019, 08:41:29 PM
There is an attendance module specifically intended for tracking meeting and activity attendence which then cross references
that attendance into the eServices personnel file.

Lat I checked, that module is only available to members appointed as Commander and Personnel Officer and cannot be delegated.

My Deputy for Cadets and My Deputy for Seniors both have access to the attendance log module. I routinely delegate that task to either of them.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: SarDragon on December 17, 2019, 11:51:35 PM
Quote from: TheSkyHornet on December 17, 2019, 07:55:24 PM
BLUF:

The question came up about combined entry of attendance and safety.

Right, but I think we settled the fact that these are two separate recording systems and for a reason. The conversation has severely strayed into how to conduct Safety Education.

Quote from: Shawn W. on December 18, 2019, 12:32:11 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on August 12, 2019, 08:41:29 PM
There is an attendance module specifically intended for tracking meeting and activity attendence which then cross references
that attendance into the eServices personnel file.

Lat I checked, that module is only available to members appointed as Commander and Personnel Officer and cannot be delegated.

My Deputy for Cadets and My Deputy for Seniors both have access to the attendance log module. I routinely delegate that task to either of them.

As a CDC, I frequently log attendance for cadet activities.