Main Menu

Ebay power supply cover

Started by arajca, July 27, 2018, 10:46:31 PM

arajca

A few months ago I picked up a 3d printer. One of my planned prints was a modification for a 480w (40 amp) power supply I had from Ebay. After several attempts, I came up with this:

As you can see, I used standard automotive fuses (common and inexpensive) and power pole connectors. The power cord socket contains a built in fuse. I think I spent $15 for all the parts and print job took 14 hours. Took me about an hour to assemble it.

If you are interested in one and have a 3d printer, you can download the files from Thingiverse.

Oregon

Very cool!  Is the PS you used still available?  Where did you procure the other parts?

arajca

As far as I know, it still is.

Volt meter: E-Bay
Fuse holder: E-Bay
Power Pole Connectors: Power Werx
Plug: E-bay
Power supply: E-Bay (once again)
Connectors for fuse holders and plug: E-Bay These connectors are narrower than the 1/4" spade connectors found in most hardware and auto parts stores

Connectors to power supply, local hardware store.

Oregon

Have you done any testing with the PS on a radio?  I have an old comm guy who screams about using switching power supplies for radios as they put a buzz or hum onto the transmitted signal.  My experience with modern switching power supplies is that they put out really clean power, but I have not had time to hook them up to a radio and experiment yet.

Larry Mangum

What is the size of the case? I have a 3D printer, but I cannot print anything bigger than 15cm x 15cm x 15cm.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

arajca

I've used it on VHF and HF with no problems.

arajca

Quote from: Larry Mangum on July 31, 2018, 12:52:39 PM
What is the size of the case? I have a 3D printer, but I cannot print anything bigger than 15cm x 15cm x 15cm.
It's about 120mm x 140mm x 50mm

audiododd

This is a neat idea.  I may have to save this for a later project. 
Dodd Martin, MSgt, CAP
MSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Squadron NCO
Safety/Comm/Admin/Personnel/IT
TMP - MO - MS - MRO - MSO