So if I was going to rebrand, I'd use a Better Logo. Like this one...

Started by shawnebell, July 03, 2022, 06:27:55 PM

shawnebell

CAP New Logo Proposal: The Gyrfalcon Device

Heritage, meaning, and breakdown of design:

The placement of the wings is similar to the WWII "Hap" Arnold wings originally used by the Army Air Corps and is a legacy design to reminds us that we are part of a proud tradition that started as the United States Army Air Corps and continues on today as the United States Air Force. It is similar to - yet completely different from - the current Air Force logo, just as a falcon is different than an eagle. The Civil Air Patrol is, after all, a force multiplier auxiliary of the United States Air Force.

The arrangement of the wings pointed upwards in a "V" symbol also references the "V for Victory" hand gesture of Winston Churchill. The angle of the Gyrfalcon Device's wings is much shallower than the Air Force logo wings are. Why? because the Air Force flies higher than us Civil Air Patrol Cessna guys do, hence the shallow angle of the Gryfalcon wings.

The blue shield held by the Gyrfalcon represents the whole of the earth as a globe, and displays a traditional and historic pimento red Civil Air Patrol Triblade inside a white triangle. The triangle itself stretches to each corner of the globe demonstrating the reach and visibility the Civil Air Patrol has.

The Gyrfalcon wings - represented by three feathers right and three feathers left - represent the cadets of the Civil Air Patrol who are (1) learning to spread their wings and fly; (2) keeping our missions aloft.

The three Gyrfalcon tail feathers represent the Senior pilots and aircrew of Civil Air Patrol, who guide and direct the direction of flight of the Gyrfalcon. Without the stabilizing effect of the tailfeathers, the Gyrfalcon cannot fly; the Seniors provide the stability that allows the Cadets to spread their wings and fly higher, faster, and farther than they could without the guidance Civil Air Patrol's Seniors provide.

The Gyrfalcon Device itself - entitled "Aurora Nova" - is representative of the mascot of the Air Force Academy; the falcon. The Gyrfalcon is the largest of the falcons, and is a hybrid breed - the Air Force Academy has a HUGE and gloriously white one of these raptors in their aviary. I chose the name "Aurora Nova" to represent the longest-lived gyrfalcon at the Air Force Academy (which lived for 25 years) and was named "Aurora" and combined that with the name of the newest gyrfalcon at the Academy named "Nova." Taken together, "Aurora Nova" means "A New Dawn" in Latin, and is representative of the continual improvement and renewal Civil Air Patrol strives for as we find new and better ways to serve.

RangerConlin

Love it.  Has the heritage, a nice nod to the current design, and I love the explanations for it.

arajca

The only issue I see is in the tail feather text. You're excluding the vast majority of senior members by specifying "Senior pilots and aircrew". It's this vast majority that keeps CAP functioning.

RangerConlin

True.  I would change it to just "Senior Members of Civil Air Patrol"

PHall

A "solution" in search of a problem. Your first mistake is believing that we need to rebrand in the first place.

flyboy53

Well, the problem is NHQ probably paid out big and now it's forced on the membership.

And if there is to be a "brand," what a better solution.