C/1st Lt Ranks on Shoulder Boards

Started by CorsairPilot, January 17, 2022, 06:16:26 PM

CorsairPilot

I don't know if this is the right place to put this, but I have a question about the way C/1st Lt ranks go on the shoulder boards for Class A blues. Are the two pips supposed to conform to the shoulder board, or do they remain flat? Thank you,

Capt Thompson

They remain flat, the shoulder boards have a slight curve but not really enough where this should look bad.
Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

SarDragon

I have seen many instances where they have been gently curved to match the profile of the shoulder boards. Emphasis on gently.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

N6RVT

Quote from: CorsairPilot on January 17, 2022, 06:16:26 PMI don't know if this is the right place to put this, but I have a question about the way C/1st Lt ranks go on the shoulder boards for Class A blues. Are the two pips supposed to conform to the shoulder board, or do they remain flat? Thank you,

I bent mine to sit flat on the board.  1LT is as far as I got, so I never tried doing it with three.

JohhnyD

Quote from: Dwight Dutton on January 17, 2022, 08:43:38 PM
Quote from: CorsairPilot on January 17, 2022, 06:16:26 PMI don't know if this is the right place to put this, but I have a question about the way C/1st Lt ranks go on the shoulder boards for Class A blues. Are the two pips supposed to conform to the shoulder board, or do they remain flat? Thank you,

I bent mine to sit flat on the board.  1LT is as far as I got, so I never tried doing it with three.
When I was a cadet in PCR-CA-138 I gently conformed all ranks except full colonel to the shoulder boards...that my older brother gave me from his time as a cadet officer. I love that the shoulder boards have remained the very same through the generations.

Anyone know the history and starting date of them?

SarDragon

Don't know the history but they were introduced in 1964.

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JohhnyD

Quote from: SarDragon on January 18, 2022, 05:38:39 AMDon't know the history but they were introduced in 1964.

Makes sense, my brother's Mitchell was 1966.

Capt Thompson

I actually never really liked the look of them, I always thought they were out of place on the service coat. Then again, I was also in JROTC at the time and we pinned metal rank directly to the epaulette, so I was probably somewhat biased. I still have mine with C/Capt pinned through them, just double checked and they aren't bent to match the board but they don't look bad. They are from before they gave you velcro for them, so I have a pair of blue Cadet Officer epaulettes sewn to the bottom of each so they could fit on an officer's service coat.
Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

Toad1168

The regs don't state one way or the other. I always curved mine.  They look weird (IMO) when sitting flat against the curve of the shoulder board, especially at C/Capt or C/Col.
Toad