Shuttle Run Moratorium

Started by Майор Хаткевич, July 30, 2015, 10:00:26 PM

PHall

Quote from: Alaric on November 05, 2015, 05:14:12 PM
Quote from: jeders on November 05, 2015, 03:49:23 PM
Quote from: THRAWN on November 05, 2015, 02:08:47 PM
Out of the hundreds of kids that I've coached and the hundreds of times that I've done this type of test myself, I've never seen a sprain/"tore up ankle", etc. Ever. In over 30 years of doing this. This includes my time in CAP where I have seen exactly zero cadets injured during a PFT.

Are you doing the test in a narrow hallway? Maybe a slick surface? My guess is no, because you appear, from comments you have made here, to have training that allows you to know how to safely conduct the shuttle run. However, there are a number of well intentioned CP officers around the country who either do not have experience administering physical fitness tests or who are simply trying to get a job done in non-ideal situations.

As for me, I have seen cadets injured doing the PFT. One slipped while turning for the shuttle run, another tripped over a curb while running backwards on the mile run, others have simply tripped over their own feet.

Then perhaps the solution is proper training rather then banning the test?  I would just like to see the actual numbers, is there a database?

I'm sure the Safety folks have the data. You might be able to access it through the Safety portal on the National website.

jeders

Or read through prior issues of the Safety Beacon, I know they have reports of cadets getting injured doing PT.

Quote from: November Safety BeaconSince the moratorium on the Shuttle run began earlier this summer, I'm pleased to say that the number of injuries to cadets during CPFT has dropped dramatically.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

THRAWN

Quote from: jeders on November 05, 2015, 08:50:49 PM
Or read through prior issues of the Safety Beacon, I know they have reports of cadets getting injured doing PT.

Quote from: November Safety BeaconSince the moratorium on the Shuttle run began earlier this summer, I'm pleased to say that the number of injuries to cadets during CPFT has dropped dramatically.

There is a simpler way. Not sure that anyone has time for that...
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

THRAWN

Actually, looking over some of the EOM closeouts, it looks like the shuttle is one of the safer physical activities that are being conducted....yowza...
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023