Main Menu

P25 / Project-25

Started by CAP.is.1337, April 26, 2009, 10:05:35 PM

CAP.is.1337

I tried it out for the first time last night on the Ham band, and it was extremely cool! ;D

How many of y'all use P25 for CAP? I remember it as one of the big things a few years ago, but now it seems like there's been no new emphasis to work with it for a while. Is it just that the effort to move to the new freqs is taking up more headlines, so to speak?
1st Lt Anthony Rinaldi
Byrd Field Composite Squadron – Virginia Wing

Earhart Award: 14753
Mitchell Award: 55897
Wright Bros Award: 3634

maverik

please tell people what the P-25 is. Also I know it is extremely cool that's why all the expensive radios have them. :clap:
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT
"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking." Ferdinand Foch at the Battle of the Marne

CAP.is.1337

Quote from: SARADDICT on April 26, 2009, 10:16:04 PM
please tell people what the P-25 is. Also I know it is extremely cool that's why all the expensive radios have them. :clap:

I'm helping teach an ACUT class at my squadron, and I'm definatly going to be demonstrating P25 there!  ;D
1st Lt Anthony Rinaldi

wuzafuzz

Quote from: SARADDICT on April 26, 2009, 10:16:04 PM

All you ever wanted to know about P25:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_25

All it really means for CAP so far is that we'll have the option of digital modulation in addition to narrowband analog.  That's assuming I have good info and understood it correctly.  I've also heard the Air Force has directed we eventually go all digital and encrypted.  How long that might take, if true, is anyone's guess.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

BTCS1*

On the subject of digital Ham, CAP should adopt APRS sor those who are licensed to use, it would help in keeping track of ground recources, getting text status reports, and having all that info be available at longer range than the average CAP HT.
C/2d Lt. B. Garelick, CAP

♠SARKID♠

Problem one kiddo, Ham is off limits to CAP*.  Problem two kiddo, APRS is a digital mode, and digital modes aren't authorized (P-25 exempt).

*speaking in the general sense, and as pertinent to the topic

CAP.is.1337

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on April 27, 2009, 08:07:12 AM
Problem one kiddo, Ham is off limits to CAP*.  Problem two kiddo, APRS is a digital mode, and digital modes aren't authorized (P-25 exempt).

IIRC, any non-P25 digital mode must have prior approval from National before they can be used. I can't check my manual right now, but thats what I remember.

Its a real shame, too. APRS would be a great tool in our comms/ES arsenal.
1st Lt Anthony Rinaldi

tribalelder

was used by at least 2 wings in early 90's-Arizona and Illinois.  Illinois had 5 watt vhf HT's with the GPS and the interface box in a small plastic toolbox in the cargo area of C-172's.  A base station could track and display where the planes were on a computer screen. At the time, cost, including the toolbox, was about $300/plane. 

I have it on good authority this prevented at least one episode of 'bumper planes'.
WE ARE HERE ON CAPTALK BECAUSE WE ALL CARE ABOUT THE PROGRAM. We may not always agree and we should not always agree.  One of our strengths as an organization is that we didn't all go to the same school, so we all know how to do something different and differently. 
Since we all care about CAP, its members and our missions, sometimes our discussions will be animated, but they should always civil -- after all, it's in our name.

BTCS1*

Quote from: CAP.is.1337 on April 27, 2009, 08:47:10 AM
Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on April 27, 2009, 08:07:12 AM

IIRC, any non-P25 digital mode must have prior approval from National before they can be used. I can't check my manual right now, but thats what I remember.

Its a real shame, too. APRS would be a great tool in our comms/ES arsenal.
I recently saw an ARES demonstration regarding APRS in NY, it pointed out situations that would perfectly suit CAP, and has been tested in ARES functions. Keep in mind that ARES sets up its organization with NIMS.
-KC2ULR-

BTCS1*

It was also used during katrina