Main Menu

Radio Proramming

Started by Angus, February 24, 2009, 08:03:46 PM

Angus

I just won a Motorola Astro Saber on eBay for a good price.  I get the radio a rapid charger and a belt clip.  Unfortunately there's nothing to program it with.  I checked with a comms guy at my Wing HQ and he said they've got nothing.  Does anyone have the Saber or know how to proram it?  Thanks.
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

Eclipse

You'll need a special cable and (likley) very expensive proprietary software.

Here's info on the cable:  http://www.batlabs.com/astrosab.html

Assuming you're intending this to be used in CAP, it'll have to be certified by a Wing-approved technician before it can be licensed, and in many cases these same tech-types have these cables.

Otherwise, in some states there are services approved by the Wing to do this.  A quick check on eBay shows there are a few guys doing it there for a fee - the same caveat regarding approval applies as the channel and tone information is FOUO, so therefore not posted publicly.

Service companies that do work on CAP equipment have to sign the same NDA's we do regarding channel information.

"That Others May Zoom"

Slim

Another possibility is to check with a local ANG comm squadron, if you're local to a base and have a good working relationship with someone.  Lots of AF units are using that model, and the comm shop will have the software/cables.  Plus FOUO releases should be a lot easier.

I've been looking for an Astro Saber for the right price myself.  I've always liked the Saber family.  Just for curiosity, is it flashed for P-25 digital operations, or analog only?  Not that it has to be digital capable, but it would be a plus.

Slim

♠SARKID♠

What version of the astro sabre is it?  Should say on a sticker if you pull off the battery.

IceNine

2 places to check.

Check with your local FD.

and if they can't help you your local EMA.

They will likely have the software at a minimum and you can likely pull a programming cable off ebay or other for cheap.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

wuzafuzz

If you want to purchase the Customer Programming Software (CPS) programming software yourself, you can sign up for a Motorola Online (MOL) account.  They will sell to individuals.  Here's the rub: the software currently costs about $270 (give or take a few $$).  The software will program Astro Sabers and XTS3000 radios.  You would also need a ribless programming cable as mentioned previously.

Older radios can also be programmed using Radio Service Software (RSS) which is DOS based. 

Given the software is about as expensive as a typical used Astro Saber Model III, it doesn't seem cost effective.  If you knew of a few friends in the same boat, then it might make sense to split the cost.  It's still cheaper than a shiny new P25 capable radio.  If you simply want narrowband capable, there are cheaper ways to go.

Some other tidbits about the software:

• It's not transferable.  It's a violation of Motorola's tems to sell it to someone else.  If you find a used RSS or CPS on eBay, you are gambling.
  • Once a radio is programmed with the newest version of the software, it cannot be programmed by older software.  Another reason bootleg software is a bad idea.
  • I have heard it can be difficult to use.
  • May not run on Vista.  Check before you buy.
  • If you are dealing with an older radio, you may be stuck with DOS based software.

If you aren't REALLY sure or a good tinkerer, I'd have someone else program it.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

Angus

Luckily I found someone with the same radio just an earlier model who's got all that I need and told me where to go to get the radio programmed.  As soon as the radio comes in and I pick p the stuff I'm getting it programmed.
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030