New Theory in Emergency Locators

Started by BigMojo, September 20, 2007, 02:01:42 AM

BigMojo

I'm new around here, so I'm not sure if this has been discussed here or not yet, but I ran across this on a fishing forum, being discussed as an alternative to EPIRB's.

Supposedly this devise will sell for $149.99 and have a $99.00/yr subscription. It has emergency activation, non-emergency help, real-time tracking by 2nd party, and text message/email updates to friends/family.

Link to company site: http://www.findmespot.com

See attached PDF with specs.

Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Emergency Services Officer
Group 6, Florida Wing

sardak

A independent review of the system is here:
http://www.equipped.org/SPOT_ORSummer2007.htm

It's not operational yet, so some of this may change.

The owner of the "Equipped to Survive" website, Doug Ritter, who does these reviews is sponsored by some manufacturers.  I find his reviews to be generally independent and certainly better than what you'll read in magazines and get from the manufacturers, but keep in mind he's not Consumers Union putting out Consumers Reports.

Mike

isuhawkeye

Hey gang.  I just got my Spot in the mail today.  Ill post some reviews on my web site when I get a chance

BigMojo

Cool...I'll be interested to hear your report!
Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Group 6, Florida Wing

isuhawkeye

A few of you have pinged my reviews of the SPOT.  are there any questions, or observations about this tool.   

wingnut

it uses GLOBALSTAR satellites

The company that CAP has very poor response with SDIS

isuhawkeye

Read the information. 

The SDIS system uses the Duplex side of the satellite system.  The Globalstar duplex system is unreliable, and full of holes. 

The SPOT use the simplex features of the system.

It is really quite interesting. 

BigMojo

Did you/they spring for the "spot casting" feature?  it's an extra $50 a year, but looks like it could be an interesting way to track ground teams...

(For those that aren't versed, there is an optional service that the Spot will automatically broadcast your location every 10min for up to 24 or until you turn it off. W/o this, you need to manually send a "check in" message.)
Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Group 6, Florida Wing

isuhawkeye

Yes the unit has that feature, but I have not played with it much yet.

This unit seams to have several SAR applications

isuhawkeye

SPOT casting is very cool. 
http://isuhawkeye.typepad.com/halbrook_associatescom/2008/05/spot-track.html

I'm sorry to post so many links to my blog.  It's easier for me to post the link.

If you all prefer I can cut and past the articles.  let me know what you think.

sarflyer

This looks like a great system to use as you described but it is cost prohibitive.  If SPOT could come out with a special deal for SAR groups like us they might just sell a bunch of units.
Lt. Col. Paul F. Rowen, CAP
MAWG Director of Information Technology
NESA Webmaster
paul.rowen@mawg.cap.gov

isuhawkeye

As far as I am concerned these units are very reasonably priced. 

For as much as I have used it the year subscription cost is way cheap. 

And the units are only $150.

All in ELT's and PLB's are way more expensive, and not tearly as versitile.

........Listen to me.  I sound like a sales rep. 

I must have found some bad Cool Aid along the trail

Tubacap

That is pretty interesting. What is it's connectivity like?  Does it have a fast start time, and good up-time?

Can you PM me the password to the website?
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

BigMojo

PM me the Password too please...if you don't mind.
Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Group 6, Florida Wing

isuhawkeye

The unit has all of the hang ups of any hand held GPS device.  it takes the same amount of time to get a position as any portable unit. 

as far as paswords go.

I will not post, or pm me a pass word.  please send me an E-Mail with your name, and I will respond with the pasword.

enjoy

isuhawkeye

I spent the day doing some great land navigation training with tech STAR1 team.  We had a blast, and really worked hard.  I have an entire days worth of tracks on the site.  the spot was on almost all day, and clipped to my SAR vest during the field sections.  As you can see it posted pretty regularly.

isuhawkeye

Good to know.

Thanks for the info.