Which necktie knot do you use/prefer in uniform?

Started by jimmydeanno, October 26, 2009, 07:54:51 PM

Which necktie knot do you use/prefer in uniform?

Windsor
Half-Windsor
Small Knot
Four-in-hand
Prince Albert
Clip-On
Other (Please Specify Below)

jimmydeanno

Quote from: SilverEagle2 on October 27, 2009, 05:25:38 PM
All of these ties are too long IMHO. Should hit right at the top edge of the belt buckle/pant top.

That's where I put mine, but, the picture is fine...
Quote from: CAPM 39-1
TIE: Wear with service dress coat or trousers. Tip of tie will be no more than 1 1/2 inch above or below
top of belt buckle.

QuoteStill see no difference between a regular Windsor and an AF Windsor.

Me neither, which was my point initially...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

SilverEagle2

Which is why I denoted it was an opinion. While technically within regulation, looks WAY better to have it the same on all and right at the belt/pant line.

The variance allowed seems to accommodate for those who do not want to take the effort needed to get it right the first time. Again, my opinion only.

I spent too much time around USAFA Cadet inspections I guess.
     Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP
Commander, Rocky Mountain Region

"People are not excellent because they achieve great things;
they achieve great things because they choose to be excellent."
Gerald G. Probst,
Beloved Grandfather, WWII B-24 Pilot, Successful Businessman

C/MSgt Lunsford

Quote from: SilverEagle2 on October 27, 2009, 05:32:46 PM
Quoteit is Regulation to have an AF Windsor

With all due respect Cadet, what makes an AF Windsor different from say a Double Windsor? Your picture does not answer the question.

Double Windsor:

Not really that much of a difference. I was just told to wear an AF Windsor, there is a certain way to tie it and it makes it sharper. Hard to explain.

Wright Brothers #13915

SilverEagle2

Been around AF and CAP my whole life and have never heard of an AF Windsor....curious.
     Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP
Commander, Rocky Mountain Region

"People are not excellent because they achieve great things;
they achieve great things because they choose to be excellent."
Gerald G. Probst,
Beloved Grandfather, WWII B-24 Pilot, Successful Businessman

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: SilverEagle2 on October 27, 2009, 07:16:39 PM
Been around AF and CAP my whole life and have never heard of an AF Windsor....curious.

I'm thinking that's a unit name for the Windsor.  :-\

Hawk200

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on October 27, 2009, 07:27:59 PM
Quote from: SilverEagle2 on October 27, 2009, 07:16:39 PM

I'm thinking that's a unit name for the Windsor.  :-\

And yet another instance of people and units making up crap to be different. When someone in the same organization walks in, and they don't know what people are talking about because someone wants to different, there's a problem.

Does anyone see the irony of people want to dress like a team, yet work so hard to be separate?

MSgt Van

SarDragon

The Double Windsor shown above looks exactly like the full Windsor I use almost exclusively. IMHO, it's either a half or a full Windsor. Any more involved a knot would end up too fat, and make most ties too short.

Lunsford, take a look at some of the videos, and tell us how the AF Windsor differs from them.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

My problem is I have a real neck, and the USAF ties are so skinny that once they are tied they look "80's-piano tie" small on me.  One suggestion was to double-tie it, which I have yet to figure out, and which also makes the tie too short.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on October 28, 2009, 02:32:48 AM
My problem is I have a real neck, and the USAF ties are so skinny that once they are tied they look "80's-piano tie" small on me.  One suggestion was to double-tie it, which I have yet to figure out, and which also makes the tie too short.

Extra long tie anywhere on sale?

ol'fido

Ihave the same problem. I have been thinking about buying two ties and having the local Korean dude cobble them together as one long tie. Don't know if this would work out right. If you put a little extra on the narrow end, any alteration would probably be hidden under the collar or in the knot. I have trouble with shirts and ties anyway. Size 19 1/2 neck. Most shirts that fit the neck well look like a tent on the rest of me and ties want to ride about 2" above the belt.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

esilassy

Sooooo,,,,
Is there a regulation as to what knot we use?  I looked all thru the wonderful 39-1 and could not find anything specific to the type of knot. 

Hawk200

Quote from: esilassy on November 05, 2009, 03:49:29 AM
Sooooo,,,,
Is there a regulation as to what knot we use?  I looked all thru the wonderful 39-1 and could not find anything specific to the type of knot.

Apparently not. Best thing is try to make as presentable a knot as you can. No fancy oddball knots, just a common one.

Easy way around it is a clip-on. I ditched the full ties for clip-ons the day after I got to tech school. Haven't worn a tied one for twenty years.

Hookedonlemons