Which necktie knot do you use/prefer in uniform?

Started by jimmydeanno, October 26, 2009, 07:54:51 PM

Which necktie knot do you use/prefer in uniform?

Windsor
Half-Windsor
Small Knot
Four-in-hand
Prince Albert
Clip-On
Other (Please Specify Below)

jimmydeanno

I'm trying to see what the general consensus/preference is in regards to necktie knots.  I'd also like to know if there is a particular reason you use that one?

If you're female, you can still vote (hence the "prefer" option).

I prefer the Windsor knot, because it is the most formal of tie knots.  I also like that it fills most of the empty space where the shirt collar meets.  In other words, it isn't a weak knot.

If you don't know what kind of knot you use, or want to know how to tie a certain knot, I'd recommend this site: http://www.brooksbrothers.com/tieknots/tieknots.tem

This is just my personal curiosity.  I'm also interested in whether or not there is a traditional knot used in the military services.  Pretty open.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

JoeTomasone

Clip on for a uniform (the less I have to deal with, the better); half-Windsor for business.

Hawk200

In their respecitve uniform manuals, the Army, Navy, Coast Guard, and Public Health Service specify a four in hand. Marine Corps and Air Force regs don't state a specific manner, but the Marine Corps reg allows anything that presents a military appearance.

Still digging on NOAA regs. Techincally, NOAA and PHS are not military, they are uniformed. They both seem to wear a variant of a Navy or Coast Guard uniform.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

ol'fido

If I remember my Ian Fleming right, SMERSH agents use Windsors so members of the "service" should use the Four-in-hand. 8) 8)  7
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Thrashed

My background in law enforcement and current job in an airliner tells me never to wear anything that could be used against you.  A tie can be used to choke you.  I don't wear a tie for CAP.  I wear a clip on as a pilot.  As soon as I enter the cockpit, it comes off.   ;D

Save the triangle thingy

oak2007

I've been meaning to try this one the next time I wear a tie.

Great ! Looks like something out of the 70s. Maybe you can show us how you tie your shoe laces

Hawk200

Quote from: oak2007 on October 27, 2009, 02:49:52 AM

Great ! Looks like something out of the 70s. Maybe you can show us how you tie your shoe laces

??? ??? ???

Jill

This is what happens when you post on another subject matter...what goes around..comes around.

Eclipse

Quote from: Hawk200 on October 27, 2009, 04:21:33 AM
Quote from: oak2007 on October 27, 2009, 02:49:52 AM

??? ??? ???

+1

"That Others May Zoom"

IceNine

Quote from: Eclipse on October 26, 2009, 11:39:21 PM

How to:
http://lifehacker.com/5302460/dress-up-your-ties-with-the-merovingian-knot

Looks much better in use on the video.  The picture here doesn't do this thing any justice.

I think that's my new knot of choice.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

davedove

Quote from: Hawk200 on October 26, 2009, 08:43:24 PM
In their respecitve uniform manuals, the Army, Navy, Coast Guard, and Public Health Service specify a four in hand.

Actually, the Army reg specifies the type of tie (four-in-hand) but the knot has options.

From AR670-1, para 27-19(3)(a):

Personnel may wear the tie in a Windsor, half-Windsor, or four-in-hand knot.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: olefido on October 27, 2009, 01:18:31 AM
If I remember my Ian Fleming right, SMERSH agents use Windsors so members of the "service" should use the Four-in-hand. 8) 8)  7

LOL! But to set the record straight (being the rabid Ian Fleming fan I am): Bond's retort about people wearing Windsor knots was a less-than-subtle jab at the British private school system (Bond (and Fleming) got kicked out of Eton and finished at another school). In the film From Russia With Love, the SMERSH agent gives himself away by ordering red wine with his fish dinner on the Orient Express.

Back to the tie that binds... half Windsor or Windsor will work for me, but four-in-hand will also do in a pinch.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

a2capt

Quote from: IceNine on October 27, 2009, 02:43:37 PM
Looks much better in use on the video.  The picture here doesn't do this thing any justice.

I think that's my new knot of choice.

Heh, a thread on tie knots, lets see how many pages it goes.

As for that knot, I've used that one on a few occasions when I can manage to do it and not make a mess of it. Using the AF tie, it's kinda challenging. Not wide enough to give it that full effect.

C/MSgt Lunsford

Wright Brothers #13915

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Lunsford on October 27, 2009, 04:31:21 PM
I use an Air Force Style Windsor.

What's the difference between that and a regular Windsor?
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

C/MSgt Lunsford

Quote from: jimmydeanno on October 27, 2009, 05:14:34 PM
Quote from: Lunsford on October 27, 2009, 04:31:21 PM
I use an Air Force Style Windsor.

What's the difference between that and a regular Windsor?
It's a little bit more Sharper.

Best Example I could find:

The 3 Male Officers have Air Force Windsor Knots.

Wright Brothers #13915

SilverEagle2

All of these ties are too long IMHO. Should hit right at the top edge of the belt buckle/pant top.

Still see no difference between a regular Windsor and an AF Windsor.

I swear the cadet officer behind the c/Major is a spitting image of what I looked like as a c/Lt Col.
     Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP
Commander, Rocky Mountain Region

"People are not excellent because they achieve great things;
they achieve great things because they choose to be excellent."
Gerald G. Probst,
Beloved Grandfather, WWII B-24 Pilot, Successful Businessman

C/MSgt Lunsford

Quote from: SilverEagle2 on October 27, 2009, 05:25:38 PM
All of these ties are too long IMHO. Should hit right at the top edge of the belt buckle/pant top.

Still see no difference between a regular Windsor and an AF Windsor.

I did notice that their ties are too long  :-\ There is a difference though Sir. In my squadron it is Regulation to have an AF Windsor. If we don't we get a lowered grade on Inspection.

Wright Brothers #13915

SilverEagle2

Quoteit is Regulation to have an AF Windsor

With all due respect Cadet, what makes an AF Windsor different from say a Double Windsor? Your picture does not answer the question.
     Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP

Gerald G. Probst,

jimmydeanno

Quote from: SilverEagle2 on October 27, 2009, 05:25:38 PM

That's where I put mine, but, the picture is fine...
Quote from: CAPM 39-1
TIE: Wear with service dress coat or trousers. Tip of tie will be no more than 1 1/2 inch above or below
top of belt buckle.

QuoteStill see no difference between a regular Windsor and an AF Windsor.

Me neither, which was my point initially...

SilverEagle2

Which is why I denoted it was an opinion. While technically within regulation, looks WAY better to have it the same on all and right at the belt/pant line.

The variance allowed seems to accommodate for those who do not want to take the effort needed to get it right the first time. Again, my opinion only.

I spent too much time around USAFA Cadet inspections I guess.
     Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP

Gerald G. Probst,

C/MSgt Lunsford

Quote from: SilverEagle2 on October 27, 2009, 05:32:46 PM
Quoteit is Regulation to have an AF Windsor

With all due respect Cadet, what makes an AF Windsor different from say a Double Windsor? Your picture does not answer the question.

Double Windsor:

Not really that much of a difference. I was just told to wear an AF Windsor, there is a certain way to tie it and it makes it sharper. Hard to explain.

Wright Brothers #13915

SilverEagle2

Been around AF and CAP my whole life and have never heard of an AF Windsor....curious.
     Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP

Gerald G. Probst,

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: SilverEagle2 on October 27, 2009, 07:16:39 PM
Been around AF and CAP my whole life and have never heard of an AF Windsor....curious.

I'm thinking that's a unit name for the Windsor.  :-\

Hawk200

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on October 27, 2009, 07:27:59 PM
Quote from: SilverEagle2 on October 27, 2009, 07:16:39 PM

I'm thinking that's a unit name for the Windsor.  :-\

And yet another instance of people and units making up crap to be different. When someone in the same organization walks in, and they don't know what people are talking about because someone wants to different, there's a problem.

Does anyone see the irony of people want to dress like a team, yet work so hard to be separate?

MSgt Van

SarDragon

The Double Windsor shown above looks exactly like the full Windsor I use almost exclusively. IMHO, it's either a half or a full Windsor. Any more involved a knot would end up too fat, and make most ties too short.

Lunsford, take a look at some of the videos, and tell us how the AF Windsor differs from them.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

My problem is I have a real neck, and the USAF ties are so skinny that once they are tied they look "80's-piano tie" small on me.  One suggestion was to double-tie it, which I have yet to figure out, and which also makes the tie too short.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on October 28, 2009, 02:32:48 AM
My problem is I have a real neck, and the USAF ties are so skinny that once they are tied they look "80's-piano tie" small on me.  One suggestion was to double-tie it, which I have yet to figure out, and which also makes the tie too short.

Extra long tie anywhere on sale?

ol'fido

Ihave the same problem. I have been thinking about buying two ties and having the local Korean dude cobble them together as one long tie. Don't know if this would work out right. If you put a little extra on the narrow end, any alteration would probably be hidden under the collar or in the knot. I have trouble with shirts and ties anyway. Size 19 1/2 neck. Most shirts that fit the neck well look like a tent on the rest of me and ties want to ride about 2" above the belt.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

esilassy

Sooooo,,,,
Is there a regulation as to what knot we use?  I looked all thru the wonderful 39-1 and could not find anything specific to the type of knot. 

Hawk200

Quote from: esilassy on November 05, 2009, 03:49:29 AM
Sooooo,,,,
Is there a regulation as to what knot we use?  I looked all thru the wonderful 39-1 and could not find anything specific to the type of knot.

Apparently not. Best thing is try to make as presentable a knot as you can. No fancy oddball knots, just a common one.

Easy way around it is a clip-on. I ditched the full ties for clip-ons the day after I got to tech school. Haven't worn a tied one for twenty years.

Hookedonlemons