Plastic encased grade insignia

Started by Rotorhead, January 20, 2009, 03:10:31 AM

DC

I don't think that dark blue sew on rank would look that bad on the flight suit, certainly not any worse than it will look on BDUs..

Who the [heck] came up with purple though, I mean, seriously, purple?!

Hawk200

Quote from: RiverAux on January 29, 2009, 10:18:24 PM
The proposal before the NB next month is for cloth insignia with a purple background apparently. 

Please tell me that's a joke. Or a typo. Or anything that could remotely make it sound like the huge mistake it is.

If not, I think I'm only gonna ever wear blues.

stratoflyer

^ Suddenly plastic encased doesn't seem THAT bad.  :P

"To infinity, and beyond!"

Eduardo Rodriguez, 2LT, CAP

stratoflyer

I know who Jimi Hendrix was ok? And I don't use Google for everything ya know...I opened an encyclopedia a year ago. So HA! Then again, I'm wearing grey epaulets. LOL

Did someone say they went blind from seeing those purples? LOL

Seriously, though. The cost and quality of the plastic encased is no secret. And the PINA that comes with it sewing it own (I didn't know they have plastic thread for needles, its transparent, and that's thanks to my aunt who showed me.)

So essentially, I'm up for whatever is cloth on the "flight dress uniform."

My biggest complaint is Why do we have to look so different still. Army cadets, sea cadets, JROTC units all wear stuff with only minor differences in insignia. Why are we still being treated by a 40-ft pole when it comes to uniforms?

And let the firing begin....

Eclipse

Quote from: stratoflyer on January 30, 2009, 05:28:30 AM
My biggest complaint is Why do we have to look so different still. Army cadets, sea cadets, JROTC units all wear stuff with only minor differences in insignia. Why are we still being treated by a 40-ft pole when it comes to uniforms?

For one reason, none of those organizations have an operational role outside of their cadet programs, so there is little to no chance that a Sea Cadet will be mistaken for an active duty sailor in any environment where it would make a difference.

Unlike CAP, where it is not unheard of to be standing next to, or even be in authority over, military assets in operational situations.

"That Others May Zoom"

stratoflyer

^Ok. That makes A LOT of sense. That was the best explanation I've heard to date. Now I'm satisfied.

Bring on the purple!

JayT

Quote from: stratoflyer on January 30, 2009, 05:28:30 AMMy biggest complaint is Why do we have to look so different still. Army cadets, sea cadets, JROTC units all wear stuff with only minor differences in insignia. Why are we still being treated by a 40-ft pole when it comes to uniforms?

And let the firing begin....

Well, I kinda have to disagree.

JROTC insignia is as least as different from the AF as our's is, plus depending on the Detachment SASI, there could e two or three different times of Cadet Officers insignia for just the service jacket.

Also, if you've ever seen AFJROTC in BDU's, they have a giant white patch in the middle of the shirt.

I don't really think we're treated with a 40 foot pole, althrough I don't understand the rational behind the plastic insignia any longer. To me, CAP's uniforms should be indentical in all respects to the AF in terms of placement of insignia's and tapes, except we should wear the traditional full color.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Gunner C

Quote from: stratoflyer on January 30, 2009, 05:39:44 AM
^Ok. That makes A LOT of sense. That was the best explanation I've heard to date. Now I'm satisfied.

Bring on the purple!

Oh Please NO.  I'll go without rank before I put purple on my flight suit.

stratoflyer

^ :D

Hey, is that an option?

Hey, it's all part of the fun that comes with being in good ol' CAP.

A.Member

With all due respect, the proposal for a purple backed rank insignia is one of the stupidest I've heard in quite some time.   I'd really like to know what Col. Davidson's thought process was on this proposal.  It seems to speak to not only a lack of research on the issue but also a lack of judgement (purple?!...come on). 

Fortunately, this is a non-concur item by all others and should not be passed by the board.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

RiverAux

Quote from: Hawk200 on January 30, 2009, 06:31:37 AM
Quote from: RiverAux on January 29, 2009, 10:18:24 PM
The proposal before the NB next month is for cloth insignia with a purple background apparently. 

Please tell me that's a joke. Or a typo. Or anything that could remotely make it sound like the huge mistake it is.

If not, I think I'm only gonna ever wear blues.
Maybe the person who proposed it was joking, but it is in the agenda. 

BuckeyeDEJ

I guess it's possible that the proposer is colorblind, and thinks the navy blue (darker) nametapes, etc., are purple.

But purple? That's not a color that CAP has ever identified with. Unless maybe he thinks the traditional CAP volunteer red should be mixed with Air Force blue. Ick.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

flyguync

Maybe he was having a Barney flashback from his grandkids movies??? I just wish we would go dark blue with finished edges for everything. Nothing is more of a pain than trying to make sure everything is 1/8". KISS - Keep It Simple Sirs

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: flyguync on January 31, 2009, 12:28:33 AM
Nothing is more of a pain than trying to make sure everything is 1/8".

I take it you've never had kidney stones....

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

SarDragon

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on January 31, 2009, 02:29:52 AM
Quote from: flyguync on January 31, 2009, 12:28:33 AM
Nothing is more of a pain than trying to make sure everything is 1/8".

I take it you've never had kidney stones....

OT. Amen, baby! BTDT! OUCH!
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Vermont Flyer

Hey I'm new to CAP and trying to get my first Nomex Sage Green Flight Suit in order.
I have the plastic encased 2nd. Lt. bars from Vanguard.

Could someone post a quick picture of the proper location and sewing of this for me to use as a go-by so I get it right?  (The shot in 39-1 isn't close enought to see).

I could use a pic of the flag as well for proper positioning relative to the seam.

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Vermont Flyer on February 10, 2009, 10:02:23 PM
Hey I'm new to CAP and trying to get my first Nomex Sage Green Flight Suit in order.

Could someone post a quick picture of the proper location and sewing of this for me to use as a go-by so I get it right?  (The shot in 39-1 isn't close enought to see).

I could use a pic of the flag as well for proper positioning relative to the seam.

I created an 'unofficial' wear guide for the flight suit and utility uniform: http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=5628.0. Hope this helps.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Vermont Flyer

That's very useful, thank you.
But I could still use an actual picture of the plastic encased, sewn on, with proper sewing technique and color of the thread.

Thanks.

Hawk200

Quote from: Vermont Flyer on February 10, 2009, 10:02:23 PM

Both measurements are half an inch from the seam. For the rank, it's on the shoulder, the flag on the arm.

Keep in mind that the rank insignia goes one half inch. That plastic around the lieutenant bar isn't included in the measurement. From the shoulder seam to where the gold of the bar starts is where it's measured. Think of it this way: if you could pin a metal rank directly on top of the plastic (don't actually try it, it's just an example) and it was one half inch from the shoulder seam, then it's right.

Too many people think that the cloth or plastic around an insignia is actually part of it. It's not. Whether cloth or plastic, the measurement begins at the insignia itself.

Eclipse

39-1 has some pics, not the clearest, but gives you the idea...

"That Others May Zoom"