Plastic encased grade insignia

Started by Rotorhead, January 20, 2009, 03:10:31 AM

Eclipse

The link I provided above is dated March 2006.

By "bright" I mean "not subdued".

Quote from: MAR 06 Memo to CC's from NHQ, http://www.cap.gov/documents/NB_Winter_06_Uniforms_Policy_Letterpdf.pdf
e. Embroidered grade insignia on flight suits. Embroidered grade insignia, as
well as the currently authorized plastic encased insignia, is now authorized on the CAP
distinctive flight suits. Ultramarine blue grade insignia will be worn on the ultramarine blue
NOMEX flight suit. Dark blue embroidered grade insignia will be worn on the dark blue
utility uniform and new NOMEX flight suit. The dark blue grade insignia will be available
shortly from Vanguard.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: heliodoc on January 23, 2009, 01:27:42 PM
Sure it costs somethin...so do the chintzy banana republic ribbons we wear.. guess one has to pick what's more important rank or ribbons and as I recall ribbons are optional

Banana what?  Our ribbons are identical in composition, and nearly identical in some case in color to the other uniformed services.

They are optional on service shirts, but not service coats.  Seniors can short-stack, but they must wear something.

"That Others May Zoom"

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: JThemann on January 23, 2009, 04:05:10 PM
Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on January 23, 2009, 02:20:11 PM
I have had Air Force officers question my uniform and ask why I'm wearing "Outdated insignia."  I usually make a sarcastic comment that CAP is allowed to wear outdated insignia because our planes still have propellers.

But really... I'm a little tired of it.  We should be in synch with the rest of the US military world and go to sew-on embroidered insignia.  Losing the leather name badge wouldn't hurt, either.

How can it be 'outdated' if it's out authorized insignia?

If you showed up with embroided, it would be 'unathorized.'

Air Force officers do not customarily read 39-1.  They are laboring under the misconception that when they change regulations, their Auxiliary follows suit.  The Air Force has not worn plastic encased rank since the 80's.
Another former CAP officer

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: Eclipse on January 23, 2009, 05:09:50 PM
Quote from: heliodoc on January 23, 2009, 01:27:42 PM
Sure it costs somethin...so do the chintzy banana republic ribbons we wear.. guess one has to pick what's more important rank or ribbons and as I recall ribbons are optional

Banana what?  Our ribbons are identical in composition, and nearly identical in some case in color to the other uniformed services.

They are optional on service shirts, but not service coats.  Seniors can short-stack, but they must wear something.

Actually, I kind of LIKE looking like a banana republic version of Hermann Goring in my TPU.  I can fake an accent, and by promising waitresses jobs as my Foreign Minister I can skip the tip! >:D

Pylon

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on January 23, 2009, 05:37:52 PM
Air Force officers do not customarily read 39-1.  They are laboring under the misconception that when they change regulations, their Auxiliary follows suit.  The Air Force has not worn plastic encased rank since the 80's.

I hope they don't look at our still-ultramarine-blue BDU nametapes (AF holdovers from the 70's), leather flight badges, lack of nameplate on the sweater, cadets wearing old-style service coats and all the other myriad of uniform changes CAP doesn't necessarily follow up on when the AF makes the change.   Then they might really think we're outdated.  :o
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

JohnKachenmeister

The leather name badge came up in the same "Outdated" conversation.  And the cadet old 4-button jacket might be coming back soon, so they really can't say too much at this time.

dbarbee

Quote from: Eclipse on January 23, 2009, 05:03:49 PM
The link I provided above is dated March 2006.

By "bright" I mean "not subdued".

Quote from: MAR 06 Memo to CC's from NHQ, http://www.cap.gov/documents/NB_Winter_06_Uniforms_Policy_Letterpdf.pdf
e. Embroidered grade insignia on flight suits. Embroidered grade insignia, as
well as the currently authorized plastic encased insignia, is now authorized on the CAP
distinctive flight suits. Ultramarine blue grade insignia will be worn on the ultramarine blue
NOMEX flight suit. Dark blue embroidered grade insignia will be worn on the dark blue
utility uniform and new NOMEX flight suit. The dark blue grade insignia will be available
shortly from Vanguard.

OK, I read a little closer and see you were referring to the embroidered insignia on the blue cloth background. I mis-read it to mean you could wear "bright" insignia on the blue uniform. It made me think "bright" insignia might be a third insignia option.

Got it straight now, thanks!  :)

Daniel Barbee 2d Lt
CAP Pilot / TMP / MS / MO / MP (Trainee)
Council Oak Senior Squadron Tulsa, OK-125
Okahoma Wing / Southwest Region

O-Rex

I was at an MCSS this past weekend and they had the new ABU subdued-on-gray sew-on rank next to the subdued-on-green (this being a transition period and all.) 

There was a world of difference in appearance.

Now you are going to tell me that embroidered full-color on green cloth won't fly with the Air Force?

Does anyone know if this is or was an item presented at an NB or BOG??

One of our CAPTALK bubba's was on a uniform committee: any word??

Are officer aircrews using this new rank on their bags?

Also, anyone ever notice that USAF uniform regs do NOT address the flightsuit??

Ever notice how much you ramble when you hit Starbucks for lunch??  :o

Hawk200

Quote from: O-Rex on January 26, 2009, 10:54:30 PMAlso, anyone ever notice that USAF uniform regs do NOT address the flightsuit??

If you searched for "flightsuit" in the the newest AFI 36-2903 (latest one out is 2 Aug 2006, includes Change 1 dated 7 Aug 2007), you won't find it.

However, search for "Flight Dress Uniform", and you'll get the whole thing.

As far as the grey cloth background insignia, that doesn't seem to be addressed. Since the olive green is phasing out, the Air Force may decide to go with something that actually matches the flightsuit. I've seen old officer insignia in full color on sage before, used to have a few of them. Subdued on sage is pretty easy to do. Vanguard already has that for Navy types. A few of the rank insignia would need alteration for wear on an Air Force uniform.

O-Rex

Quote from: Hawk200 on January 26, 2009, 11:32:57 PM
Quote from: O-Rex on January 26, 2009, 10:54:30 PMAlso, anyone ever notice that USAF uniform regs do NOT address the flightsuit??

If you searched for "flightsuit" in the the newest AFI 36-2903 (latest one out is 2 Aug 2006, includes Change 1 dated 7 Aug 2007), you won't find it.

However, search for "Flight Dress Uniform", and you'll get the whole thing.

As far as the grey cloth background insignia, that doesn't seem to be addressed. Since the olive green is phasing out, the Air Force may decide to go with something that actually matches the flightsuit. I've seen old officer insignia in full color on sage before, used to have a few of them. Subdued on sage is pretty easy to do. Vanguard already has that for Navy types. A few of the rank insignia would need alteration for wear on an Air Force uniform.

Somehow "Flight Dress Uniform" conjures up images of the bag with mini medals and mess-dress shoulder-boards. . . .   ;D

They'll probably go with the gray rank: should blend with everything.

Anyone know if black boots and black t-shirts are going away in favor of green boots and tan t-shirts (for USAF, that is.)  In know they wear it with tan FS's 'in theater.'

wacapgh

Quote from: O-Rex on January 26, 2009, 10:54:30 PMNow you are going to tell me that embroidered full-color on green cloth won't fly with the Air Force?

I think it was submitted to USAF back in 2004 with no reply. Not "Yes", not "No". Nothing.

O-Rex

Quote from: wacapgh on January 28, 2009, 09:12:06 PM
Quote from: O-Rex on January 26, 2009, 10:54:30 PMNow you are going to tell me that embroidered full-color on green cloth won't fly with the Air Force?

I think it was submitted to USAF back in 2004 with no reply. Not "Yes", not "No". Nothing.

You think we could ask again, FIVE years later??  ???

This isn't about looking more 'USAF-ish' it's about COST & availability: I (and I'm sure I'm not alone) would rather spend a dollar for sew-on (whatever the color) than eight dollars for plastic-encased rank.

Strick

I honestly do not have a problem with the look or functionality of the plastic rank.  My problem is the cost.  Also I have a older bag with bright grade on od cloth.  Shame on me, it was not authorized but at the time it was the only thing aviliable because the plastic was back ordered. 
[darn]atio memoriae

DC

Quote from: dbarbee on January 23, 2009, 04:49:17 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on January 20, 2009, 05:31:36 AM
Quote from: IceNine on January 20, 2009, 03:23:20 AM
There are 2 different flight suits.

Until 28 February there are three:

Green - only thing authorized is plastic encased.

Dark blue - will be bright insignia on dark blue embroidered

Ultramarine  blue - can be either plastic encased or bright on ultramarine blue embroidered.

What I love is that some outdated KB answers say that the ultramarine blue flight suit is already unauthorized for wear.
http://www.cap.gov/documents/NB_Winter_06_Uniforms_Policy_Letterpdf.pdf

Also, the dark blue non-Nomex utility jumpsuit is bright insignia on dark blue embroidered.

What is the reference authorizing bright insignia for the Dark Blue Flight Suit & Blue Utility Uniform? All I can find authorized is  plastic-encased & embroidered (39-1 Change Letter 25Jan08)

By bright insignia, do you mean metallic, non-plastic encased?
He means the insignia is true color, i.e. Captain's bars are silver, a Major's oak leaves are gold, etc. as opposed to the 'subdued' colors used by the military, where silver becomes a dark blue, and gold a dark bronzish color.

EDIT: Never mind, I didn't notice there was a second page, and the question had been answered..

RiverAux

The proposal before the NB next month is for cloth insignia with a purple background apparently. 

SilverEagle2

^^ I threw up a little in my mouth when I read that in the agenda. I don't think the NB will vote it in as it appears that Vanguard has a supplier for the Plastic.

I'd rather wear the dark blue with bright over a silly purple on the green suit.
     Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP
Commander, Rocky Mountain Region

"People are not excellent because they achieve great things;
they achieve great things because they choose to be excellent."
Gerald G. Probst,
Beloved Grandfather, WWII B-24 Pilot, Successful Businessman

Eclipse

Quote from: SilverEagle2 on January 29, 2009, 10:31:09 PM
^^ I threw up a little in my mouth when I read that in the agenda. I don't think the NB will vote it in as it appears that Vanguard has a supplier for the Plastic.

I'd rather wear the dark blue with bright over a silly purple on the green suit.

I like it!  But only on the green flight suit!   ;)

"That Others May Zoom"

SilverEagle2

Nope, one more thing for vanguard to get wrong.

Throws back to the berry grade sleeves. Yuck.

Heck I'll even take bright on grey.  >:D
     Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP
Commander, Rocky Mountain Region

"People are not excellent because they achieve great things;
they achieve great things because they choose to be excellent."
Gerald G. Probst,
Beloved Grandfather, WWII B-24 Pilot, Successful Businessman

Smokey

PURPLE  !!!    PURPLE!!!

What did we do this time to get...purple.  Shades of Barry Boards.

I think I just went blind from seeing that.

I know a proposal was for full color on OD green...kinda like the Navy.
I could even swallow on dark blue...but PURPLE.   Is Jimi Hendrix behind this?
For cadets.....Google Jimi Hendrix & purple since it is before your time.
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

MIKE

Hock Shops insignia is already purple. Ducks *
Mike Johnston