New Army Uniform Announced

Started by DNall, August 25, 2008, 10:41:37 AM

stratoflyer

Ok, just saw the pics with the coat on. Doesn't look as bad with the coat on. But the thing is, if blue is the color of army heritage, why do cadets at westpoint wear grey? Air Force Academy cadets wear blue and white which is distinctive, but still close. Why are the shoulder sleeves gone?

During the Spanish-American war, did the army wear a white shirt underneath the blue coat? Did Custer wear a white shirt? Washington wore a white (don't know what it's called) underneath his blue coat.

Look, I understand that dark blue has been the color of the army for a long time until they went green, but that uniform without the coat doesn't say army at all? It looks very foreign.
"To infinity, and beyond!"

Eduardo Rodriguez, 2LT, CAP

Grumpy

Although I don't care for all the bling on the shirt, one thing that makes it look worse is that the shirt looks about two sizes too large for him.

DC

Quote from: stratoflyer on August 25, 2008, 07:48:07 PM
Ok, just saw the pics with the coat on. Doesn't look as bad with the coat on. But the thing is, if blue is the color of army heritage, why do cadets at westpoint wear grey? Air Force Academy cadets wear blue and white which is distinctive, but still close. Why are the shoulder sleeves gone?

During the Spanish-American war, did the army wear a white shirt underneath the blue coat? Did Custer wear a white shirt? Washington wore a white (don't know what it's called) underneath his blue coat.

Look, I understand that dark blue has been the color of the army for a long time until they went green, but that uniform without the coat doesn't say army at all? It looks very foreign.

It does look very 'veterans' organization'... They had originally planned a grey shirt, which IMO looked a lot better..

DNall

Quote from: cap235629 on August 25, 2008, 06:00:55 PM
Oh and at least we now know that black leather combat boots will still be available through AAFES!
That would be much more expensive jump boots, and only in those targeted markets at Airborne units. Not the help you're looking for.

QuoteMaybe we can adopt this white shirt in place of the aviator shirt to make it more accessible and affordable.
And standardized. Now that's a great idea.

Along that vain, the black windbreaker and a new black pullover and cardigan sweaters will be avail to wear with the class Bs. That's additional outerwear for our corps.

stratoflyer

I definitely think that this shirt should be the standard aviator shirt for us.

There, see? Some good came out of this!
"To infinity, and beyond!"

Eduardo Rodriguez, 2LT, CAP

alamrcn

The Army white shirt for our Aviator shirt. Haven't actually seen one, but it seems to meet the same purpose and sounds logical as a more plentiful resource to me. Assuming everyone on our end said "heck ya," would we have to get Army approval to use it?

I looked at the uniforms on the linked-to website for awhile... and after awhile, they start to not be THAT bad. Isn't this just more of a shock to the system after having had the preceeding uniform for so long? Look at it this way... Say the new uniform has been used for decades, and all of a sudden they change to having EVERYTHING a shade of GREEN! Eewwww.

Isn't the Army Aviation (Warrent Officers, chopper pilots) uniform already very similar?

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

Flying Pig

What the heck is going on!!!  Stop the madness!!!  They look like a bunch of JROTC cadets.

DNall

Quote from: alamrcn on August 25, 2008, 11:26:26 PM
The Army white shirt for our Aviator shirt. Haven't actually seen one, but it seems to meet the same purpose and sounds logical as a more plentiful resource to me. Assuming everyone on our end said "heck ya," would we have to get Army approval to use it?
No. We already use their black lightweight jacket as outerwear with our corp service uniform. (we're still doing that right?) Which as I said, they're adding sweaters now too. That's nice in that it aligns with the options for blues.

Details on the shirt... It's just like the current AF blue & Army green shirt, but white of course. Meaning better construction and weave. It also has perm mil creases (sleeves), also nice. Long & Short sleeve avail (obviously) and the eps are designed to take a military sized grade sleeve, versus the airline style.

They had to do something with that cause the previously auth under coat shirt was just any commercial white shirt. It didn't matter cause you couldn't see it anyway. This'll be a real good item for CAP though.

QuoteI looked at the uniforms on the linked-to website for awhile... and after awhile, they start to not be THAT bad. Isn't this just more of a shock to the system after having had the preceeding uniform for so long? Look at it this way... Say the new uniform has been used for decades, and all of a sudden they change to having EVERYTHING a shade of GREEN! Eewwww.
Yeah they suck! I actually like Army blues with the coat quite a lot. I don't really like the green class As/Bs at all. The strongest opinion around the Army was for return of pink & greens (WWII era khaki & green).

The other issue some of yall may not understand... they have ACUs, Blues, and mess dress now. BUT, they don't use it like the AF. The mess dress is worn only for VERY formal events of the kind you'd never attend in CAP. For events (like dining-out) where you'd wear mess dress in the AF/CAP, the Army wears this same uniform with a bowtie - basically the semi-formal AF uniform. That means you're wearing the same uniform for daily office work as to a tuxedo event. Both practically and in terms of formality, that's not the best idea. That's an area where they need to take a note from the AF, but the Army would never do that.

QuoteIsn't the Army Aviation (Warrent Officers, chopper pilots) uniform already very similar?
WHAT??? The only different uniform for Army Aviation is the flight suit. The new Army Army Aviation Combat Uniform (A2CU) is 2-piece & looks almost just like ACUs - which is kind of the point, ie not sniper bait.

JohnKachenmeister

OSCAR...     MIKE...    GOLF!

OK, I give up!

After seeing the Navy's abortion and this Army uniform, I promise I will NEVER whine about the TPU again!

In fact, by comparison, WE look pretty sharp in the TPU.

I still wish we'd lose the silver sleeve braid, though.
Another former CAP officer

hatentx

Wow I am glad the wear date isnt until 2014.  I should be gone by then, that thing in horrible as the Class B set up.

What is wrong with the sown on Combat Patch?  The Metal Pin looks sharp but you need some place else to put it besides the bottom right pocket where other badges already go. 

With the Jacket I have always thought that to be my favorite uniform.  I think it looks really sharp.  The addition of a combat patch and some over seas strips would have looked great in my opinion
Quote from: alamrcn on August 25, 2008, 11:26:26 PM

I looked at the uniforms on the linked-to website for awhile... and after awhile, they start to not be THAT bad. Isn't this just more of a shock to the system after having had the preceeding uniform for so long? Look at it this way... Say the new uniform has been used for decades, and all of a sudden they change to having EVERYTHING a shade of GREEN! Eewwww.

Isn't the Army Aviation (Warrent Officers, chopper pilots) uniform already very similar?

I am lost on this one.  You think we wear a white shirt to go fly on our everyday mission?  Warrants or even Commissioned Pilots in the Army wear like what was already said the A2CUs or a one piece flight suit which are being phased out as of right now.  As it comes to the service uniform the Army Aviation world is just the same as the rest of the Army.  We just get wings ;D

DNall

They didn't want to sew patches onto a jacket used in lieu of a tux. I would agree with that. They should go with patches on the shirt though. I wouldn't mind seeing sew-on sleeve stripes for NCOs instead of on the eps too (jr enlisted still pin the collar).

We already have pins for tabs (SF, ranger, sapper, etc). I don't really like those, but whatever. It doesn't look TOO bad as long as you're only wearing one badge on the pocket. Not even CAP tries to double up on the same pocket. That's silly. I don't like it on the jacket either.

They are adding overseas stripes to the coat for both officer and enlisted. I don't like it on the officer coat. Service stripes are gone for enlisted. I also don't like commission braid on NCO pants or coat.

Whocares

Okay, let us think about this.  The setup for this new shirt is the exact same as the Class B shirt (minus the combat pin).  That is, everything that that guy is wearing is in the same place as it would be on a Class B shirt.  With everything pinned to the Class B shirt, it still looks stupid.  I have a feeling that you will see just about the same number of people wearing everything on the white shirt as you see wearing everything on the class B shirt. 

The jacket is the same set up as the Dress Blues except for the combat pin.

Over all, the uniform is not really all that different than the already established uniforms.  The ASU jacket is the exact same as the Dress Blues.  The White shirt is the exact same as the Class B uniform.  So really there is nothing to complain about.  The bloused boots is only for Airborne Units (82nd, 101st, SF, Ranger, etc).  So you will not see that as a common practice for the general Army.

Personally, I like the white shirt with the blue pants better than the Marine Corps Class C uniforms.  After all, the khaki shirt with dress blue pants just looks dorky to me. 

This picture I think is simply better with the white shirt since the guy is not wearing the Airborne getup.  personally, I think the Airborne getup needs to go away.  You are already wearing enough to identify that you are in an Airborne unit that you do not need to wear bloused boots.  After all, the color field behind the Airborne Wings and the Maroon Beret is not enough. 

hatentx

Quote from: Whocares on August 26, 2008, 02:59:56 AM
Okay, let us think about this.  The setup for this new shirt is the exact same as the Class B shirt (minus the combat pin).  That is, everything that that guy is wearing is in the same place as it would be on a Class B shirt.  With everything pinned to the Class B shirt, it still looks stupid.  I have a feeling that you will see just about the same number of people wearing everything on the white shirt as you see wearing everything on the class B shirt. 

The jacket is the same set up as the Dress Blues except for the combat pin.

Over all, the uniform is not really all that different than the already established uniforms.  The ASU jacket is the exact same as the Dress Blues.  The White shirt is the exact same as the Class B uniform.  So really there is nothing to complain about.  The bloused boots is only for Airborne Units (82nd, 101st, SF, Ranger, etc).  So you will not see that as a common practice for the general Army.

Personally, I like the white shirt with the blue pants better than the Marine Corps Class C uniforms.  After all, the khaki shirt with dress blue pants just looks dorky to me. 

This picture I think is simply better with the white shirt since the guy is not wearing the Airborne getup.  personally, I think the Airborne getup needs to go away.  You are already wearing enough to identify that you are in an Airborne unit that you do not need to wear bloused boots.  After all, the color field behind the Airborne Wings and the Maroon Beret is not enough. 

You know what you are exactly right.  There really isnt a huge difference between the two other than the Combat Pin and specialty tabs.  I think on the Class B shirt though it makes it way to bussy.  Now I know as well as most others that nobody really wears the Class B uniform.  Mostly worn in the Class A uniform. 
I guess I see the Tux side of things but what would it really matter to have a Combat Patch or unit patch on the tux? 

Maybe the fix could be moving unit patch and combat patch to the shoulder boards instead of wearing the DUI on them.  I dont know I think it would be easier just adding the patches to make it not look so cluttered.   

I personally like the Airborne blousing the pants but it just looks a little on in the blues.  The Army gives the Infantry all the special cool stuff so maybe it is just my Infantry envy but who knows. 

DNall

It's too much bling in the example, but very few people would ever be that self-centered. On the jacket, sure go all out, but on the shirt it should be more reserved.

I hate the blousing of blue pants. I hate the beret w/ blues. Overall though, I think it's the white shirt that's catching the most heat. Gray would have gone over better. I don't like the couple changes to the jacket, but they're minor.

cap235629

Quote from: DNall on August 25, 2008, 09:12:20 PM
Oh and at least we now know that black leather combat boots will still be available through AAFES!
That would be much more expensive jump boots, and only in those targeted markets at Airborne units. Not the help you're looking for.

QuoteMaybe we can adopt this white shirt in place of the aviator shirt to make it more accessible and affordable.

Along that vain, the black windbreaker and a new black pullover and cardigan sweaters will be avail to wear with the class Bs. That's additional outerwear for our corps.

MP's are everywhere and also wear the bloused boots when on patrol duties in garrison when class a or b is the uniform of the day
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

hatentx

But everybody wearing the Buss driver cap though?  I know they use to back in the day but I dont know about it.  The Beret isnt the best choice either but I think it is better than the other option available.  I noticed that it says commanders can make the decision on the head gear worn and I am sure that it will be the beret just for the simple state.  I own the blues and wear a Stetson which I think looks a ton better with the uniform. 

The white shirt I agree it stand out way to much against the uniform, but the gray just looked dirty I thought.  I am just not crazy about it all though.  The Combat pin just makes it look to busy.  Will the pins all be the same size?  Or will they be similar to the actually patches.  Could you imagine a recruiter badge next to the 7 in 1st Cav patch? 

hatentx

Quote from: cap235629 on August 26, 2008, 03:42:53 AM
Quote from: DNall on August 25, 2008, 09:12:20 PM

How often is the MP uniform Class Bs though?

MP's are everywhere and also wear the bloused boots when on patrol duties in garrison when class b is the uniform of the day

cap235629

MDW, every day before retreat, at commanders discretion everywhere.

If the installation commander wants MP's in class B, that's what he gets

When I was an MP day shift was ALWAYS in Class B on most bases (especially TRADOC bases)

I actually preferred it because my duty gear stayed put (You can wear belt keepers)

I HATED wearing a Sam Browne Belt on BDU's because everything moved around because you were wearing the belt OVER the bottom pockets of the BDU top because the waist was never in the right place.

(we also wore Brassards AND Badges on Class A/B with white MP saucer cap)

Every post I was ever on was A/B on holidays as well
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP

hatentx

Well I know now at the the Army bases I have been at now that the few MPs that are not deployed and actually on "the beat" if you will are in ACUs.  I actually have never seen them in Class Bs other than in the movies about the good ol days ;)

Sadly it is mostly civilian Contractors.

cap235629

Quote from: hatentx on August 26, 2008, 04:04:11 AM

Sadly it is mostly civilian Contractors.

Actually they are DA Civilians if they are "Police Officers"  contractors are used for guard duty

We had them when I was in as well

I have been off AD since 1991 so my description is a bit dated, but the rules are still the same.  You don't see them much at the present time because of deployments but most FORSCOM bases still have MP's on patrol augmented by DA civilian police officers

Just trying to clarify that some "legs" still blouse their Class A/B
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP